Toyota Vios n/a modification

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
That is why any mod getting 2 to 3bhp you will feel next to nothing, probably like most say smoother drive....lol
Wasting time. And money.

Exhaust always “feel” fast because of the sound. End up still damn slow.

Make no mistake, feeling fast and fast is very different.

Don’t waste time siok sendiri. Also, exhaust gains (extractor + exhaust system) usually at the peak RPM. How often you drive at peak?

Reactions: sanekit

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
hmm no turbo or supercharger mods ehh....

i think the most practical will be a 2zz conversion :laugh:
(not saying cheapest, just practical)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi guys, new member here, as a rookie to modification world, wanna ask is that any way to upgrade your car performance without turbo or supercharger modifications?
(cuz the maintaince and cost too much lol)
Besides, one of my friend recommd me to change the 1.8 throttle body, but there are others of my friend say it is not worth, any idea?
Last but not least, my car is 1st generation vios 06 year model (ncp42)
My 2 cents.

- Since this is a shared car between you and someone else, don't bother modding for power. Make the car handle better with a set of good aftermarket suspension, a lightweight set of rims, a good set of tyres, lightweight larger brake calipers and rotors, sound proofing and better headlights would make the car nicer to drive and possibly even easier to drive.

- Don't add a ton of UR bars too, understand what each bar does and only decide which bars you need and install those only. Adding everything will stiffen everything and that may not translate into a better drive.

- Exhaust mods at this point is pointless. If you do big mods with your engine then change exhaust to match, sure. Do nothing and just change exhaust - waste money. Stock is good enough la. 4-2-1 or 4-1 won't make financial sense, it's not like your car currently is slow. Vios' in general have great pickup and have great FC. They just don't handle well most of the time.

- Changing to a large TB will have some downsides. If you're unlucky you'll get "on/off" throttle. In my own experience with Myvis, the 2nd gen has a larger TB than the 1st gen and I have both. Swapped the two around and the response was sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiightly better on the 1st gen Myvi. Not significant. The 2nd gen one has larger valves and all - so if I swapped the head then I'd have better performance. But I wasn't going to do that on a pointless minor performance upgrade. The head gaskets cost more than the performance gained.

Like I said - the Vios is a great performing car. It's not gonna beat any land speed records or outrun a R35, but it's not a slouch and drives pretty well. With a good set of suspension, brakes and rims+tyres, you'd have a pretty nice car to drive around in. Learn to drive the car fast bro without the performance mods. I know a guy who drives his Myvi 1.5 STOCK (except for 15" rims + good tyres) faster than a lot of people going up Genting. In fact he's so fast people driving way more powerful cars have claimed he has a modded car until they see his tiny little exhaust pipe and stock engine bay.

Reactions: Liang95

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I know a guy who drives his Myvi 1.5 STOCK (except for 15" rims + good tyres) faster than a lot of people going up Genting. In fact he's so fast people driving way more powerful cars have claimed he has a modded car until they see his tiny little exhaust pipe and stock engine bay.
Manual?

They forget to check between his legs. Balls of steel.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Yup, Manual. He had amazing control of his car and familiarity of the road conditions helped a lot
I guess thats the same Myvi that overtook my brother in a manual Neo CPS. That driver really knows the road as he position his car nicely for each corner.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I guess thats the same Myvi that overtook my brother in a manual Neo CPS. That driver really knows the road as he position his car nicely for each corner.
TAKUMI? He use the gutter technique cause he knows where it is. But then the tyres probably 75 profile tyres cause Malaysia gutters are deep deep longkang

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
TAKUMI? He use the gutter technique cause he knows where it is. But then the tyres probably 75 profile tyres cause Malaysia gutters are deep deep longkang
No,no....75 profile tires built to handle potholes.
Malaysian Gutters require backhoe spec tires to make sure it can climb out again.

Liang95

Aug 4, 2018
Wasting time. And money.

Exhaust always “feel” fast because of the sound. End up still damn slow.

Make no mistake, feeling fast and fast is very different.

Don’t waste time siok sendiri. Also, exhaust gains (extractor + exhaust system) usually at the peak RPM. How often you drive at peak?
Sorry for the late reply lol
Hm, if wanna say the often RPM, i cant really answer lol, cuz i always accelerate hard when the road is clear, mayb 4?
Haha

Liang95

Aug 4, 2018
hmm no turbo or supercharger mods ehh....

i think the most practical will be a 2zz conversion :laugh:
(not saying cheapest, just practical)
My dream to place in a 2zz in vios lol
But mayb I will try 4age if i got lots of money to go lol

Liang95

Aug 4, 2018
My 2 cents.

- Since this is a shared car between you and someone else, don't bother modding for power. Make the car handle better with a set of good aftermarket suspension, a lightweight set of rims, a good set of tyres, lightweight larger brake calipers and rotors, sound proofing and better headlights would make the car nicer to drive and possibly even easier to drive.

- Don't add a ton of UR bars too, understand what each bar does and only decide which bars you need and install those only. Adding everything will stiffen everything and that may not translate into a better drive.

- Exhaust mods at this point is pointless. If you do big mods with your engine then change exhaust to match, sure. Do nothing and just change exhaust - waste money. Stock is good enough la. 4-2-1 or 4-1 won't make financial sense, it's not like your car currently is slow. Vios' in general have great pickup and have great FC. They just don't handle well most of the time.

- Changing to a large TB will have some downsides. If you're unlucky you'll get "on/off" throttle. In my own experience with Myvis, the 2nd gen has a larger TB than the 1st gen and I have both. Swapped the two around and the response was sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiightly better on the 1st gen Myvi. Not significant. The 2nd gen one has larger valves and all - so if I swapped the head then I'd have better performance. But I wasn't going to do that on a pointless minor performance upgrade. The head gaskets cost more than the performance gained.

Like I said - the Vios is a great performing car. It's not gonna beat any land speed records or outrun a R35, but it's not a slouch and drives pretty well. With a good set of suspension, brakes and rims+tyres, you'd have a pretty nice car to drive around in. Learn to drive the car fast bro without the performance mods. I know a guy who drives his Myvi 1.5 STOCK (except for 15" rims + good tyres) faster than a lot of people going up Genting. In fact he's so fast people driving way more powerful cars have claimed he has a modded car until they see his tiny little exhaust pipe and stock engine bay.
Thanks for the suggestion and advice, helps me a lot by asking what I wanna ask lol

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Sorry for the late reply lol
Hm, if wanna say the often RPM, i cant really answer lol, cuz i always accelerate hard when the road is clear, mayb 4?
Haha
Just being VERY honest with you. I modified my boat with every N/A modification there is, short of opening the engine block.

Seriously, waste time. Just get good tyres. Enjoy the corners.

It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow.

With my boat I can always drive around with full throttle and full braking to entertain myself. Would have been better if it was manual.

With my car, full throttle and I will shit myself. Full braking and my face will almost be kissing my steering (omg those stupid brakes is awesome).

Reactions: Izso

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Upgrading to larger TB will increase air intake but again as Ixeo mentioned, the gain is marginal only. For NA engines, you need to do almost end-to-end mods from intake to full exhaust plus some remapping to start feeling a decent gain and by then you'd already spent quite a lot of money. Since your car is an auto, that's even worse because what ever gain that you get will get masked more by the sluggish automatic. I'm not saying you should not mod, but I guess you should not set your expectation too high.

I also agree with Ixeo that the best mod and the easiest you can do for your car is get the best high performance tire available for your size. That will improve your car handling and cornering significantly. Then slightly stiffer suspension with thicker antiroll bars should be enough to help you have a bit more fun in the car, plus feeling more safe and stable in the process too. Next should be braking, especially if your stock brakes are not so good. Handling and braking are more important mods than power. Only after you got those sorted out then only start thinking about power mods.
+1 , lightweight wheels and good tires, brakes, bars...etc = safety

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The Shell Eco Marathon is a platform for energy efficient vehicles and spearheading an assault on that title will be the Naza World Taylor’s University Eco Team that features first-year students from the institution of higher learning’s school of engineering and backing from Naza World.

“Naza is proud to support and encourage the aspirations of Malaysia’s youth. Our contribution in this endeavour is well...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience