Cooling Solutions

ken12292703

Drives a shopping cart...
Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
Hie, Happy Chinese New Year to all!

I went to genting highlands for a 1 day trip with my relatives on the 2nd day of Chinese New Year. I noticed that; no matter how new or old the car is, there will be sure to see them stranded by the road side popping up hoods. I kept thinking on how to improve the cooling system so such cases will not happen.

What should we do to improve the cooling efficiency?

TiBuN

Known Member
May 16, 2004
Penang / BM
Visit site
Those stranded at the side of the road is not because its cooling is not good.... it's more like breakdown due to high temp and abnormal situation.
It has nothing to do with the existing cooling system of your car. A 20 years old Mitsubishi Colt will still do fine if there's all components are ok.

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Majority pushed their cars to the limit especially those with auto tranny. Even my dad's Landcruiser VX auto tranny overheats if kept using '2' all the way to GH. Same goes for my mom's Kia Carnival... after reaching the hotel, can smell burned ATF n car will jerk when changing gears.

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
they could open the hood bcoz of the brake smell, burnt clutch, and etc... be sure u have sufficient water in d radiator before u go up to gentings...

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
ken12292703 said:
Hie, Happy Chinese New Year to all!

I went to genting highlands for a 1 day trip with my relatives on the 2nd day of Chinese New Year. I noticed that; no matter how new or old the car is, there will be sure to see them stranded by the road side popping up hoods. I kept thinking on how to improve the cooling system so such cases will not happen.

What should we do to improve the cooling efficiency?
Prevention is better than cure.

Always practice regular maintainanace and periodical checks on the engine.

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
erm, as long as you mantain your radiator, shouldnt be a problem even when revving the shit out of your car up genting, i usually do that to mine, no problem so far of oveheating also, but i remmeber once when i was underheat larr, the engine was too cold to operate, have to keep stepping on the accalerator is not the engine like wanna die like that.... :( and that was on my way up to genting samor..kekekke e:P

kher

1,500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
Klang, Selangor
Visit site
Nola... U muz buy the Genting Sentra oni can no prob go genting 1. C the taxi drivers. Touge there everyday also ok ma...hahaha.... Juz jk...

Actually for normal driving to genting the problems they always meet is brake problems, overheat coz radiator forget add water or clutch burnt. Other that tat is rare cases la.

Not to say once u push ur car the max limit u'll hav prob but if u push the car to the max limit u should be prepare la if any prob persists. It shouldn't be any surprise.

ehaab

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2005
Malaysia
the problem as most of u pointed out is the driving style and the second is proper maintenance of the car.

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
check everything before go to genting lo...

drive gently n monitor water temp.....dun hold the gear for too long....

when turun bukit.....use gear to slow down..dun owes use brake..later brake oso burnt..

ken12292703

Drives a shopping cart...
Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
Thanks. Brake and cluth burns is because of the driving techniques during uphill and downhill. Most of all is the quality as well. But overheating is one thing that we cannot predict. If the water pump fail during uphill then kauu kauu already. Phobia larr.

Northiswara

2,000 RPM
Dec 21, 2005
install small radiator fan or air con fan in front of ur radiator and let i spins everytime ur engine starts.
this can guarantee ur water temperature never reach 1/4 of it. a few of my fren using it now. but if the water temperature is low, ur engine is not that efficient as engine will operate best at certain temperature.

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
Northiswara said:
install small radiator fan or air con fan in front of ur radiator and let i spins everytime ur engine starts.
this can guarantee ur water temperature never reach 1/4 of it. a few of my fren using it now. but if the water temperature is low, ur engine is not that efficient as engine will operate best at certain temperature.
car cannot running at too low or too high temperature....purpose of radiator is to maintain ur car engine temperature....not too let it get freeze/overheat....

BTW, stock car dun need electrical fan, if overheat...then there muz be a problem wit it

my2cent

Northiswara

2,000 RPM
Dec 21, 2005
so the best solution is u put GOOD coolant 2 bottle. and every 3-6 month flash ur radiator. maintain it properly then u no need worry.

georgett

Known Member
Oct 11, 2006
all those prob can solve by electrical water pump.
We just tested on 1 wira1.6 auto (4 adult) to GH last nite and the temp maintain 84-86 degree celcious.

Northiswara

2,000 RPM
Dec 21, 2005
got electrical water pump for proton? how much $$??
not bad.. i know the BMW 3 series new engine is using electrical water pump and it improve engine horsepower.
previously i was using stock water pump and the temperature maintain somewhere near to 2nd line. then i change to made in japan pump and the temperature will drop til 1st line if the car is going at 60km/h all the way.
my stock water pump got a hole. damm.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

In my own opinion, I've been to both Ah Lai exhaust and Jian Hang...but I've heard Ah Heng is good too, but pricy, so is JFA

but both Ah Lai and Jian Hang are charging quite expensive too, so in terms of price and workmanship...which is the best?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience