Bit the bullet :Detailed car for the First Time

goldwave84

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
Hi everyone
I had posted about 2 months ago my interest in detailing. Long story short, a friend was able to hook me up with some Turtle wax products from the States and I decided to get down to it.

The products

The car

The Story
I decided that it would be the best value for money if I got the products and detailed the car myself. The best way is to learn, and that was my goal.

Interior

Started with a good interior cleaning. Seeing how some parts of the interior had not been cleaned for YEARS, this took longer than I expected. The Turtle wax ICE interior seemed to work, but it will take a few days for me to notice the difference ( if any)

Exterior
Washed with normal car wash soap. Took the effort to focus on the corners and get the grime out.

Then used Soft 99 clay bar to get the grime out.

Let me warn everyone, that this step takes a lot of time, and while it does pick up dirt, it also leaves strange black (water) marks and streaks on the car! A lot more on the hood and roof. Does not just wash off. If anyone knows why this happened, do let me know.

The came ICEing came! I was quiet excited as it has been a few weeks since my products arrived and only today had I time to detail.

The ICE paste smells just great. No weird chemical smell, very fruity in fact. It's something I can sniff the whole day.:stupid:

Started with the hood.

The outcome

Note: I had sprayed the detailer as recommended to get a better shine.

My impression of the product.
Well, it does not come off as easily as promoted. I did the whole car by hand, (which I regret, but cannot afford the machine now) and after a while you will notice that the applications are not as even and uniform as with the machine. Pretty much messes up the desired finish.

A problem I had towards the end. Something was just not right with the whole process. I am not sure if the dirt on the applicator or my overuse/underuse of product left weird oily marks on the body.

This also happened on the roof of the car.

My final thoughts; I would say that this is easier to apply then most waxes (since this is not a pure wax) but save yourself some time and effort and invest in a machine. Also, after clay bar-ing do wash the car again. This is essential as some dirt is still on the panels and can scratch the car when waxed.

That is all for now folks!
I will try to answer any questions that come up and update my post with anything that comes to mind.

**Some of the products in the first pic were not used, lack of time. Notably the green bottle of spray wax.

Last edited:

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Nice effort there goldwave84, just a few question.

For claying, what did you use for lubricant? That water marks and marring could be from the lubricant that dried up. Normally if I use a quick detailer for lubricant I'll make sure that I wipe the surface dry after claying and didn't let the QD dry by itself.

And how long did you leave the ICE to cure to a haze before buffing/wiping off? From the pics of the hood it does looked like that you've put on a bit of a thicker layer than required, hence the difficulties in coming off/buffing off and streaking (oily marks). From my experience with ICE is that you'd need to apply a VERY thin layer, so thin that you almost can't see it on the paintwork. Around 1/2 oz (15 ml) can do the whole of my Iswara. It also took me a while, at least 1 hour, before it passes the *swipe test and ready to be buff off. Premature removal could also be one of the cause of streaking.

Another thing you might want to consider is to invest on some paint cleaner/polish. ICE is a sealant and it could only seal whatever the original condition of the paint. For best result you'll need to bring the paint to a nice finish before sealing it with a wax or sealant.

My 2 sen.

* Note: Swipe Test - a generally accepted test to know whether the wax/sealant is ready to be remove. Swipe with your (clean) finger and if the residue/haze is easily removed and leaves a clear surface underneath, then it's ready to be remove. If it still look oily underneath than leave it for a while longer.

goldwave84

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
Sorry for the late reply!

For the liquid, I used just car soap diluted in water in a spray bottle.

I used the paste version, and I think your right! I left it for only 10 mins, hence I has such a problem. I shall leave it on for much longer, do the "test" then only remove.

I can't afford anymore products, like the paint cleaner/polish unless its VERY cheap. 2 of the 3 cars at home JUST got a repaint, so i am guessing there is no reason to improve the paint quality right?

All this is just a test anyway, to practice till I get a good new car. It won't be any time soon so i am guessing I have a lot of time to practice.

Do you have pics of your detailing experience?

Ash

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Here are some of what I was able to achieve with my limited experience.

A few months before these were taken I did the followings:

Clay - Meg's clay with Meg's Quick Detailer as lubricant
M83//W8006 polishing pad via rotary
M80//W8006 polishing pad via orbital
M21//W9006 finishing pad via orbital

The pics were taken after the followings:

Clay - Meg's clay with Last Touch as lubricant
Menz 106ff//W9006 finishing pad via rotary
M21 2.0//W9006 finishing pad via orbital

Engine was washed with Meg's Super Degreaser cut 10:1 and dressed with Meg's Hyperdressing

Some water beadings shots:

Some previous shots of the full car (these are after the first detail):

With the right practice and a lot of patience, not to mention dedication and enthusiasm, lucky for me the car came out very nice.

Thanks for looking.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
By the way goldwave84, if you're really interested and serious about DIYing your car(s), I've got some Meg's paint cleaner/polish that I'm considering of letting go for cheap cheap. PM me for further details.

goldwave84

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
Yea I am serious abt it. That's why i invested in the products. Any cheap solutions for the claybar liquid?

Where do you live? If yr interested in making some cash from yr buffer, I would gladly rent it from you! I can't afford one now (thinking abt the black&decker model) but that costs RM199. I will be doing the Perdana this sat, so if you have any advice, send it this way! How do I properly use the paint cleaner/polish?

Ash

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Saturday eh...hehe...unfortunately my ROB already in someone else's hand. Won't be back with me until next weekend...but my RB is still with me if you're brave enough...hehehe....

For the paint cleaner....same-o same-o...apply -> work it in -> buff off. Actually it's easier said then done....after a panel or two working by hand you'll be swearing and cursing and wishing that you have an ROB to work with.

Where're you at? Maybe I can drop by for a while on Saturday and bring over some of my stuffs that could help you with your perdana.

goldwave84

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
Yr offer sounds really good. I live in Kelana Jaya, with my family. If it works out, we can meet before hand, and work something out. Whats ROB and RB? After doing my saga, I really prefer to use machine, so much easier!

Ash

spykey

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2006
nice...very nice goldwave:)

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Yr offer sounds really good. I live in Kelana Jaya, with my family. If it works out, we can meet before hand, and work something out. Whats ROB and RB? After doing my saga, I really prefer to use machine, so much easier!

Ash
ROB = Random Orbital Buffer
RB = Rotary Buffer

Kelana Jaya eh? Not that far from my place. My house's in Damansara Damai.

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
wow..didn't know Krimas not become mobile detailer...spreading poison around...:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey sifus, i need some advice, im planning to upgrade my brakes to 4 pot, i just wanted to know from which car has a bigger diameter and more efficient, Nissan skyline or Mitsubishi GTO? or any other recommendation? brembo is over my budget :)
and what else should i need to change for maximum efficiency? master pump? servo?

my current rotor gets dented easily and after doing some research, its actually a manufacture defect.
already skimmed it 3 times. Between a twin pot and 4 pot ,is it a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience