Worth make over my '94 SV4?, Or go for Persona? Need opinion

Dec 27, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hello guys,

I have been driving my SV4 for many years, i like the car very much. But lately it always got heating problem, i changed my radiator twice in one and a half years, it worsen that in a short distance the temp meter shot up to red indicator.... and the mechanic told that gasket "burnt" already, need to do top overhaul or change another engine.

I am thinking to remake the whole car by changing engine (original 2.0 '94 manual model), plus repaint and remake the car seat (leather), perhaps change the tires also. Would it be enough for a budget of 4 to 5k?

In other hand, would it be better to go for a new Persona which is more fuel efficient?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Top overhaul should be 2k or around there maybe a bit more, depending on workshop and amount of work required. I did mine a long time ago but that was because I had a leaky valve, not overheating problem and I also added a few parts in (all bought seperately so not included in the 2k I mentioned). never had a problem since, though I also know a guy who did the top overhaul for a lot less than 2k and the skim job was bad that the problem isn't solved, and he had to buy another engine.

New car is a good option as well, since you can take out a loan. And at least a few years of trouble free use, though new cars also cannot escape normal wear and tear.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

repaint cost vary too much to make good estimate, depending on quality of paint, work quality. I've seen 1-10k being spent on painting car alone. I'm sure you can see where your budget falls short, or not, if you choose the cheaper options.

inspired

Dec 27, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for the information.

I have received a quote for 2.0 liter non-vtec engine at RM1.1k, would the cost of engine transplant cheaper than overhaul in this case? For the budget I had, I will go for basic make over, like only repain exterior with same color, wrap the seats with leather cover and so on.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Yes, in some cases, a transplant is cheaper, but it's a toss up. You might get a very nice engine, or an engine with another set of problems. So always budget more for that. But it'll still be cheaper than a new car, although maybe you'd have some downtime while the car is in the workshop. Common problem with our old honda's tend to be the rubber stuff, and the distributor. But if cost is a factor, it's always cheaper to fix, since our new cars are considerably more expensive compared to other countries.

ahkiang

Known Member
Jan 2, 2007
hi i'm driving the same car like you but mine is auto 2.0 yr 94 too. I had heating problem b4. One time thermostart problem, then radiator, 3rd time due to water pump leaking. But i have settled all, touch wood so far no problem.

I also been thinking to touch up my car or buy another newer used car. But still can't make up my mind yet. Ya i like the car's comfort and handling.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi to all sifus, recently i bought a Nissan Sentra 1.6 yr2001...it's an Auto transmission, is there any ways for me to increase on its pickup and performance? will changing in exhaust system and air filter help to increase the performance n speed? Plz advice...thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience