WTA: Owning a Evo VIII

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Just to add on:

6. Insurance. I'm not sure if 90K is the standard price for an Evo 8. I'm looking at 2005 Evo 8s going at 95K to 105K. Using the upper range:

Vehicle Price : 105,000
Downpay: 50,000
Interest: 5%
Pay Period: 7 Years
Monthly Installment = 884

Vehicle Price: 105,000
Coverage: Comprehensive
Engine CC: 1.6 - 2.2
NCD: 0%
Annual Premium = MYR 3,044

*To add on: 4G63T engines... you'll get 6KM per Litre the moment you get stuck in a little traffic.

7. GPS Tracking / Anti-Theft Device: I STRONGLY suggest you get one of these. The Captor system goes up to MYR 2,500. Simpler systems are available. Additionally, if you build close relationships in the community as you can get help tracking down the car.

YOU MUST get a tracking device. The reason being LanEvos are thief magnets.
Evo VIII now are selling mostly below 90k, some even below 80k. But yeah there are a few still asking above 90k, I suppose it all depends on condition. Year 2005 though is already transition year to Evo IX.

Not just tracking but also put as much security you can to prevent it being stolen in the first place (good alarms with multiple types of sensors, immobilizer with passwords, good steering locks, and good pedal locks as well).

newneo

Known Member
Dec 30, 2008
www.satrianeor3.wordpress.com
Just to add on:

6. Insurance. I'm not sure if 90K is the standard price for an Evo 8. I'm looking at 2005 Evo 8s going at 95K to 105K. Using the upper range:

*To add on: 4G63T engines... you'll get 6KM per Litre the moment you get stuck in a little traffic.

7. GPS Tracking / Anti-Theft Device: I STRONGLY suggest you get one of these. The Captor system goes up to MYR 2,500. Simpler systems are available. Additionally, if you build close relationships in the community as you can get help tracking down the car.

For a 2005 manufactured car.. the max loan can go is 4 years.Hence the monthly will be almost double than what u hv quoted..

issuzark

500 RPM
Sep 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Very interesting thread. Gave me an insight on how much I would need to maintain a JDM of that tier. Still can't afford one though :banghead:

mototo

Known Member
Mar 2, 2004
NSW
Visit site
some thoughts
currently 5 years and counting on my 8 gsr ownership. granted i am based in sydney but traffic here is fast becoming klang valley style.
was daily driven until a year ago when i cracked the shits with my company for assuming i can use my car to carry stuff for work purposes. now she sits in the garage as my toy because i finally have a company car for official duties and a old ck lancer coupe for my daily drive to work (got given to me for free by a mate because junkyards here wasnt going to give anything to him as metal price is at an all time low)

in the 5 years, i have spent roughly 5k aus on maintenance on the car excluding fuel, insurance and road tax costs. this includes a timing belt change, 2 sets of tyres(re002 and re003), 2 sets of brake pads, exedy sports tuff clutch, hybrid turbo, full sound system install, bilstein upgrade, etc etc

how i manage that figure, everything diy in my own garage floor (except tyres and wheel alignments) with 4 jack stands and a jack. i just did my own clutch change (not for the faint hearted), made my own hybrid turbo (fused the td05hra with a 10.5 housing), oil changes, pads change..etc

owning an evo on a budget is possible but you definitely have to have some sort of mechanical knowledge and keen to get your hands dirty.

i average about 450kms in city driving and almost 600kms on interstate drives for a full tank of fuel.
if im feeling abit nutty, this number decreases but the worst mileage ive got on the car is 400kms to a tank of city driving.
stock tune, running COP kit, stock exhaust, 8mr blow off valve, high flow panel filter. always run on 98ron fuel.

the grey evo 8 thats for sale has a aftermarket 9 front bar and is a gsr spec.
yellow one kms might not be genuine as the steering has been rewrapped
both are gsr's.
7's came out in 2001, 7.5 or 7gta came out in 2002, 8gsr in 2003. 8mr's in 2004 and evo 9's started in 05 ending in 2007. if u see an evo 7 or 8 with a supposedly build date of 2005 and later, thats rubbish or they have imported a uk spec unit( fq series)

but most importantly as some members have already highlighted above, body must be in top shape or at least in a respectable condition. underbody rust is a common issues for evo's. followed by faulty ayc's (3 lights illuminated on dash cluster)
my opinion is as such because mechanical faults are rectifiable but body repairs.... well... unless you actually witness the repair.... you can never know what has been replaced.
heck the thais up north have been fusing ct9a rears and fronts onto cedia bodies and the transformation pics are amazing. you really need to pull interior trims off and jacking the car up to find the joints.

id recommend a japanese odometer check or a japanese history check, but then again if youre not buying direct from japan through a broker, this would be quite irrelevant. check their facebook pages, very interesting
i did a check on mine, 107000kms shaved off the clock. left japan with 143000kms, arrived australian shores with 36000kms...lol
thankfully it was a grade 4b and not a grade r. also through my history check, i found out it has only had 1 owner in japan, genuine front and rear evo 9 bumpers, upgraded turbo, no accidents.

was it worth it? hell yeah! that sharp handling whilst on boost and knowing you have so much control of the car.
would i do it again if i had to? yep but this time a X gsr in manual!

Last edited:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
currently 5 years and counting on my 8 gsr ownership. granted i am based in sydney but traffic here is fast becoming klang valley style.

i average about 450kms in city driving and almost 600kms on interstate drives for a full tank of fuel.
if im feeling abit nutty, this number decreases but the worst mileage ive got on the car is 400kms to a tank of city driving.

stock tune, running COP kit, stock exhaust, 8mr blow off valve, high flow panel filter. always run on 98ron fuel.
400-450km on a tank in an Evo is mind blowingly good isn't it?

i doubt most people here get 400km at all here

calvin9683

Jul 5, 2004
JB
If u really like it.. Get it..
I've been driving my e7 for more than 4yrs now..
It wasn't a financially wise decision dat time.. But glad I got it.. Thanks to my bunch of JB ZTH buddies for poisoning me & my gf for supporting..
In 2011, I managed to get 70% loan for 7yrs from PBB @ 5.5% p.a..
N the mthly installment was like 40% of my basic..
After 6mths of ownership, I need to take over house installment.. Was hard, but glad that I survived..
Think positively, everyone work their way up.. Which means ur earnings shall increase year by year..

Btw, mine is a daily as I'm in sales.. Bought the car at 50k++ mileage, currently at 170k++... The only thing dat broke down was radiator & AYC pump.. Still pretty much stock till now, kene kutuk during TT..

Consumption wise, town drive 6-7km/lit.. Highway cruising (120kmh) 10-11km/lit..

Notoriez

Mar 27, 2006
Personally seen a 2nd Evo VIII came to my friends workshop for checkup. Owner just bought it @ 80k in 2012. Was wondering why it was so cheap that time. After he performed the check ups, all the bushes are gone case, all 4 absorbers are dead. Paint job is in bad condition but lucky for him it was accident free. Rattling noises can be heard during test drive, engine was in so so condition. Cost to change all the bushes alone is more than 3k. This is quoted without labour fee and other repairs haha.

So good luck to you TS and have fun

mototo

Known Member
Mar 2, 2004
NSW
Visit site

It bloody is! :biggrin:
However, there are some (not all... just "some"...) who seems to think a stock as rock evo is boring as batshit.

was never into chasing numbers. it quite a well engineered package and i think it suits me just nice. the bilsteins kicked the handling up a slight notch whilst retaining the same comfort. Do some track work on weekends, drop the fluids on a sunday night, refill with fresh stuff and off to work the next day in the same car.

... maybe i'm getting old.... :sleep:

darthxvader

May 2, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
It won't be enough. Not to scare you off, but maintenance wise if you want to keep the car in good condition will be at least another 500-1000 a month. What if something happened to the car? I would suggest you to get a house first. Don't regret later, you can always own that evo later. Once you have the money, stable financial and at least ONE property. Then go for it. I keep aside 20k just to restore back a 'good' condition car back to good condition. Remember it is almost 10 years old car. You probably get it in a 'good' condition. But don't forget, wear and tear. Be wise. Be patience.

By the way, to date, I have spent about 10k within 8 months just to make sure the car is back to perfect running condition. It is a daily driven.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

VR get 320km only, probably best is 350km per tank, but most say 6 to 7km/l and with 50liters is about that only. To get 400km and more is very good dy.....:adore:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I own a Evo 7 currently bought it 6 years ago, the money i spend to maintain it almost cost me 30k, not include the regular service.
These car all is more than 10 years above, it is the wear and tear part that cost the most.
It is better you have enough spare money to stand by, because you never know when the parts is fail and cost the car break down.
Now i only drive it 3 times a week, not dare to travel long distance with it.
I heard Evo7 has many flaws when the first CT9A chassis was introduced. However, the 5 speed gearbox rumoured to be the strongest among the CT9A. Anyway thank you for your input. The E7 is one of the sexiest Evo in town, i just love the boxy from bumper.

Hmm for me I see WRXs a lot more often than Evos on the road. You just search in mudah.my now, if you search "Impreza" under Subaru then there'll be 5 pages of advertising all selling real WRXs, over 170 cars now! However if you search "Evo" under Mitsubishi, then you'd only get 3 pages or 85 cars and actually only a handful of those are real Evos and the rest are either converted Lancers, or just other Mitsubishi with Evo accessories/parts, or just totally different cars but somehow with an "Evo" in the name as well like the Triton EVO! :biggrin: That shows how the Evo is much more rare than WRX in Malaysia, probably because the WRX is more civilized/less hardcore like you said. See now your GF already got aches after just a quick test drive of some Evos, do you think she would not complain later if you really go ahead with it? Probably many other guys also face similar situations and hence settled for the WRX rather than have their GFs nagging later! :biggrin:
Just to add on:

Those included the latest version 10 of Impreza, for Mitsubishi its still very rare to see EVO X. Hahaha my GF has tough body and even she can't stand the harshness of EVO. She said it looks nice but does not ride any better than my Lancer. She liked the WRX, only the bonnet scoop annoys her. She asked why Subaru came with bonnet scoop like a horn. LOL. In the end, she is a European junkie, driving BMW E46 coupe herself.

Wow 50k down payment, thats really alot. But to cut the monthly installment, no choice but to pay more down payment. What brand of GPS tracking device you recommend ?

mototo

Known Member
Mar 2, 2004
NSW
Visit site
just be wary with the cp9a's
i see plenty of CK(2wd)/CM(awd) chassis cars converted to e4/5/6 spec in mudah.
find 5 evo4/5/6 and maybe 1 is a genuine cp9a
it is much easier to convert a CK/CM to look like a CP9A because everything is bolt on. cedia to ct9a is much harder as the rear flares are part of the rear quarter panels.

and then there is the extra bracing and welds in a proper evo. Without those, you might as well spend the money and hunt for a 4b11t halfcut, mate the engine to a manual gearbox and sell off the SST to recoup some money. it has been done http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=14352

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi to all gti owners n sifus out there...i would like to ask if u accelerate till 100km/h wat will ur rpm be?

one more thing is for a full tank of petrol how many km can u all go for a stock gti??

thank u
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience