A Simple Tutorial DIY Spray Project

vyruzj

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
Suggestion needed...

Dear FoarGeez and all sifus,

Currently planning to spray some part of the car which is made out of plasticc. How do i prep the plastic for spraying? Is it this way :-

1. Wash the reflector
2. Sand the reflector
3. Spray a layer primer
4. Spray desired colour
5. Let dry and assemble back the parts

If i were to sand it, after sanding shud the surface be a bit rough coz the current surface is smooth?

Is the primer the same as enamel paint? I have a can of enamel spray paint. When i test the paint, it is a bit sticky after spraying on a clean surface.

Is baking necessary for the paint to stay (scared of peeling)

FoarGeez

Known Member
Jun 20, 2005
Koala Loompour
enamel? never heard of it bro... sorry.. but so far as i know, most of primer based color are GREY.. :)

well it is neccessary to sand the surface if its too smooth.. this is to make the surface to be rough abit, so dat it would grip the paint... maybe u can use about 400-600 grid sand papers.. too low grid will make the surface to rough n result to a bad finishing.. u can see yr sanded effects after the paint..

the use of primer is to make the surface grip the paint more efficently n to cover any unseen small holes..

oven bake is not necessary if the parts u r spraying not dat huge such as bumpers etc.. basically it is meant to make the paint come out 100% nice n last longer..

juz make sure u leave the paint dry properly during a hot day... hope this answer yr questions... ;)

vyruzj

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
Thanks for the headsup FoarGeez! Thumbs up! ;)

FoarGeez

Known Member
Jun 20, 2005
Koala Loompour
broken sword,
u can use the same method that ive done i this tut.. more or less the same n shud get yr desired finishing..

hocai,
u can get the splitter almost everywhere now.. especially accessories shops dat do bodykits.. but i get mine at Daiichi, Sunway. it came with the bumper dat i took.

ryukeong

Known Member
May 20, 2005
KL
Hi FoarGeez,

I have few q wanna ask.....

- My side skirt cant be removed, so how should i do to cover up those place that i doesn't want the paint connected.

- When doing sanding, juz only do the parts that have the putty rite? Mean others part that doesn't have any problem juz leave it? Or have to do the whole thing?

- A can of spary can cover how big that size? If for a bonet cover to spray 1 layer need how many can of spray (only spraying external?

- For your spraying project of the splitter, you have spend how much on the item?

- And last question, i intend to spray my sport rim to black color. Izit i just skip those first few steps like putty, sanding & primer? And just straight spray the black color that i want? And needed to use the clear spray also?

Thanx very muchy

broken sword

Feb 17, 2006
FoarGeez said:
broken sword,
u can use the same method that ive done i this tut.. more or less the same n shud get yr desired finishing..

hocai,
u can get the splitter almost everywhere now.. especially accessories shops dat do bodykits.. but i get mine at Daiichi, Sunway. it came with the bumper dat i took.
do you mean use epoxy primer? i'm kinda blur on this primer thing.... what brand? where can get this item? hardware shop? :angel_smile:

JGE_4G15

Known Member
Aug 26, 2006
FoarGeez sifu......
does this diy spray project steps applies to steel rims as well?

FoarGeez

Known Member
Jun 20, 2005
Koala Loompour
ryukeong said:
Hi FoarGeez,

I have few q wanna ask.....

- My side skirt cant be removed, so how should i do to cover up those place that i doesn't want the paint connected.

- When doing sanding, juz only do the parts that have the putty rite? Mean others part that doesn't have any problem juz leave it? Or have to do the whole thing?

- A can of spary can cover how big that size? If for a bonet cover to spray 1 layer need how many can of spray (only spraying external?

- For your spraying project of the splitter, you have spend how much on the item?

- And last question, i intend to spray my sport rim to black color. Izit i just skip those first few steps like putty, sanding & primer? And just straight spray the black color that i want? And needed to use the clear spray also?

Thanx very muchy

:omg_smile: :omg_smile: dats alot of enquiries.. im no sifu but hope my suggestions help

- it is preferably u paint the whole skirt. putty, sand & primer the whole skirt..

- sand the old paint as well. this is to scrape away the lacquer so dat yr new spray color can stick to the surface.

- for bonnet i tried spray using can. it takes about 3-5 cans depending how u spray it, but i scrwed up. i recommend dont spray cuz the pressure of can spray get lesser & lesser after u used n this will effect to a bad finishing

- roughly RM40 for the materials n tools..

- rims u dont really need those steps.. juz sand off the old paint. use some paint remover n spray. no need to use clear spray cuz it will make yr paint to become yellowish after some time if not done properly due to extensive heat of yr brakes. Refer to some other post, forummers had diy spray some nice rimsss..:regular_smile:

FoarGeez

Known Member
Jun 20, 2005
Koala Loompour
broken sword said:
do you mean use epoxy primer? i'm kinda blur on this primer thing.... what brand? where can get this item? hardware shop? :angel_smile:

Its juz called 'primer spray'.the usuall brands are Cap Matahari & Arrow Brand.. look for P/S Grey.. code number 5 :regular_smile: Its quite hard to find, but they sold this in hardware stores..

FoarGeez

Known Member
Jun 20, 2005
Koala Loompour
JGE_4G15 said:
FoarGeez sifu......
does this diy spray project steps applies to steel rims as well?
for rims no need to putty or prime.. can prime if u want to but not so thick else it'll crack.. juz spray staight oso can... juz clear the old paint off completely.. primer are juz to make the color a lil bit nicer n smoother finishin.. tats all.. :regular_smile:

broken sword

Feb 17, 2006
FoarGeez said:
Its juz called 'primer spray'.the usuall brands are Cap Matahari & Arrow Brand.. look for P/S Grey.. code number 5 :regular_smile: Its quite hard to find, but they sold this in hardware stores..
thanx dude, thats really help.... now i see the light.... later i go check at local hardware store..... P/S grey stand for what aaa? it's colour ka?:regular_smile:

JGE_4G15

Known Member
Aug 26, 2006
FoarGeez said:
for rims no need to putty or prime.. can prime if u want to but not so thick else it'll crack.. juz spray staight oso can... juz clear the old paint off completely.. primer are juz to make the color a lil bit nicer n smoother finishin.. tats all.. :regular_smile:
thanks bro...
my OEM steel rims r rusty le...
no extra $$$ to change sports rims...
so have to diy le..
thanks for ur advise.....

broken sword

Feb 17, 2006
FoarGeez said:
yep.. its called Primer Surface Grey.. gray color..
thanx bro for the xplanation:X-: .. so the process would be like this...
1) clean the spray area... dasboard, door panel etc
2) spray primer
3) immedietly spray the colour we wanted while the primer is wet or wait until it dry?:retarded:

edlim

Known Member
Jun 8, 2004
KV
man tis is a real good DIY..
question:
how to remove the rivet point?
scare i damage the skirting or bumper...
btw, its PU skirt.

thks :)

FoarGeez

Known Member
Jun 20, 2005
Koala Loompour
b.sword, giv the paint dry for every 1/2 n hour b4 getting new coat

edlim, rivets? mmm... so far i dont know how 2 remove the point cuz the rivet head always pop out from the body.. unless u use screws then can cover the screw with car putty... im afraid u might juz hafto spray it.. like mine, my car is black. So i juz stick a black sticker ontop of the rivets.. seems to conceal n blends the rivets wit the paint job...

broken sword

Feb 17, 2006
FoarGeez said:
b.sword, giv the paint dry for every 1/2 n hour b4 getting new coat

edlim, rivets? mmm... so far i dont know how 2 remove the point cuz the rivet head always pop out from the body.. unless u use screws then can cover the screw with car putty... im afraid u might juz hafto spray it.. like mine, my car is black. So i juz stick a black sticker ontop of the rivets.. seems to conceal n blends the rivets wit the paint job...
u mean let the primer dry after 1/2 hour and then only spray the paint..... d primer works as adhesive to hold the paint on surface...for example dashboard..... is it? hhehee sorry for asking many question :X-:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The Continental GT first came out in 2003, and (along with the Flying Spur variant) has been a common sight on Malaysian roads. The second generation Continental GT was revealed in November 2010, and was finally launched in Malaysia in June 2011. Up till now, I've yet to see one on our roads.

I guess it makes a little sense why this particular unit has got UK plates on, still...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience