Should We Have Arms or Weapons In The Car To Protect Ourselves?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Should We Keep Weapons In The Car?

• Yes, to protect myself.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, we might hurt someone else or ourselves.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
Actually the lawyer that fired the gun should have aimed at the deceased leg or something. Probably being at that age his aiming is not that sharp so he went for the easy target.
That sounds good in theory but completely unworkable in practice.

I'm not trying to needle you for coming up with that suggestion, but since we are here info-sharing, I might as well be more straightforward. No offence intended.

That 'shoot the assailant to wound' theory is something we hear all the time from folks who never ever used a firearm under extreme stress (eg. when you are being assaulted).

At various points in my life, I have employed firearms...mainly in sports (hunting, target shooting, and combat style IPSC typ-events). In the last catergory of competition, the emphasis is on self-defence scenarios.

A few points are relevant :-

1. Any reasonably fit assailant and those who are physically under the influence of controlled substances (drugs, LSD, etc) will be able to cover a distance of 20 feet in less than a second. That's faster than a lot of people can clear their gun from a concealed holster. If you don't believe me, you can simulate this yourself. All you need is you, a friend, and a stopwatch. Have your buddy pace out 20 feet distance and have him turn to face you. On your 'Go' signal, have him make a run at you full tilt. As soon as he reaches near enough to shoulder tap you, stop the stopwatch. Any threat with a knife or blunt weapon 20 feet or closer is lethal.

2. Bullets don't stop people dead in their tracks despite what you see in the movies. This is made worse by the fact that the presence of adrenaline or drugs in the body of an assailant will lessen any perception of pain, and in many cases (eg. with assailants high on PCP) the body does not perceive pain in the normal sense and does not react in response to stimuli of inflicted pain (eg. bullet wounds). The only guaranteed instant one-shot stop is a shot to the central nervous system (the brain, the spine). Lung shots are notorious for failures to stop. It can be fatal eventually, but your assailant will have plenty of steam left to kill you before he expires. Generally, they teach a double-tap. Two quick consecutive shots to body centre mass and continue as necessary until target is down This is the largest, most easily aimed target during high stress and where major organs are located (specifically the heart). Hits to aorta or any large vessel of the heart are fatal and will cause an almost instantaneous loss in blood pressure to render an assailant non-effective. Hits to the extremities such as legs and arms are poor stoppers. There are major arteries running through your leg, namely the femoral artery which is potentially fatal when severed due to massive bleeding, but your assailant won't bleed out before he has time to knife you.

3. Most folks can't shoot for shit, much less do it during stress under the threat of life and death. Despite what you might think, not many firearm owners are really proficient with their guns. The standard Malaysian police annual re-qualification course for licence renewal consist of the applicant standing at a peaceful gun range and taking all the time they need to put a full magazine of bullets into an inanimate target (aprrox 2.5' x 2.5' feet) downrange at around 50 feet. As long as you put all the bullets within the target, you pass. It's a piece of cake. By the way, the target does not shoot back, nor does it charge at you with a knife. Under assault, it's understandable that most gun owners do not have the composure to pull off exceptional marksmanship. It's difficult enough to centerpunch an assailant with a double-tap, much less with multiple assailants and with civilian in the background.

Shooting the leg, or shooting to wound is easily said but not something easily accomplished.

In my opinion that lawyer did everything right. I read that case before. He did not escalate the fight. It was the other guy who went for him and did not stop even after he saw the firearm and was challenged to stop. When he continued advancing with weapon in hand, the ingredients for next level of force was met. Notice one important thing...the court never insist on a need to 'shoot to wound'. The court was only concerned whether his response was disproportionate. Under the circumstances, it was deemed justifiable. The consequences of the assailant (whther he lived or died) is not relevant once the employment of a firearm was justified.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

how the extendable rod thinggy, even sold at pasar malam..
is that legal?
It's a retractable baton. There are no other plausible uses for any any baton other than its use as an impact weapon. So it might be tricky explaining to the cops if such an item is found in your possession.

As [Pimpin] suggested, a Maglite will be a more explainable option. Made of high strength aluminium, the longer ones are hefty and durable enough to double as an impact weapon. There is nothing sinister for keeping a Maglite torch in your car...(for breakdowns and illumination etc)

Last edited:

sagaevo

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Good write FVel....in most cases....yes we talk when things doesn't get wrong as if we are fearless or gung-ho.....but humans emotion relatively are unpredictable....when a loner wimp is cornered with his life on the threat....he will fight back in any given chances to get out alive. Its either he surpasses the ordeal or he don't at all...thats up to his survival wits

I agree with what you said on the "walk-off" from a fight....that's what i do even if i'm alone or with my family with me while on the road.....couple of scenes happened before this as personal experiences of mine, like some f***faces gets on slowdown and started staring dog at you like they are in this world has the biggest balls and uncontrollable killer instinct-anger attitude, some showing finger or any sort provoking signal or gestures to intimidate you, some morons stops and getting out of the car and then start to seek a unregulated boxing match with you....there are couple of these dramas on our road every single freaking day. To me, my approach is simple: "You bagus, you handal, you kuat and you hebat, you menang.....saya kalah..." but IF the situation in mere nonsense stage and avoidable.....but when situation comes to boiling point like for example accident cases that leads up intolerable differences which spikes up to a different level of argument...then i will have to take all my chances to defend myself if things turns ugly.....but normally in our sensical way, we settle in diplomatic and fair manners with the intervation of the Law....

Last time i used to keep samurai swords (both long and short) in my car for my own protection (and yes, i used it and was nearly going to wave it before in one stupid incident)....my dad found out and immediately took that away from me.....he gave me mouthful of words after that and i just rewind myself and think back what he said.....now....i just make 2 steps behind if one or more person (don't care on him being smaller or bigger than me...) start to create a commotion or "cari pasal".....unless if the person pushes the edge too far away from all diplomatic settlement...

But still, i do keep a cricket bat and a big hard rotan for my own protection if in case of unpredictable incident.....not for the sake of showing bravery or who-has-biggest-balls-measuring issue, but for the sake of my own and my families life to be safe out...

I partly believe in "street justice"....but only on comes right time and right circumstances.......

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
FVel, Yea I think your are right. I have not handle a firearm before so just take my comment as a noob. Anyway what happened to the lawyer? Was he charged. Can't remember the outcome.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
FVel, Yea I think your are right. I have not handle a firearm before so just take my comment as a noob. Anyway what happened to the lawyer? Was he charged. Can't remember the outcome.
He was acquitted. Meaning he was found not guilty in court. So yes, he was charged and had to go through the normal police procedures, etc. But in the end, the judge saw that given his age and the threat that he was faced with including the fact that he had fired a warning shot, was enough grounds for it be classified as self defense. I'm not a lawyer or anything but I roughly know the general details of what happened throughout the whole ordeal. Took an interest in following the events unfolding since his daughter and my elder sister were house mates during Uni days.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

As [Pimpin] suggested, a Maglite will be a more explainable option. Made of high strength aluminium, the longer ones are hefty and durable enough to double as an impact weapon. There is nothing sinister for keeping a Maglite torch in your car...(for breakdowns and illumination etc)
Good to see that we have a weapons expert here on ZTH. :adore:

I hope people actually take the time to read what you have written because I believe that most people who have never been exposed to firearms before really have no idea what to expect. Nor do they realize what a huge responsibility even having a license is. My Dad had a gun license from when I was a kid but he kept his firearm at the balai and I think by now he has surrendered it. Growing up, my Mum was especially strict about guns and my Dad's bodyguards were not allowed to bring them into the house. In fact, until today that is still the case today. Only one of my elder cousins gets away with bringing a gun into any of our homes and I think it's because my Mum does not realize he wears an ankle holster. Plus its a Walther PPK 9mm and with baggy pants, unless you were looking for it the average person would not notice.

I do shoot from time to time although not in Malaysian ranges. If you own land over a certain acreage like an orchard etc, you can apply for a license and we do have .22 rifles at our dusuns. And since I'm from Perlis, its only a matter of crossing into Thailand and you can pay to shoot at the gun clubs there. Usually, I shoot the Sig P226 although they have some interesting guns you can try out but even in a less regulated country like Thailand the gun range is not like in the movies. There are very very very strict rules which you can never ever break. FVel can confirm this. Among them, never point a gun even if its unloaded at anybody at anytime. Ever. If you're not ready to shoot it should always point downwards, finger never on the trigger, etc. Weapons discipline is no joke. If you're new, someone loads the magazine for you, etc. Of course, people never realize how loud a gun shot really is until they hear it go off.

Anyway, FVel definitely knows more and can probably go on for many pages on guns, shooting, firearms act 1967 (?), etc. But the point is that guns are not toys and neither are samurais, katanas, brass knuckles, batons etc. If you carry such weapons you'd have to be willing to use it. How many actually will when push comes to shove? Would you even have time to react? Of all the weapons sold in and around KL, I'd say the brass knuckles are probably the worst to have in your possession. Most of the batons sold are rather flimsy. The retractable ones are hollow and quality isn't great. You're better off using a solid thick rotan - it would definitely hurt more than the baton. The samurais and katanas although dangerous aren't the same samurais you get in Japan. Usually they are meant as ornamental pieces and decorative items. Sure you can get them sharpened but how strong is the actual blade? I'm guessing its not Damascus steel although they may be advertised as such. The brass knuckles will do damage especially if used in a blow to the head, could even be permanent.

I know we all want to be safe and would do anything to protect our loved ones, but don't do anything silly. Try not to carry a weapon when there is no immediate threat to your safety. If you do want something to at least fend off assailants, then as mentioned the Maglite is your safest bet. But safety is also way of life. How you live, where you live, the way you carry yourself, etc. People detect vulnerability and exploit your weaknesses.

Try to be more situationally aware of your surroundings. If you have a nice car, perhaps you don't walk up to it straight away. Look around the carpark for anything suspicious and if something doesn't feel right, walk away. While driving, keep to roads you are familiar with and know to be safe. Even then, you should at least know two or three different ways to get to and from somewhere. Keep an eye on cars around you and if possible note the type of people inside. When stopped at the lights, don't play with your mobile while leaving your windows open. Casually glance at your mirrors every so often to see if there are suspicious motorbikes creeping up behind etc.

There are many ways to keep safe. These are just some that I made a part of my life and there are more. It doesn't always have to begin with weapons, but with your mindset and how you go about securing your family and your property.

Stay safe guys. FVel, thanks for that post it was informative.

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
dayumm this is a good thread
very very informative on self defence
though i wish we lived in a world where self defence wasnt necessary :banghead:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
dayumm this is a good thread
very very informative on self defence
though i wish we lived in a world where self defence wasnt necessary :banghead:
Yes, it sure has been. How can we live in world where self defense isn't necessary when one of the most advanced and powerful nation on earth has a constitution where every citizen has the right to bear arms?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Haha... I always have one in mine... Secret epic weapon >.^

pengyu

Known Member
Sep 28, 2006
i got 3-Dcell maglite i have in my car. Primarily for emergency use - breakdowns etc. But, it also can be used for self defense.
However, if im not around which im not most of the time, i gave my wife a pepper spray. Yes, it wont work with full face helmet, but the mist of pepper spray itself can slow you down.

Try to get an original maglite. I prefer 4-Dcell ones, but they are expensive. If you ever go to US, get couple of those..they are lot cheaper there than Malaysia by more than half price. I know this because i bought a couple.

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

trying to diversify on this discussion..
how about weapons in the house?
do u keep one? if so, what do u keep?

because yes, maybe its different situation..but still in the cruel world nowadays, u can never be over prepared.

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
[/COLOR]trying to diversify on this discussion..
how about weapons in the house?
do u keep one? if so, what do u keep?

because yes, maybe its different situation..but still in the cruel world nowadays, u can never be over prepared.
I have a golf stick by my bedside. A cleaver also very accessible. Hehe. In the house anything can be a weapon and you don't need to be kind to intruder as they are trespassing. If they break in it's whack and make sure they don't see the light of day.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
i got 3-Dcell maglite i have in my car. Primarily for emergency use - breakdowns etc. But, it also can be used for self defense.
However, if im not around which im not most of the time, i gave my wife a pepper spray. Yes, it wont work with full face helmet, but the mist of pepper spray itself can slow you down.

Try to get an original maglite. I prefer 4-Dcell ones, but they are expensive. If you ever go to US, get couple of those..they are lot cheaper there than Malaysia by more than half price. I know this because i bought a couple.

Dude are you referring to one of those electric prod? Used a lot by china cops... That's illegal right? U used to have one picked up form somewhere but never got to try it coz it malfunctioned.

pengyu

Known Member
Sep 28, 2006
it shouldnt be illegal. ive seen it been sold at Ace Hardware. Its just a flashlight..a big one at that.
But, its not a weapon. just like a golf club. not a weapon, but can be used as weapon if needed to and its not as lethal as knife,or anything else.

But yes, lotsa cops using it as a non-lethal self defense equipment. There's even a instructions on how to use it as a self defense equipment.

But, to be honest, i dont see that it can be illegal due to the fact that its just a bigger flashlight.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Oh I see... You mean that one... I thought you are referring to the torchlight that has the stun-gun function. You know, those that can shock people with high voltage....

pengyu

Known Member
Sep 28, 2006
u need a close contact with the person to even use a stun-gun and its not legal at all.
But, pepper spray is..and its easily concealable. Good for woman to keep it in purse and might as well have one to keep it in the car.

Conceal it in the pocket or something if you think you will get into arguments and if the other person is too aggressive, you can use it as a self defense and then just get the hell out of there straight to police station.

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
[PIMPIN];1063541380 said:
Yes, it sure has been. How can we live in world where self defense isn't necessary when one of the most advanced and powerful nation on earth has a constitution where every citizen has the right to bear arms?
hehe thats why i wish that wasn't the case and everyone respects everyone enough to keep the peace :biggrin:

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
i keep a thick hard elastic rubber hose of about 50cm length .. its good for self defense .. hit ppl dam pain + easy to grip, short .. hard for opponent to take it away from us .. use it like a whip .. can absorb impact also .. wont hurt yourself if hit too hard LOL

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
i have a pedal lock.. quite heavy & can be use as a weapon..

also have umbrella.. haha.. common self defense item..

also have fire extinguisher.. this thing can kill people if inhaled..

and last but not least a few cable tie.. to tie crooks & criminals..

:biggrin:

sagaevo

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Good that this thread opened some of our eyes and great thanks to FVel and [PIMPIN] for pointing out the reality sense to us all, they already have mentioned the drawbacks and horrors of the these illegal items....its better to have the Maglite rather than a parang or rambo knife or stun guns or whatever....safety is our priority but do remember we are not residing in war-torn or extreme crime-ridden countries.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Today as I left my house and was passing by Pusat Bandar Damansara, these two indian guys in an Datsun 120Y or something like that pulled up beside me (I was going really slow in left lane since just started up engine for the day) and these two guys just kept staring at me. Not to point fingers or anything but I've met my share of criminals to know what they look like.

They then followed behind me as I moved into the center lane then again as I moved into the right hand land at this time I was passing Tivoli Villa on my left. I was headed to OUG so I needed to take Kerinchi Link but pretty much left it to the last second before cutting across all three lanes to the turnoff.

It may have been nothing or it could have led to something but either way that I'd rather not find out. Situational awareness is extremely important IMHO. Especially at night, as I've mentioned earlier, look around properly before even approaching your car. Then always have your key ready, get in and immediately lock the doors. That's the first thing I do - lock the doors. It's not much, but in any event it could make all the difference.

i keep a thick hard elastic rubber hose of about 50cm length .. its good for self defense .. hit ppl dam pain + easy to grip, short .. hard for opponent to take it away from us .. use it like a whip .. can absorb impact also .. wont hurt yourself if hit too hard LOL
How does that work? A 1.5ft rubber hose doesn't seem like a typical weapon. Would you keep it rolled up? I'm just imagining how it would work. I've seen a person use a belt in the way you describe but it didn't end well for him once the other party managed to grab onto one end.

i have a pedal lock.. quite heavy & can be use as a weapon..

also have umbrella.. haha.. common self defense item..

also have fire extinguisher.. this thing can kill people if inhaled..

and last but not least a few cable tie.. to tie crooks & criminals..

:biggrin:
Pedal lock and steering lock are two things I overlooked. Capable of causing a lot of damage yet is perfectly logical to have one permanently in your car. Never knew fire extinguishers can kill. Do you mean the smaller ones for use in cars or the big ones like in shops and buildings? A bit weird right if it was the larger type heheh.

I do have cable ties in my car but the 4-6in ones lah hahah can sambung into one long one to restrain criminals. Remnants of my past attempts at DIY that somehow got PR status in the glovebox.

Good that this thread opened some of our eyes and great thanks to FVel and [PIMPIN] for pointing out the reality sense to us all, they already have mentioned the drawbacks and horrors of the these illegal items....its better to have the Maglite rather than a parang or rambo knife or stun guns or whatever....safety is our priority but do remember we are not residing in war-torn or extreme crime-ridden countries.
All good bro, I'm only sharing what I know. Perhaps others may have experiences I've never even imagined. The more informed we all are, the better our chances of staying safe. Anything can happen to pretty much anyone.

So take care guys, peace. :driver:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
if curious of ppl around us, just take pic of the person just incase we might used it if (touchwood) anything happen to us.

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

if i suspect anyone suspecious like wat happened to PIMPIN, i will just
smile at them, if they dun smile back also nvm...at least they will know that we recognise them.....
& will think twice if they wanna rob or steal our car.

while walking to your car, always hold your keys in your hand.....grip it tightly...incase if anywan surprises u from behind,
just swing your fist & hope your key will puncture his face....especially ladies...

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
[PIMPIN];1063547714 said:
Pedal lock and steering lock are two things I overlooked. Capable of causing a lot of damage yet is perfectly logical to have one permanently in your car. Never knew fire extinguishers can kill. Do you mean the smaller ones for use in cars or the big ones like in shops and buildings? A bit weird right if it was the larger type heheh.

I do have cable ties in my car but the 4-6in ones lah hahah can sambung into one long one to restrain criminals. Remnants of my past attempts at DIY that somehow got PR status in the glovebox.

All good bro, I'm only sharing what I know. Perhaps others may have experiences I've never even imagined. The more informed we all are, the better our chances of staying safe. Anything can happen to pretty much anyone.

So take care guys, peace. :driver:

fire extinguisher is fatal if inhaled.. but i doubt any1 would take a breath when sprayed with it.. hehe.. it would be a good multipurpose thingy in your car.. can replace pepper spray & help u when ur car on fire.. :biggrin: oh ya.. mine is a mini type suitable for car use..

about the cable tie, i think it's better to tie it in a shape of '8'.. tie 1 on 1 hand & connect the other one..

authorities using this type of cable tie.. :burnout: