Adjusting BOV

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

blur_civic

500 RPM
Hi all..

Just want to clarify something.. :)
Is all BOV's adjusted using the same direction.. a.k.a. turning left to increase boost exhale rate (stiffen the spring) and turning right to decrease the rate..

Should there be anyone out there who knows how to adjust the tension of the spring on the Sheepdog Imitation BOV please give me some directions or so.. :)

Thanks..

Last edited:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29188&stc=1

This is how the BOV looks like.. :)

Reason is.. my car will stall whenever i let go of a throttle to slow down (especially approaching a turning, T-junction, etc.).. Even times when car suddenly shut down.. Actually it doesn't really matter if i was on the throttle onot.. even from a dead stop and i start doing a u-turn with the the throtle slightly pressed, engine will also die down.. but this only happens once in a while..

So I was thinking I might be having the BOV set too loose.. want to try to tighten it and test it out.. :)

by the way.. to the white civic at centerpoint yesterday, sorry for stopping in the middle of the u-turn at the traffic light.. :p engine suddenly died down.. hehehe..

Last edited:
errr
dunno u got it right or not
so far i used bov
u must loosen the jam nut
then the middle long screw u have to turn clockwise to tighten it
then tighten back the jam nut

u can add two or three washer to the srew for the spring tensioner so that u can increase the hardnest off the springs...but recomended that for powerfull turbo cars la..
if u set the spring to hard the turbine will spull it means that the air will return back to the turbine because the spring is to hard and the pressure cant afford to push the piston to let go the air..so u all need to set the screw properly la..during revving need to check

BLur,

I have used this BOV before.

It leaks badly because this Imitation sheepdag BOV has no reseach done on the tension spring to used on the valve surface diameter.

So basically if u tighten it, it won't open. rite?

And if u loosen it, your car stalls frequently rite?

If you want to be sure, borrow a fren's BOV to test.

In wat way is it similar to SSQV?

One is piston driven, the other is diaphram actuated.

Well what i really wanted to ask is how to tighten it? I already know it is extremely loose.. due to some overboosting problems..

But i suspect that the recent problem of the engine shutting down suddenly is because of having the BOV exhale air to quickly too soon (too loose)... so I want to tighten it back a little... problem is i never played around with a BOV before and I don't want to go back to the mech just to adjust small little things like this.. (tolls + distance + petrol = frustration :p)

Can i just use a spannar to unscrew the nut in the middle to adjust it? or it's not as simple as i think it is..

And another question is how do i know which direction to screw the nut to tighten or loosen it?

Thanks for your time guys.. :)

Blur,

The screw when turn clock-wise, is to tighten (the screw goes more into the BOV and applying more tension onto the spring) the valve.

The screw when turned anti clock wise, loosens the valve (screw comes out of the BOV and lessening the pressure on the spring).

Sad to say but this wan also has poor spring/valve design and leaks badly.

I have fren used before, I think tat time it was sold in PJ area for RM150 oni, used less than 1 week, and just throw away.

The more u tighten it, your problem of stalling is reduced but your BOV won't open.

The cause of the problem is not the piston nor cylinder. The cause is the poorly design spring tension vs. piston diameter.

Joeker said:
Blur,

The screw when turn clock-wise, is to tighten (the screw goes more into the BOV and applying more tension onto the spring) the valve.

The screw when turned anti clock wise, loosens the valve (screw comes out of the BOV and lessening the pressure on the spring).

The more u tighten it, your problem of stalling is reduced but your BOV won't open.

Will try it out.. :) i did try turning the washer but there was no difference on the long screw.. will try again..

lilvee said:
Blur... hows life? Happy boosting man..

life's good.. :) except for some tinsy winsy probs here and there..

very satisfied with it.. except for some overboosting problems.. hahaha... i get up to 1.2 bar and still rising.. checked every possible source.. my gearbox is gonna blow man..

check all the actuator hoses if they are properly seated where they should be.. just few weeks back i got overboosting problems also... finally it's my mech mistake to 't' the actuator hose wrongly with my turbo intake pipe... anyway.. just check the hoses if their routes are correct and their condition. Wear & tear of the hoses causes overboosting as well. Another possible reason it may be the actuator jammed, and will not open.. but this rarely happen. Unless the actuator arm is jammed as well.

Engine stall problem associated with BOV... like what sifu joeker said... change to a better quality BOV should solve your problem. I recommend u imitation Monza SSQV is u are really tight in budget. Or else go for Greddy Type S for small turbos. Very efficient BOV. :D

i think ur bov piston jammed..not returning back when u up ur paddle..this make u engine rpm drop or more worst it's dead..
i choose diapram rather then piston because it's more reliable...piston always jammed/leaked..
just my 2 cent

lilvee said:
better check ur wastegate before u got blown.. stock with 1.2bar is in a dark side edi

Yeah.. just a matter of time.. :p Just waiting for some available time to take off work.. currently too busy to drop by Drager Racing..

Hows your manual tranny hunting? hehehe.. :p

ftzone and azman,

I think the stalling problem should be near dead batteries.. hahaha.. Recently problem doesn't occur anymore.. But will change the BOV (when I have the moo-lah) anyway.. i hate insecurities.. :p

anyway just out of curiosity... if i do hear the blow-off sound it means it isn't jammed right?

ftzone, you have good experience with Monza SSQV? Mind telling me rough price around the market?

blur_civic
if u r on a budget
go to millenium , get their bov , can withstand 1.7bar , its 200+ plus only , sound like r2d2

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom