DIY - NVH Insulation and Tested Part 2

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Folks ! :wavey:

I upgraded my car rims recently from 14" to 15" :biggrin: Width size? See it yourself:

(Photo courtesy of Stupidcar - those are his feet)

The size increased from 175 to 205 and inevitably this caused the road noise in my car cabin be well, noisier.

Some of you might have already read my previous DIY post on my car NVH Insulation. Well you can revisit the thread here for reference:

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/do-it-yourself-garage/428346-nvh-diy-and-tested.html

Ok so this new set of shoes for my car is really noisy but grips like a stubborn ant on your windscreen even you are doing 200kmh. But how noisy is it? :driver:

Lets do a comparison:

1. Stock insulation at 60kmh = 72dBA, Max 74dBA
After insulating whole car = 70dBA, Max 77dBA
After changing to 205 tyre = 71dBA, Max 78dBA

2. Stock insulation at 110kmh = 74dBA, Max 84dBA
After insulating whole car = 69dBA, Max 81dBA
After changing to 205 tyre = 77dBA, Max 89dBA

Yes! It is very noisy. :banghead:

So time for some wheel arc insulation babeh !

1. I bought this Dunlop Bituminous adhesive for RM30 at hardware shop. This is a 4L can. ACE Hardware is selling 1L can for RM12.90

2. Jack up the car. Important! - use a jackstand to support the car.

3. Take out the wheels and clean the wheel arc

Make sure it is clean and free from dirt, grime, grease, or any kind of shit.

4. Use a paint brush, apply the insulation just like painting the wall

I apply 1 thick coat, followed by a second thin coat to even things out. This thing dries up and hardens pretty quick.

5. Meanwhile, you can also apply the underneath of the car. Just dont apply at area which is too near to the exhaust because bitumen is flammable.

Time for some readings! I used the same route as Insulation Part 1. The jalan kuching then duke highway.

1. At 60kmh,

2. At 90kmh,

3. At 110kmh

Conclusion: At 60kmh, the noise data after insulation is even greater. How could this be? Well because at that speed, the main noise is not from the tyre (passing car, motorbike preeet preet preeet~, people honking, etc)

At 90kmh, we can see that the average noise is same, but the max is lower by 1dBA. Notice that in the middle of the graph, the noise is lower. That could means that at that period there wasnt any outer interference.

At 110kmh, this is where the noise is significantly reduced. While the average reading is the same at 77dBA, the max reading is reduced to 86dBA.

I can conclude that the reduction is only somewhere around 1-2dBA. Which is not bad for RM30 :biggrin:. To the ears the noise reduction is greater than the readings because I can clearly notice that the humming sound of tyre is significantly reduced especially when coming to a stop from high speed.

Meanwhile....when I took off my rims to apply the insulation, I did this...

This is my rims center cone. Originally it is metal colour (shiny with some rusty colour). I sprayed it with 2 layers of red and 1 layer of clear lacquer and this is the result - tadah ~ I plastidipped the center with black dip too.

Thanks for reading and happy DIY :burnout:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
comparing ur original tire with Federal 595 RS-R? its no wonder not much difference...

most UHP tires arent known to be quiet in the first place... best to compare with the same tire model.

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
cvkit, from 175 to 205 = 30mm wider!!! Do you feel sluggish? I'm using 195 edi feel it's heavy on my 1.3L little tiny engine. How is the grip and handling of your ride?

PS: Upgrading always happy and excited.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
comparing ur original tire with Federal 595 RS-R? its no wonder not much difference...

most UHP tires arent known to be quiet in the first place... best to compare with the same tire model.
Haha ya. But I'm also comparing before and after wheel arc insulation on rsr.

cvkit, from 175 to 205 = 30mm wider!!! Do you feel sluggish? I'm using 195 edi feel it's heavy on my 1.3L little tiny engine. How is the grip and handling of your ride?

Acceleration slower, yes. Sluggish, luckily no. A tap to the pedal can still overtake cars without much difficulties on the road. The grip is a lot better of course if compared to stock. The only setback is I'm actually sliding off my seat because of body roll lol

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
try varying the tyre pressure........and see if there is changes in the cabin noise.

