How to remove burnt oil stains on SS exhaust extractor

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Set aside show/pretty/ugly/weight, wrapping with thermal wrap can compromise SS ? :confused:
http://www.centuryperformance.com/exhaust-header-heat-wraps-do-not-use.html
I laughed so hard reading that link my ass caught fire.
Let me summarize it for you

1. Exhaust wrap is effective at keeping heat in, more so than ceramic coating wish it ever can. Cool, no sites ever disputed that fact.

2. The site you linked to, Century performance sells Sanderson headers.. which guess what? Offers ceramic coating on their headers for a premium of $200 and up. The guy selling snake oil will say snake oil is good and Indian oil is bad, and vice versa.

3. People who parrot saying headers will fail due to wrap.. never wrapped theirs before... people who did, well... https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498224

wrapped my stainless steel header 7 years ago.. guess what? It's still in one solid piece. Car is daily driven everyday. Just recently wrapped my downpipe... better check it for cracks cause it's crap quality. But I have absolute confidence in the header.

4. Headers do fail even without exhaust wrap, that's call thermal fatigue, but you can also call it CRAP headers. They can be crap due to weak design, high vibrations (especially), being stressed beyond designed capacity/load.

Example: http://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/exhaust-manifold-crack-record-thread-959149/

5. Saying thermal wrap causes rust and thermal failure on stainless steel is like saying oxygen causes rust and we shouldn't breathe...

The reason why i avoid wrapping is exactly what sweelt shown you above. I hope you respect different opinions and no i'm not the kind of guy that cares about "show and not go". peace.
People who hang out here long enough knows I'm not here to be a popular guy, I generally don't give a shit what people say or do. But quoting half truths like the Bible is a no joy for me.

So if you BELIEVE that thermal wrap is the cause of cracked headers, I've thrown that claim out of the window cause they crack without wraps too. Sure you can still believe that, but you better stop breathing cause oxygen causes rust dude.

I respect science and truth. Not opinions cause those are like assholes, everybody's got one. I've shown that your "reason" is invalid. And that link is written with commercial interest in mind. Guess what? I'm not selling anything.

And to answer your original question, give Brasso a try. But if it's etched in with oil I think it's pretty challengeing to remove, which is why I suggested wrap in the first place - that way you won't look at the eye sore and get a cooler engine bay at the same time. Black wrap looks damn cool on headers.

Last edited:

y2188

Known Member
Jan 4, 2016
Petaling Jaya
diy elbow grease laa. but u need to remove the extractor. LOL. but since you're removing it, just dip it in acid can do. :rofl:
It's damn tedious job to remove it man, gotta remove the radiator fan,crossmember,engine mounting bracket. sighhh.

Wet sand is sandpaper and water loh!
Hahahha got it :proud:

People who hang out here long enough knows I'm not here to be a popular guy, I generally don't give a shit what people say or do. But quoting half truths like the Bible is a no joy for me.

So if you BELIEVE that thermal wrap is the cause of cracked headers, I've thrown that claim out of the window cause they crack without wraps too. Sure you can still believe that, but you better stop breathing cause oxygen causes rust dude.

I respect science and truth. Not opinions cause those are like assholes, everybody's got one. I've shown that your "reason" is invalid. And that link is written with commercial interest in mind. Guess what? I'm not selling anything.

And to answer your original question, give Brasso a try. But if it's etched in with oil I think it's pretty challengeing to remove, which is why I suggested wrap in the first place - that way you won't look at the eye sore and get a cooler engine bay at the same time. Black wrap looks damn cool on headers.
This topic has been discussed on and on all over the web. The reason i didn't want to wrap it now is simple. On a car that is driven short distances to work and home like mine most of the time, I doubt the runners will be hot enough to evaporate the moisture trapped inside especially during rainy days it could be worse. As the topic suggested, I'm asking if there is anyway of removing the oil stain. Period. A simple reply like the last line would be much appreciated, after all we are here to exchange ideas. Peace :fisheye::fisheye:

Last edited:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Normal lah, alignment out a bit...lol
Is healthy discussions.
Discussion with moody boss is worst than here.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Y1288 :

Don't be a wuss. A little oil stain never hurt anyone. Just chrome the thing and bling it with gemstones for special 3D effects. :biggrin:

And generally those titanium stained look is done with heat right? If you lost the stain you need to go heat it up with a hot welding tool or a flame thrower. I recommend the flame thrower. Melt body parts is the new black too. Doooooooiiiiiiiittttt

y2188

Known Member
Jan 4, 2016
Petaling Jaya
it's gonna take at least 2 days to remove, sand, polish and then install back. :rofl:
Deswai when the car is in the workshop then probably i bring extractor home to molest lol

Find exhaust heat shield cover, cover up......lol:biggrin:
Not enough space d, it's about 1cm away from my aircond fan. Which i already grind off the metal housing a bit. If not cannot fit at all.

Aftermarket header no place to screw heatshield...lol
ya lol

Y1288 :

Don't be a wuss. A little oil stain never hurt anyone. Just chrome the thing and bling it with gemstones for special 3D effects. :biggrin:

And generally those titanium stained look is done with heat right? If you lost the stain you need to go heat it up with a hot welding tool or a flame thrower. I recommend the flame thrower. Melt body parts is the new black too. Doooooooiiiiiiiittttt
It hurt my soul a little. :biggrin: when i got the extractor it's silver, after one day of usage its gold then one week later there's these titanium stained look near the ports and now it's covered in oil stain everywhere lol God damn workshop pasang with oily hands then fire up the engine only :banghead::banghead:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
i've tried Autosol on a stainless exhaust manifold but it was a pain as the results were barely substantial or worth the effort to work on the entire manifold. You might be better off sand blasting it and have it thermal coated maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM9WDK105Bk

just stumbled on this video, there may be hope for polishing paste after all. The video says their polish is different because it is made for stainless steel exhaust specifically and unlike the regular pastes, this product is not aluminium friendly so that might explain its effectiveness for polishing exhausts

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
i've tried Autosol on a stainless exhaust manifold but it was a pain as the results were barely substantial or worth the effort to work on the entire manifold. You might be better off sand blasting it and have it thermal coated maybe

just stumbled on this video, there may be hope for polishing paste after all. The video says their polish is different because it is made for stainless steel exhaust specifically and unlike the regular pastes, this product is not aluminium friendly so that might explain its effectiveness for polishing exhausts
Other than Autosol, you try Brasso. Last time Brasso comes in clear liquid form. Now they have the cream version like Autosol. Brasso is a lot stronger tho.

y2188

Known Member
Jan 4, 2016
Petaling Jaya

Thanks for the info Tom! Appreciate it :biggrin::biggrin: gonna go read up more about this product. I wonder if malaysia imported this :hmmmm:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Now I think I need to clean up oil stain on my extractor as well. Tried scraping it off and end up scratching my extractor. But the stain did come off from scratching.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

Im currently driving a 1.6 sohc proton satria. I am interested in converting the head to dohc. Need all sifu's here advice on all the things and parts i have to get. Also need to know any reliable mechanic that can get the job done and total cost for the whole conversion.

I also need to know such a mod would affect my car engine in the long run? Would i have to change ecu? and finally the difference im bound to expect upon completing the mod.

I just heard about this and i...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience