Advice on Soft Paint

Lepakboy

Jul 7, 2004
Dear Detailing Guru's,

Currently facing the issue of Soft Paint. Its a Honda Accord 2004 in Black and the main problem is that after I've refined the finish with M205 on an Optimum Finishing Pad, the finish is great. The problem occurs when I'm trying to remove residue polish. No matter how soft I am, the cloth will 100% leave some scratches.

The clothes are clean and in fact I've even opened a new one fresh from the pack and still the same issue. Any ideas how I can resolve this? Would IPA help? Please advice.

Regards
Dan

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Try using a damp cloth....soft and gentle passes. Or, better still, can use a quick detailer instead. IPA not so effective as it doesn't have the necessary lube.

Lepakboy

Jul 7, 2004
Hi KrisMas,

I'll give that a shot. Would 'Last Touch' do the job?

Also is this specifically a Honda Problem? or do most Japanese cars have the same issue?

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Last Touch would do fine....dilute it 1:1 as oppose to using straight and spray liberally...more economical. Just remember to use the softest of touch when drying....just 'glide' the mf cloth....

Could be. Cuz Honda, Toyota, and quite a few of current Japs and Korean cars clear coat are very soft. Difficult to polish but very glossy if done correctly....

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

oh...and would you mind telling us what cloth you're using and from where you got them from? Cuz that *could* be the issue also.

Lepakboy

Jul 7, 2004
Used the Mr Clean (Green - Detailing cloth) and the one I got from KC when I purchased optimum products. Been hand washing them with detergent only. But I gather I will have to buy some better ones soon.

Any recommendations?

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Google for 'Osren' and check out their website. They have a few grades of good quality detailing cloths you can choose from and very reasonably priced. Give them a visit and ask for recommendations....very helpful lads over there, if possible, look for Hendry or Lance Law.

Just remember though, don't get yourself too badly poisoned....hahahaha.....

Cheers.

Lepakboy

Jul 7, 2004
Lol .. already too late... Thanks again for the advice.

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Lepakboy, as KrisMas said, go get the premium MF cloths from Osren. It is nice and fluffy and comes in a pack of 3pcs. If you need more cloths, go find a few friends and ask Henry for bulk purchase price/quantity. The premium MF has a short and long nap MF side and is white in color. I like white as I found some cloths actually transferring some of the MF fiber color. Serves as an excellent drying MF towel too. Don't even bother about that MF cloth that you have.

Take note, avoid soaking MF with OPC too much as I find it to harden/stiffen the MF fibres. Using Osren DegreaserFx and DG ultimate orange is ok so far even after overnight soak.

You can use IPA but just be careful as there is very surface lubrication. The other safer way is to try CarPro Eraser (do a search for Ultimateshine Malaysia website) which has IPA and offer some surface lubrication. Much better on your soft black Honda paint.

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
Dear Detailing Guru's,

Currently facing the issue of Soft Paint. Its a Honda Accord 2004 in Black and the main problem is that after I've refined the finish with M205 on an Optimum Finishing Pad, the finish is great. The problem occurs when I'm trying to remove residue polish. No matter how soft I am, the cloth will 100% leave some scratches.

The clothes are clean and in fact I've even opened a new one fresh from the pack and still the same issue. Any ideas how I can resolve this? Would IPA help? Please advice.

Regards
Dan
Thanks Dan for posting this topic
Honda has one of the worst paint - the champion of the champion! So dark & full of depth & yet it is impossible to stay smears free!

The went through 120 degree baking just like any other manufacture but super soft!
Yet the Japanese insisted to continue to use "Kansai" soft clear

Even new car has so much issue to dealt with New car paint damaged by irresponsible dealer! Warning when collecting new car

Finishing it smooth is really kung fu & maintaining it is a miracle

I IPA it with ONR as last touch (7ml alien no rinse wash to : 500 ml water) which only cost 45cents (where others cost rm 40) 2009 Chevy Avalanche

Keep folding yr mf as you wipe down !