I suspect with the "right" pressure, bumps can be better absorbed by the tyres, and lesser vibration transmitted to the car body and lesser noise.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
try varying the tyre pressure........and see if there is changes in the cabin noise.

I suspect with the "right" pressure, bumps can be better absorbed by the tyres, and lesser vibration transmitted to the car body and lesser noise.
I guess if higher pressure the noise would be reduced by a little because surface contact lessen. But it will be very bumpy and not good for the tyre...I pumped 35psi last 2 weeks, cold.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

On the RSR, don't pump too low. Ultra hard sidewalls not going to make a difference with lower pressure (much).

cvkit : that's the amount of pressure I use on those tyres when they were still mine :biggrin: grip trumps comfort.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
any performance tyre thread pattern = noisy

haha...

and those bitumen tar layer..yes i would say it only reduce +-1db across the range....

if u want greater cabin reduction..need to apply the bitumen sound proofing matt from inside the car as well as other sound deadening foam along the way....

with my satria....using the bitumen sound proofing matt i got around 11db-13db reduction average and another 1db reduction with the wheel-arch tar coating....very thick ( 1 litre bucket for only 2 rear wheel-arches)

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
On the RSR, don't pump too low. Ultra hard sidewalls not going to make a difference with lower pressure (much).

cvkit : that's the amount of pressure I use on those tyres when they were still mine :biggrin: grip trumps comfort.
U hardcore mah :rofl:

any performance tyre thread pattern = noisy

haha...

and those bitumen tar layer..yes i would say it only reduce +-1db across the range....

if u want greater cabin reduction..need to apply the bitumen sound proofing matt from inside the car as well as other sound deadening foam along the way....

with my satria....using the bitumen sound proofing matt i got around 11db-13db reduction average and another 1db reduction with the wheel-arch tar coating....very thick ( 1 litre bucket for only 2 rear wheel-arches)
wow 11dBA thats a lot! I did some insulation on the doors and floors also. But i only did deadening for the doors and rear boot area coz its kinda expensive to me. Floor and roof I just used PE foam. Manage to reduce 4-5dBA.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
The rim and tire...so familiar....

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I guess if higher pressure the noise would be reduced by a little because surface contact lessen. But it will be very bumpy and not good for the tyre...I pumped 35psi last 2 weeks, cold.
No need 35psi cold leh! For your myvi 30 to 32psi is enough....:driver:

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

For him, is 175/65R14 to 205/50R15 which is very close to each other, bigger by 0.5% only in overall diameter. Your 195 is 55 or 50 series upgraded from what size?

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
No need 35psi cold leh! For your myvi 30 to 32psi is enough....:driver:

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

For him, is 175/65R14 to 205/50R15 which is very close to each other, bigger by 0.5% only in overall diameter. Your 195 is 55 or 50 series upgraded from what size?
Vr bro, i'm from 185 65 R14 to 195 55 R15. Maybe next tyre will change back to 185 55 R15 as current set clocked more than 57k mileage.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Vr bro, i'm from 185 65 R14 to 195 55 R15. Maybe next tyre will change back to 185 55 R15 as current set clocked more than 57k mileage.
Bro., that is correct fit, almost same size. -0.1% difference only.

If change to 185/55R15, the overall diameter will be smaller by 1.95%, and will look pretty small but acceleration will be faster....hahaha :biggrin:

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Bro., that is correct fit, almost same size. -0.1% difference only.

If change to 185/55R15, the overall diameter will be smaller by 1.95%, and will look pretty small but acceleration will be faster....hahaha :biggrin:
Previously using GY Durago GA 185 55 R14, feel bumpy (after 45k clocked, 1.5 year). Then around 60k i decided to change better tyre and go for michelin. Driving it home, feel more grip and comfort ride than Durago GA. But in the meantime i feel it's heavier than previous.

PS: I know i should not compare Durago GA (entry tyre) with PS3.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H8K3Nk3PghU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="350" width="600"></iframe>

If given the choice, which would you prefer the most: a carefully-engineered piece of automotive marvel like the Bugatti Veyron, or the bad boy supercar like the Lamborghini Gallardo? Of course one of the advantages that will put the Veyron above the Bull is its insane 1001-horsepower W16 engine and the ability to smash through the 400km/h barrier, which no...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience