Amp or HU first?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

csiongp

Aug 6, 2005
Puchong
Hi to all the sifu here. Currently I am using the original CD player in my Kenari with a pair of Infinity Reference 6000 comp. speaker in the front door. Would like to upgrade the system with a budget arround 1k. Should I change the HU or amp first? Thank you for your reply.

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
sure HU

gsrTurbo9166

500 RPM
Apr 23, 2005
yo bro it is depend on u
if ur HU is still working n u wan better sound
so for 4 the amp n sub woofer since u hv 1k is more than enuff for both amp n woofer

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
I'd definitely go for an amp, but thats of coz if the current HU is in perfect working condition. With 1K budget, i think you'll have a reasonable sounding amp and the difference will be very noticeable when you hook up with your component set.

But if you're spending 1K on a HU, which i suppose can net you something like a Pioneer 7750 or equivalent, i don't think you'll hear any significant difference using your current component speakers.

csiongp

Aug 6, 2005
Puchong
Thanks for the quick reply. 2 say HU first and 2 say amp first :confused: . Anyway my HU is still in perfect working condition. I think most probably I will go for an amp first. Any good amp to recommend? Thanks.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Its pretty straight forward fact that with a amplifier, your musical pleasures will be greatly enhance, be it sound quality(SQ) wise or sound pressure level (SPL).

With 1K budget, i doubt any HU's in the market will be able to greatly enhance your musical pleasures. Unless you're talking about a class leading HU that'll probably cost you at least 3k.

As for a reasonable amp at RM1K to power your component, maybe a 2 channel amp will be good. I'd suggest you to check out Kenwood or even Sony amps. They're pretty powerful but if you wanna hear decent SQ's, maybe you can go for A/D/S or even Precision Power. But these 2 are 4 channel amps and are reputable SQ amps at good price. Maybe Alpine amps can be considered too but i'm not sure about their pricing. My suggestion is, do not rush into buying an amp just because you go into a shop and the boss blast his car ICE setup and it feels boomy and powerful and you think its a good amp.

I've been into few ICE shops and all they do is blast their subwoofer and you think its a good setup. Evaluate the amp specs and check with ICE sifu in forums and then decide whats good for you but ultimately, its your ears that listen, not mine or the boss thats trying to sell you his stuff.

Tohsan

Over 10,000 RPM!
Nov 13, 2004
Char Kuoy Teow
csiongp said:
Hi to all the sifu here. Currently I am using the original CD player in my Kenari with a pair of Infinity Reference 6000 comp. speaker in the front door. Would like to upgrade the system with a budget arround 1k. Should I change the HU or amp first? Thank you for your reply.
I m driving a kenari aero, the stock clarion cd player is not even worth call a cd player, the sq sucks n the features outdated, somemore those farking p2 are charging us a bomb for a model that is no longer exist in the Clarion catalogue.

My honest advise dump the stock cd player and get a better one. The stock cd player sucks big time.

Remember to do provision 1k for each part of your ice, and scout all the ice stuff slowly audit them slowly, u won'tt regret it.

Last edited:

NisSANe

Aug 10, 2005
Subang Jaya
Isn't it a better idea to purchase the expensive items(eg. HU, amp) thru the Net (some audio websites offer intl shipping) coz they r so much cheaper and ask a professional installer to install them 4 u? Just a thought..... :smokin:

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
most ppl worry because no international warranty and repair is expensive when the local distributor adds a surcharge for overseas units.

ryucky81

Known Member
Jun 1, 2005
johore
if u don mind 2nd hand stuff, bridge ur budget to Rm500 for HU. Rm500 for amp or may b abit more for either 1. then u will appriciate it.

NisSANe

Aug 10, 2005
Subang Jaya
true..true... warranty is one drawback...but considering the price diff of ard RM 2000 for the high end units, i guess it's a good tradeoff... didn't know they added surcharge for units bought overseas...

MinTze

Known Member
May 29, 2005
JB
of coz is HU,HU is the brain of ur system,if ur main source no good,no point to buy a good amp 1st,even u buy Brax

s15

1,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2004
KayElle,JayB,Sg
www.revsaints.com
but if u got a 7990 with H901 pair up with the brax graphic edition running with stock speaker also no use right ?
actually IMHO...
everything is interdependent.... matching is most important ...

GeneX

Known Member
Nov 4, 2004
-
r3gister.blogspot.com
Nah~~Get a amp 1st since ur player is in perfect condition,with ur budget,can get a Precision Power PCX 440 that cost 1k.This will highly improve your SQ.

cacin

1,000 RPM
Mar 9, 2005
Penang
Visit site
My newb opinion is, buy an amp and a woofer. I am not sure what music that you listen to, but, it would be nice if you can get a 4 channel amp and a subwoofer. The 4 channel amp can be used to power your current component set and the woofer. Since I mention 'a' woofer, your amp must be able to handle the woofer in bridge mode. Meaning, if it is 2 ohm stable, you can use a 4 ohm woofer. If it is 4 ohm stable in bridge, you might need to opt for a DVC woofer. Of course, with these items (woofer & amp), you might not get the very best stuff with 1k budget. Maybe you can consider the Mohawk brand since it is quite cheap compared to others. The most important thing is, be patient and know what you really want with your setup.

Hope this helps.

csiongp

Aug 6, 2005
Puchong
Thank you very much for all the inputs. Never aspect so many replies.
Anyway I found out that my original HU doesn't have any pre-out, that's mean I won't be able to get very good sq from any amp that I use, right? So is it better for me to buy a HU first (my target is the Pioneer DEH-P5750MP)? Any recommendation for HU arround RM700? Thanks again. Going to do my shopping this weekend.

appleyard

500 RPM
Dec 20, 2004
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
prodigy said:
As for a reasonable amp at RM1K to power your component, maybe a 2 channel amp will be good. I'd suggest you to check out Kenwood or even Sony amps. They're pretty powerful but if you wanna hear decent SQ's, maybe you can go for A/D/S or even Precision Power. But these 2 are 4 channel amps and are reputable SQ amps at good price. Maybe Alpine amps can be considered too but i'm not sure about their pricing. My suggestion is, do not rush into buying an amp just because you go into a shop and the boss blast his car ICE setup and it feels boomy and powerful and you think its a good amp.

I've been into few ICE shops and all they do is blast their subwoofer and you think its a good setup. Evaluate the amp specs and check with ICE sifu in forums and then decide whats good for you but ultimately, its your ears that listen, not mine or the boss thats trying to sell you his stuff.
changing amps will not give you more SQ but changing speakers would. I dont consider Sony amps are powerful , they are overrrated and unreliable. A/D/S or PPI are companies that invest in cosmetics so their price would be naturally overpriced.

Kenwood amps are ok the exceleon series are ok (i own a 2 channel amp)

why dont you buy a component for that budget? it can be temporarily powered by your HU and upgrade in stages. Definitely more SQ than changing the Hu or amp.

csiongp

Aug 6, 2005
Puchong
appleyard said:
why dont you buy a component for that budget? it can be temporarily powered by your HU and upgrade in stages. Definitely more SQ than changing the Hu or amp.
I have a pair of Infinity Reference 6000cs component installed in my car for a year already. I think now is the time for me to upgrade a little bit.

A Post Every 5 Mins

alloooz bros...

need some help...how to determine whether the engine is leaking or not...my engine got some oil stain on it.the mechanic said that maybe the engine is leaking...thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience