Boost level control - via wastegate or boost controller?

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Salam/Greet all..

As per title, I gave a scenario...

1. I got a turbo that can handle 1.5bar max boost.
  2. It's actuator (internal wastegate la) is set to 0.7bar by manufacturer.
  3. Got a replacement actuator that are adjustable to 1.5bar boost
  4. To achieve target hp for the engine, I need to up boost to 1.2bar
Where is the best place to up boost given the scenario above? in my mind....

1. Replace to adj actuator and set it to 1.2bar; or
  2. leave the standard actuator in place, just use a good boost controller to up the boost to desired level?

I'm not going to up my boost anytime soon.... just want to know since I'm very much curious as to what path tuners/otais/sifus would choose...

...thanks for reading :love::adore::love:

Last edited:

egiewan

500 RPM
Jul 31, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Newbie answer from me la hehe. I think a good electronic boost controller is the best option because you can do so much more with one! You can set how fast you want to boost to come, warning/overboost cut, scramble boost, boost based on speed and so much more :-)

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Newbie answer from me la hehe. I think a good electronic boost controller is the best option because you can do so much more with one! You can set how fast you want to boost to come, warning/overboost cut, scramble boost, boost based on speed and so much more :-)
izzit stable/constant at peak boost?

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
rm55,cheapo manual boost controller.just tune that thing,then ur boost will be 1.2 bar.wallaa done.no need to change to wastegate or another actuator.
IF the stock actuator can resist the boost up to 1.2 bar.

got money?change to wastegate,weld the actuator shut.

owh egiewan answer also on of the solution.

btw,what kind of turbo are u using?

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
my car only a kancil with a turbo engine..... even the turbo is stock...

just pose the question because i'm curious that's all since there are many way to up boost..

rm55,cheapo manual boost controller.just tune that thing,then ur boost will be 1.2 bar.wallaa done.no need to change to wastegate or another actuator.
IF the stock actuator can resist the boost up to 1.2 bar.

got money?change to wastegate,weld the actuator shut.

owh egiewan answer also on of the solution.

btw,what kind of turbo are u using?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I am not expert in this but... From what I suppose... The electronic boost controller (something like software) can control whatever boost you want but at the end of the day the max boost is governed by the wastegate (hardware)? No?

Because if the wastegate opening only allow 0.7, the boost controller can control 0.7 and below because it is limited by the wastegate (hardware). Conclusion, means boost controller can control how much boost you want until the max limit that the wastegate allows.

Just what I think. Any turbo sifus feel free to correct me.. :itsme:

AlucarD

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
The EBC or MBC actually "cheat" the stock actuator into not opening earlier so that it remains shut well beyond the standard boost. However, stock actuator sometimes could not handle higher boost and will be forced open.

For example, stock boost = 0.7bar. EBC/MBC/tulang ikan = 1.5bar. Actuator leaking at 1.2bar. Hence you will never get to 1.5bar no matter how you tune your boost controller coz the boost pressure is forcing the wastegate flap open.

If you want to remain relatively stock, Best is use a good manual boost controller and set the boost at your desired level and forget about it. If you want to change turbo, up higher boost, forge this-and-that, high HP target, then get a good EBC with a standalone ecu is needed or better still a standalone ecu with boost control function. GOOD LUCK

rakesh_v6

Mar 31, 2006
KL
get a good boost controller bro,i was using tulang ikan and now changed to evc 3 and am kinda happy with it,hi and low boost with scramble option