castrol magnatec causes con rod bearing damage?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
Helo, just my 2cents about Magnatec. I do come to know original Castrol Magnatec, has the service reminder plastic (nearly vinyl quality, difficult to remove from the label) sticker label at the back of the bottle while fake ones don't. Fake ones just a print on the label at the back of the bottle.

I doubt magnatec is suitable for rev-happy drivers' car in long term. It's just mineral oil grade with special synthetic additives but that doesn't make it a semi synthetic oil suitable for sportive purposes. It's meant for normal passenger car where sportive driving is a rare occasion. The good bit is - it is a very good engine oil for old engines that has clocked more than 200,000km, better than GTX, Eneos or Shell Helix mineral grade I'd say. My old-man's Mazda BG 1.6 Sohc carbie with more than 400,000kms on it runs on Magnatec and it's working smooth without much noise from the cam-rockers despite going down on viscosity from GTX 20W50 to Mag15W40, and the engine doesn't emit much heat anymore on hillclimbs. Different when its running on GTX or Eneos.

However, it doesn't work well with my 4G92p after compression increased and lightening of some internal parts. It burns out quick and engine's a little hot, despite it doesn't make my engine go noisy or actually dampens performance - but I hated the extra temperature and the fact the oil burnt away. Changed to Idemitsu's Extreme Touring 15W40 and worked well with oil level and heat issue.

Oh that reminds me. I think Castrol had to sue someone or some organisation because of their oil classification. The body classified it as a mineral oil and Castrol had it thrown out and then later reclassified it as semi-syn. Can't remember the exact story but there was some huge hoo-hah about that oil classification case. Can't remember whether it was Magnatec or not. Whatever the case the oil was in some grey area a cross between mineral and synthetic or something. Very suspicious that they had to sue to get it done like that.

Oh that reminds me. I think Castrol had to sue someone or some organisation because of their oil classification. The body classified it as a mineral oil and Castrol had it thrown out and then later reclassified it as semi-syn. Can't remember the exact story but there was some huge hoo-hah about that oil classification case. Can't remember whether it was Magnatec or not. Whatever the case the oil was in some grey area a cross between mineral and synthetic or something. Very suspicious that they had to sue to get it done like that.

I guess it was only a marketing stint... if the castrol magnatec is in the synthetic category be it semi or full, castrol themselves wouldn't have to mention the magnatec is 'combined with synthetic technology' in their explanation of the oil's benefits. If its already a synthetic blend, why Castrol would wanna mention that... but this is just what I thought, but my regular parts shop grampa noted its only mineral oil, only 'special'.

oh... correct there vr2turbo. oh well... Magnatec might as well be considered semi-syn, but I just don't believe its an actual semi-syn or syn-blend. Maybe Castrol should've be clear about Magnatec 10W40 or 15W40 in our domestic market IS a semi-syn instead of juggling with marketing words, like they dare to declare Edge being fully synthetic.

Marketing buff, I find it unusual that if Castrol intended its Magnatec in the semi-syn/syn-blend market group but not openly declare it's semi-syn while other competitors are declaring it... Castrol must be very confident nobody would eat its share...

anyway, I'd still recommend it for normal passenger cars with not much 'spirit of competition' load to the engine.

this is a correction update...
I retract back everything I said about Magnatec being a mineral grade oil. It is definitely declared in Australia's Castrol website under FAQ section... Magnatec is of semi synthetic / syn-blend. Its so happen I only found Castrol Australia have this declaration.

this is a correction update...
I retract back everything I said about Magnatec being a mineral grade oil. It is definitely declared in Australia's Castrol website under FAQ section... Magnatec is of semi synthetic / syn-blend. Its so happen I only found Castrol Australia have this declaration.

Actually, this is controversial. But I can't find anything online about it other that ionic engine oil from BobtheOilGuy so I'll leave it at that.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom