absorbers... whats the difference, hi/lo vs hi/lo soft/hard

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

xbotzz

Dec 10, 2006
hi guys....

I actually want to ask what is the difference in driving and performance wise for the types of absorbers we use...

i am currently using oem absorbers and quite happy with it... but my hard turnings are not so convincing and sometimes i get this "sampan" ride like feeling at 120kmh....

so i am thinking of upgrading to better absorbers...

i am currently using perdana with 225/45/r17 setup... i dun wan it to be too hard also... i like a comfortable ride...

pls input your experiences... thanks

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
225 / 45 / 17 tyre is not a comfort drive tyre...
you can try to use tien absorber... quite good...
need more info ask Vsixers club...they will have more info regarding this...
Good Luck...

Last edited:

xbotzz

Dec 10, 2006
bro... have u been in vsixers forum nowadays...

go check it out then come and tell me back...

it used to be a single place to go for me... i loved the forum(msn group)... after they changed the forum to their own... it suxz

now must pay, advise is not free anymore... the forum is not lively also...

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
hi/lo = ride height adjustable
soft/hard = stiffness adjustable
hi/lo & soft/hard = ride height adjustable + stiffness adjustable

p.s. dont turn at 120km/h. dangerous!

xbotzz

Dec 10, 2006
bro.. i heard tien too hard...

black, thanks for the explanation...
i dun dare to take korna @ 120... i meant straight..

what absorber can be recommended... do i really need to get hi/lo soft/hard to take a comfortable turn... y i can get hi/lo ony ??

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
u can get HI-LO only... but yr springs has to be 'just nice'... not simply whack and couple it with any set of springs u can find... sampan meaning wat? wavy? or the car squats resulting in the head lifting? if wavey, yr current shockers could be screwed / time to change... if squat.. maybe d rear is not stiff enuff (assuming u've gone V6 TT..??)

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
bro... have u been in vsixers forum nowadays...

go check it out then come and tell me back...

it used to be a single place to go for me... i loved the forum(msn group)... after they changed the forum to their own... it suxz

now must pay, advise is not free anymore... the forum is not lively also...
hehe.. I am not a V6 owner la.. how do I knoe:hmmmm:
Last time its free what....:biggrin:

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
from what i've know,comfort come from spring not the damper.soft hard
tend to give u control over the reaction of the spring.comfort or hard is
up to the spring.let say ur using 6kg/mm for the front,doesn't mean that
u can turn the knob to make the spring act like it's 4kg/mm.so what i'm
trying to say here is that damping adjustable is to control the rebound of
the spring.just my 2 cent.

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
if u prefer comfort ride, i dun think adjustable suspension is suit u.

try to sit in ur fren perdana with adjustable suspension..if u love the feel, then only go for it.

since u r running 17inch + low profile tyre...if instal adjustable suspension...i guess comfort will be reduce alot

hehe:biggrin:

darahhitam

2,000 RPM
Oct 4, 2004
KL
www.cardomain.com
hi guys....

I actually want to ask what is the difference in driving and performance wise for the types of absorbers we use...

i am currently using oem absorbers and quite happy with it... but my hard turnings are not so convincing and sometimes i get this "sampan" ride like feeling at 120kmh....

so i am thinking of upgrading to better absorbers...

i am currently using perdana with 225/45/r17 setup... i dun wan it to be too hard also... i like a comfortable ride...

pls input your experiences... thanks
If you are looking for more comfort than outright performance, you ought to stick to OE settting, with some tweaks here and there.

One of my cars is in the same size-range as your perdana and since I do not want outright performance, corner-whacking setup - on my recent change of absorbers, I stick to OE absorbers, but I swapped the coil spring from the JDM counterpart - the turbo'ed version.

Overall setting is stiffer, yes, but not as stiff as adjustables (be it H-L, S-H, still, the softest setting is STILL hard to some - quite subjective dude).

I would estimate it to be around 30-40% stiffer than stock springs - but the comfort is still there.
It handles better - both straight line high speed cruising and cornering, sits slightly higher (the rear doesn't sags much when loaded anymore), and yes, felt more secured - I think that's psychologically speaking.

So for your Perdana, I bet there are Eterna's coil springs out there that'll fit your Perdana (S4 or V6?). Couple it with OE abs, hmm.. I think it'd work.

On the other hand, if your current abs are as old as I think, it could be already worn out, hence the sampan-like handling while cruising. Having said this, there are other factors that'd contribute to that.

Just my 2 cents.

xbotzz

Dec 10, 2006
hi guyz... thanks for the explanations.... as u said.. it is not easy to get the right mixture...

a few perdana users have already commented to try hotbits... i think i am going for this... tien too hard... gab not so assuring...

i just want the right amount of stiffness and the right amount of comfortability... anyway... trying out my luck...

anyone out there wanna sell their used hotbit shocks for perdana... i am
willing to check it out..

cheers

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

is a grounding cable/wire is a needy for a car ?? do every car need to have it ??

does it have side effect ??

Does there any good grounding cable recommended to use on myvi yrv ??

or it just waste money..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience