Best turbo for L5 - JB-JL

skattrd

Feb 2, 2010
Lincoln/UK
Ok guys, another turbo question ....
I think I've talked out of fitting the VF13 to my car (thx manbew). So I'm considering an alternate turbo, which one do you think is best?

Td04-09, td025, hybrid or? - Suggestions/comments.
If possible can you please be specific about the turbo as we have different cars in the UK, so it may take some searching for me to find one.

The car it will be going in will mainly be used on track and at high revs, 6-10k, yes my car revs to 10k :biggrin:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Ok guys, another turbo question ....
I think I've talked out of fitting the VF13 to my car (thx manbew). So I'm considering an alternate turbo, which one do you think is best?

Td04-09, td025, hybrid or? - Suggestions/comments.
If possible can you please be specific about the turbo as we have different cars in the UK, so it may take some searching for me to find one.

The car it will be going in will mainly be used on track and at high revs, 6-10k, yes my car revs to 10k :biggrin:
i'm not experienced if compared to manbew ( :adore: ) but IMVHO.... go for TD025 if the internals are standard... many of my friends praised it highly because it improve the JB-JL power curve by not sacrificing RHF3's response..... or you can go for hybrid RHF3/RHF4 wif the turbine fins clips somewhere 15 degrees....

but, if you going mod the internals like cams, stroker kit etc.. any turbo can what

skattrd

Feb 2, 2010
Lincoln/UK
The internals are standard and I'm currently not planning on changing them at the moment.

I'd prefer a std turbo to a hybrid as spares should be easier to get if needed (RHF3 spares are impossible to get in UK). I know I'd need to get a manifold made, but I would like to replace the std manifold as I've heard of them crack.

So you think a td025 would be better than td04-09?
Do you know which td025 as theres a few different types.

edit: Has anyone tried a Garrett GT15?
I ask as the td025 is fitted to some GM 1.7 diesels in the UK, but the GT1544/GT1549 is more common over here, and I thought they should be similar output.

Last edited:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
I believe here in Malaysia we're more familiar with TD025 from Mitsubishi Eterna 2liter v6 twin turbo (engine code 6A12)

So far I've heard with TD025, easily got 90hp with an improve torque curve over original RHF3... you can refer to manbew for this

Garrett GT 15? same as Smart ForTwo? heard that it can get up 110 bhp as evident in Smart's Brabus version

I'm no expert... better wait for experts here to give their thoughts....

The internals are standard and I'm currently not planning on changing them at the moment.

I'd prefer a std turbo to a hybrid as spares should be easier to get if needed (RHF3 spares are impossible to get in UK). I know I'd need to get a manifold made, but I would like to replace the std manifold as I've heard of them crack.

So you think a td025 would be better than td04-09?
Do you know which td025 as theres a few different types.

edit: Has anyone tried a Garrett GT15?
I ask as the td025 is fitted to some GM 1.7 diesels in the UK, but the GT1544/GT1549 is more common over here, and I thought they should be similar output.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor

kancilkoo

Oct 30, 2010
Penang
u can use tdo4-09, tdo4l gsr, rhf4, vq10
all the turbines good at high rpm..
but i suggest u to use vq10 rhb52..
it is slightly bigger than tdo4l gsr..but it is twinblade and ball-bearing

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
just found out the code for Smart-Brabus Roadster's turbo code... it's a garrett GT1238SM

sorry for the late reply...

zx12

Known Member
May 31, 2007
i'm not experienced if compared to manbew ( :adore: ) but IMVHO.... go for TD025 if the internals are standard... many of my friends praised it highly because it improve the JB-JL power curve by not sacrificing RHF3's response..... or you can go for hybrid RHF3/RHF4 wif the turbine fins clips somewhere 15 degrees....

but, if you going mod the internals like cams, stroker kit etc.. any turbo can what
can someone please explain to me exactly why we would want to clip the fins?

i've googled it and found that some says it makes the turbo spool faster while others say it improves top end performance (spools a little later but allows more exhaust flow at higher RPMs)..the two statements are contradicting each other. i'm really confused. :hmmmm:

davidyang85

Known Member
May 2, 2006
for RHF4+RHF3 from tong turbo will get good power at high rpm as the turbo spool late around 4k rpm. but u will feel lag at low rpm. if u wan balance power go for TD025 turbine from Eterna

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Putting distance between your fugitive derriere and the local law enforcement has always been an uphill task, especially with some of the performance cars that the boys in blue around the world have in their stables.

While we used to cringe in fear of being caught speeding on the Italian freeway with the Italian police having a Lamborghini...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience