6A12TT Failed after 1 1/2 hours highway driving.

kanan

500 RPM
Nov 12, 2005
KL
I've just changed the original engine Perdana V6 to 6A12TT engine since my old engine reached 190 KM mileage and GB also showing some symptom. Car finished installed on last tuesday. I use it in my daily driving to KLCC office untill friday.
Yesterday afternoon after office hour depart to ipoh. since its new engine for my car, i just ride 100-110 and sometime press pedal to 140 to overtake slower vehicles. but average is 105km/h. after 1 hour 15minit another 2 km more to arrive slim river exit, I heard big burst/boom (like back fire) at the back of the exhauts and belting sangkut noise in the bonet. slow down and open engine bay, look at the compressor+power steering belting stripped at the edge. saw some of the belt remains stuck at the aircond compressor wheel. so i off the aircond. then i move on riding 40km/h in emergency lane. at this point one red lamp in the meter panel blinking. see picture . what does this means? i continue riding untill the engine cut off. attempt to restart but fail. I called mech he asked me to check if there is any loose pipe at the engine bay. none found. crank lots of time but the engine doesn't start. I asked mech to send tow truck to take this car back to sungai wei. The tow truck arrive at 1130pm. the place i kene very bloody gelap somemore. Travelling form KL-Ipoh.

This morning I called, mech say the engine started at once with good engine timing nothing seems a problem. the red lamp indicator also gone. The engine have been running for 2 hours today but no issues found. I tested 3 daily days driving to office going to KLCC office before with all the traffic jams. the engine also giving no issues at all. The question is why the engine wont start and what is the red lamp trying to tell me? please help to advise on this..
Here's some info for the engine work done:

All stock eterna engine. changed clutch,timing belt,oil seals,spark plug some other basics things.
First day of buying the halfcut, it started at once when I first saw it. Engine check light also goes off when attempt to start.

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
If i'm not mistaken .. that is exhaust temp ... its sensing that ur exhaust is super hot ... maybe from boosting too much or lean fuel mixture ... i'm no sifu ... wait for the others ...

BE5RSK

Known Member
Dec 31, 2009
Besaout
are u using stock (PV6) exhaust piping after eterna downpipe ?
if yes, then i guess it could be the culprit...

i experienced it before with my iswara converted 4G61T. after finished the convertion, i drove back home from w/shop via Federal h/way (about 15km). slowly drive around 90-100 km/h. after toll plaza batu 3, the engine shut down by itself. the water temp everything was normal.. then, towed back to w/shop.

after post-mortem the next day, found out that the iswara standard piping diameter (plus the catalytic converter) is the culprit. the iswara diameter is too small (plus that stupid cat converter) thus create to much heat to 4G61T downpipe (it made the o2 sensor kaput as well)... because of that, the engine shut down by itself to prevent further damage.

then, i changed to 2.5 inch straight piping all the way after down pipe until muffler, and the result... it never happened anymore... plus the turbine can exhale better..

some of my friends who did the turbo convertion (93t) and use back their wira standard exhaust piping, didn't encontered this scenario... but, that's happened to me.

Just sharing my experienced... Gud luck bro...

Last edited:

jj.v6

Known Member
Aug 30, 2009
johor baru
thats ur exhaust pipes o2 censor alarm..it means ur exhaust temp very high.anyway i hope u figure out by now wat when wrong.so pls update us..so in future we the rest of 6a12tt community knows wat exactly to do..thanx and regards

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
Bro u still using Perdana V6 exaust piping ??? if yes thats the reason ... change piping to larger diameter ... :)

kanan

500 RPM
Nov 12, 2005
KL
are u using stock (PV6) exhaust piping after eterna downpipe ?
if yes, then i guess it could be the culprit...

i experienced it before with my iswara converted 4G61T. after finished the convertion, i drove back home from w/shop via Federal h/way (about 15km). slowly drive around 90-100 km/h. after toll plaza batu 3, the engine shut down by itself. the water temp everything was normal.. then, towed back to w/shop.

after post-mortem the next day, found out that the iswara standard piping diameter (plus the catalytic converter) is the culprit. the iswara diameter is too small (plus that stupid cat converter) thus create to much heat to 4G61T downpipe (it made the o2 sensor kaput as well)... because of that, the engine shut down by itself to prevent further damage.

then, i changed to 2.5 inch straight piping all the way after down pipe until muffler, and the result... it never happened anymore... plus the turbine can exhale better..

some of my friends who did the turbo convertion (93t) and use back their wira standard exhaust piping, didn't encontered this scenario... but, that's happened to me.

Just sharing my experienced... Gud luck bro...
Bro u still using Perdana V6 exaust piping ??? if yes thats the reason ... change piping to larger diameter ... :)
My problem considered solved (after testing). Yes you guys are correct that i'm still using PV6 exhaust piping. From the manifold to the bentable connector i used eterna halfcut(almost half way or slightly less) then continue with original pv6 piping. My mech did already remove the CAT. so it's just a continous pipe until meet up the orginal muffler pv6 at the back. What I can say during the installation is that the eterna pipe is slightly bigger than the ori pv6. ori pv6 is i'm not mistaken when looked at it is 2 inch and eterna is like 2 1/4 inch or 2 1/2 inch (slightly bigger). So when need to make up a coupling to join them. Now i know that's a hot exhaust signal. When my car cannot start, that thing blinking bcoz it wanted to avoid further damage. I'm going to change the pipe soon. Planning to do 3 inch halfway to 2 inch to the back. This can be culprit in the near future if i dont' change it soon.

But for now, as far as the above problem, my mech diagnosed that the aircond compressor is the main culprit. The pump in the compressor already close to jammed symptom. So when the engine rotate the pulley, the jammed pump resist the engine make the engine unnecessarily overloaded. and the belting also tearing up slowly. That's why this thing happen after 1 1/2 i drove to ipoh. Actually i did notice that when the compressor engage, it was kind of heavy to the engine. But i didn't expect that kind of consequences. Lesson learnt is to extra carefull when using halfcut parts. Today ealry in the morning i departed to ipoh to test the car. this time i don;t switch on the aircond. drive avg speed of 100. and then return to kl. no sign of hot etc. So main part of the problem is the aircond compressor. However based on the above sharing, if I rempit 130-140 all the way to ipoh, even off aircond, High possibility that i'm going to have engine cutoff because the piping not suitable for turbo breathing style. Like BE5RSK were having. but today i dont dare to drive 130-140 all the way since takut speed trap. hehehe.

it's kind of painful lesson, lost rm500 for tow truck. well they are from PJ to slim river and back to sungai wei close to 200km. middle of the night some more. I can't say much about the price. changed the aircond belting. the car running good but without aircond for the time being. Not sure about the compressor mounting type. issit denso or something else?

Even I already tested 3 days of traffic jam driving, no problem at all, at the end it gives problem when in the highways. so we need to test both condition. I'm running out of budget a bit for absorber and boost controller due to this problem. Lesson learnt is always spare some margin in your transplant budget not ngam2 :biggrin:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
My problem considered solved (after testing). Yes you guys are correct that i'm still using PV6 exhaust piping. From the manifold to the bentable connector i used eterna halfcut(almost half way or slightly less) then continue with original pv6 piping. My mech did already remove the CAT. so it's just a continous pipe until meet up the orginal muffler pv6 at the back. What I can say during the installation is that the eterna pipe is slightly bigger than the ori pv6. ori pv6 is i'm not mistaken when looked at it is 2 inch and eterna is like 2 1/4 inch or 2 1/2 inch (slightly bigger). So when need to make up a coupling to join them. Now i know that's a hot exhaust signal. When my car cannot start, that thing blinking bcoz it wanted to avoid further damage. I'm going to change the pipe soon. Planning to do 3 inch halfway to 2 inch to the back. This can be culprit in the near future if i dont' change it soon.

But for now, as far as the above problem, my mech diagnosed that the aircond compressor is the main culprit. The pump in the compressor already close to jammed symptom. So when the engine rotate the pulley, the jammed pump resist the engine make the engine unnecessarily overloaded. and the belting also tearing up slowly. That's why this thing happen after 1 1/2 i drove to ipoh. Actually i did notice that when the compressor engage, it was kind of heavy to the engine. But i didn't expect that kind of consequences. Lesson learnt is to extra carefull when using halfcut parts. Today ealry in the morning i departed to ipoh to test the car. this time i don;t switch on the aircond. drive avg speed of 100. and then return to kl. no sign of hot etc. So main part of the problem is the aircond compressor. However based on the above sharing, if I rempit 130-140 all the way to ipoh, even off aircond, High possibility that i'm going to have engine cutoff because the piping not suitable for turbo breathing style. Like BE5RSK were having. but today i dont dare to drive 130-140 all the way since takut speed trap. hehehe.

it's kind of painful lesson, lost rm500 for tow truck. well they are from PJ to slim river and back to sungai wei close to 200km. middle of the night some more. I can't say much about the price. changed the aircond belting. the car running good but without aircond for the time being. Not sure about the compressor mounting type. issit denso or something else?

Even I already tested 3 days of traffic jam driving, no problem at all, at the end it gives problem when in the highways. so we need to test both condition. I'm running out of budget a bit for absorber and boost controller due to this problem. Lesson learnt is always spare some margin in your transplant budget not ngam2 :biggrin:
Good to know that u've solveed ur problem... Sorry for not being able to help. has been extremely busy till today...

cause my customer's perdana v6 converted to an EVO 3 engine.

kkawaii

May 22, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
by the way i encounter the same problem also, i using 2.5 inch piping,for a mivec-md non turbo version i think it should be enough why this happend?normally is when i step on the brek pedal it will blink, pls help

foofis

Known Member
May 23, 2010
Johor
hey guys, sorry, but i need to highjack kanan's thread. My kancil L2 engine also same, the exhaust tempt icon just "ON" by itself whenever car is on! This is incredible coz engine not yet crank, once on the key, it just come out. Could it be a faulty sensor or the wire sot liao ? @.@

Everyday I drive this car, I am abit worried.........hoohumm...

[H] [K] [S]

1,000 RPM
Dec 22, 2006
In my case the exhaust temp light will not go off & I've been driving my car for 5 years now without any major prob.... Ain't that weird....:hmmmm:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

What is you opinion, from your view, a sweidsh volvo 850 with japanese 17" Te37.

Tell what you think, match or not. Mostly in terms of region mismatches, not about the looks actually.

It's not about the looks, its about a european car using a japanese rim.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks.

I've added a photochopped image

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience