4AGE 20v BT IGN fuse blowing out

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

shem_lexluger

Dec 29, 2009
Subang Jaya
Hi,

My car has been acting up for the past week and it's been on the tow truck twice. The problem had been the same all along, there's no battery light and check engine light when the key is at ON position. Only got oil, handbrake-is-on and door-not-tight lights. This caused the car to die (if it's running on the road) and won't be able to start but still can crank.

Just a sidenote, everytime I towed the car back to the workshop who did the halfcut installation job in Puchong Utama coz they knew the car better.

So the first time it died and cant be re-started was when I was about 200m from my house just driving slowly at 2nd n 3rd gear. Then called tow truck. At the workshop, they tested plugging in an ECU from a 6spd halfcut and it started right up (battery and check engine light lights up). So just let sifoo Wong rebuild the ECU and installed back into the car. I drove the car from workshop to home feels normal n nice.

Then next day afternoon drove to lunch still normal. But later in the evening while driving, the car died somewhere in Shah Alam. So canceled my meeting and called tow truck. This time I didn't stay long and just left the car at the workshop. The next day the mech called he said the car is fixed by changing the engine main relay. Sounds pretty simple. So I took the car and drove about 60km that day between puchong, subang and shah alam. All is good. Finally I went home.

The next day, while in the porch, I put the key at the ON position and saw no battery and CEL again. I didn't bother to crank as I know it won't start.

Then another next day, my dad and I inspected the car at the relay box area and wiring until we noticed that the EFI relay has no power coming to the coil when key is at ON (not getting 12V, checked with multimeter). As a result, the EFI relay didn't contact and the ECU didn't get a +B. When we forced contact the EFI relay, the CEL light comes on (no battery light), we have a 12V at +B of the diagnosis port and the engine can start. Then I look for a circuit diagram on the net and found that the EFI relay coil is connected to the IGN fuse. So we found that the IGN fuse located at the driver's legroom fuse box was blown. The spec says 10A but mine was installed with 20A wtf. So replaced with a spare 10A fuse and we have the battery and CEL lights on and the car started.

Then another next day (saturday), drove the car back to Puchong Utama for inspection. No prob so far. However I was curious and wanted to test a bit more. So I drove around puchong and suddenly the car died at the high speed lane in front of IOI mall in heavy traffic. About 15min later and being hated by other drivers for causing traffic jam, I got the car running again by installing another spare 10A fuse. So u-turn back to puchong utama, left the car with the mech, told him about the problems and took a bus home.

So overall has been a really frustrating week and appreciate if anyone can give some input about this matter. I will keep updating on the progress too.

Thanks

Last edited:

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
U may wan to check your wiring, definitely something shorted so pulling power till 20A fuse also broke..

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
wiring problem is the most complicated thing to repair..

if it was me, i'd take out all the wiring.. & check it 1 by 1..

or buy another set of wiring & install it :biggrin:

shem_lexluger

Dec 29, 2009
Subang Jaya
A little update. Got the car today, mech fixed the shorted wire going to the IGN 10A fuse. He's been testing the car for 2 days without any problem. My turn to test now.

I also reset the timing to 10 deg and now with sifu Wong's rebuilt ECU, my engine over-run/dieseling/pre-ignition problem seems to have solved itself. Hopefully fixed for good.

shem_lexluger

Dec 29, 2009
Subang Jaya
A little update. Been using the car for abit over a week now and overall feels very nice. Just filled in full tank (40L) so now it's time to monitor the FC.

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
any chance sharing what was the root cause...is it confirm the wiring shorted out...??

i'm think i'm having a similar problem...electrical current to my car ECU intermittently interrupted/abrupted...for time being as of now its ok...but last sunday during heavy downpour kena engine died at somewhat highspeed...i dont want to take anymore chances with it... damn scary when brakes and power steering suddenly power out at that speed...during rain somemore... :afraid:

shem_lexluger

Dec 29, 2009
Subang Jaya
In my case, whenever the ECU lost power and car stalled, it was the 10A IGN fuse that got blown. So yes there was a short in that particular simple wiring (based on the circuit diagram I referred to). I think in your case it's at the early stages of the problem where the short is not serious enough to blow a fuse yet because your car can still run right?

I know mine was like that in the beginning, ECU lost power, CEL and battery light not on but it came on after like cranking many times. So at that point I guess the IGN fuse was not blown yet because otherwise it won't start at all.

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
thanks for the explanation and sharing...as of now none of my fuse blow yet...just the power somehow didnt reach the ecu intermittently hopefully it just an isolated cases...after light tap at the fuse box area (the fuses and relays)...it seems to solve the problem and the car/engine run like it normally does...and i really hope it permanently solve it...i'm now considering to refresh/replace the wiring loom...

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
thanks for the explanation and sharing...as of now none of my fuse blow yet...just the power somehow didnt reach the ecu intermittently hopefully it just an isolated cases...after light tap at the fuse box area (the fuses and relays)...it seems to solve the problem and the car/engine run like it normally does...and i really hope it permanently solve it...i'm now considering to refresh/replace the wiring loom...
intermittent of power supply usually cause by sumthing not properly fasten..

or it is caused by water short circuiting ur wiring :biggrin:

and check ur battery connection too :wink:

tengko

Sep 10, 2008
khairul-joran.blogspot.com
This evening when I drove back from office my car suddenly die without any sign. When I check fuse efi fuse 15A is blow then I replace new one then engine can start but run only about 5 minute then die again any body can help me

shem_lexluger

Dec 29, 2009
Subang Jaya
Hi bro, what I can suggest is for you to check the wiring diagram of your car model or closest model to see what components the EFI fuse circuit affects.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello again!

I would like to ask if anybody tried to DIY a motorized side mirror
on a non-motorized side mirror before?
Am driving a Persona M-Line. On the market, there is motorized ones but it cost RM180++ per pair.

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2186101/all
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience