Why DC5 (from an owner's perspective)?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Erik

Oct 16, 2008
Just going to start something for DC5 lovers aiming to purchase the car (SOON!)
Here I'm going to list down the pros and cons from a non owner, meaning someone longing for a DC5 and on the verge of splashing the moolah on it and requires a gentle push to fall off the cliff..

Pros
- TYPE R itself, and the adrenalin/performances it provides
- The physical part (damn beautiful)

Cons
- Expensive
- 130K can get you a NEW FD2 what! not a 5-6 year car! (other options)
- Maintenance that comes with a 2nd hand/unreg car
- Interior kind of boring huh?
- Might get conned (Type S posing as Type R)
- Resale value (dude tak ada produce lagi kan)
- Lain lain

slick

500 RPM
Mar 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
www.slickworx.com
Just going to start something for DC5 lovers aiming to purchase the car (SOON!)
Here I'm going to list down the pros and cons from a non owner, meaning someone longing for a DC5 and on the verge of splashing the moolah on it and requires a gentle push to fall off the cliff..

Pros
- TYPE R itself, and the adrenalin/performances it provides
- The physical part (damn beautiful)

Cons
- Expensive
- 130K can get you a NEW FD2 what! not a 5-6 year car! (other options)
- Maintenance that comes with a 2nd hand/unreg car
- Interior kind of boring huh?
- Might get conned (Type S posing as Type R)
- Resale value (dude tak ada produce lagi kan)
- Lain lain

Pros
- You get to drive a powerful car with decent fuel consumption.
- You get to hear the VTEC scream whenever you feel like it (talking about the REAL VTEC here, not those found in non Type Rs)

Cons
- Uncomfortable ride (compared to normal FD2, etc)
- Tendency to spend more money than you would like to modify the car (especially if you know some people in some forum that always poison)
- Jiwa kacau feeling when you feel like modifying but trying not to fall into temptation

My 2 cents...

Last edited:

NFS

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Dude ... Brother ...

Even undecided ... I have to be the 1st and foremost ... to congratulate you for your interest in this rare breed

Just pointing out the obvious ... as my boss is currenlty walking to my way ...

You got the Pros on the dot and some of the cons are 50/50 true ...

Comparing with the NEW FD2??!! - try look on the road .. though it has passed 5 years ... it still looks and perform ... better than other normal cars ...

The Price 130K ... Its a Class A Japanese Cars ... if brand new how much would you think it be bro ...

Boring Interior ... i would not put it that way ... it driver focus oriented ...

Kind hard to get conned ... just do some research or bring one of us during your search.

Pros:-

200PS naturally Aspirated ... that is something
lower FC compared to other sports car ... specially those turbo's

Last edited:

lightningfield

2,000 RPM
Dec 29, 2004
Johor Bahru
www.ef-honda.com
I have been using this for 3 months now and this is my personal verdict:

Pros
- Handling is bloody nice...proabably due to the rigid chassis and hardened shocks.
- Power to weight ratio is equal.
- Gear ratios are very optimised for any kind of driving style.
- K20A ivtec is the new thang. Lets move on before a-vtec storm the world.
- Chicks dig this kinda car.
- A 'basic' and fun car with less electronics for you to deal. Pure control is in your hands.
- Maintenance is pretty much the same like other normal cars. No extra oil for your rear differential tho.
- The car will look handsome if you put on a GT-wing.
- The Brembos + ABS will not make you wet your pants during emergency braking.
- Lotssssssssss of stuffs available on the market for the DC5.

Cons
- Handling is quite hard to tune, if you wanna go hardcore.
- K20A is N/A. It aint easy to extract power from N/A. You gotta spend more. Or go K24. More cubic inches = more power.
- Chicks dont dig sitting in a car at 240kmh while you're laughing crazily.
- Dashboard is kinda high. You cant go damn low on your full bucket seats or you will scrape the curb.
- Fuel consumption is quite high if you're on vtec mode all the time (happened to me)
- K20A ivtec is very agressive. but not the sound tho. B-series Type-R barks vtec way louder.
- You wont feel content after owning this car. The urge for mods will always be in your mind every 5 mins. I hate this feeling. really.

hahf

Known Member
Jul 7, 2005
KL
dude, first of all, u must decide u want a 2-door or 4-door car?

pro:
decent fuel consumption, unless vtec all the time :love:
comfortable ride in stock form
racy interior, very much driver oriented
sport package type R spec, tuned by Honda
maintenance consider reasonable for JDM car
have reason not to fetch ppl behind :thefinger:

con:
FL version rear headlamp masuk air :rofl: joking joking
thief addicted
too many poison around to mod car

zk11

Known Member
May 14, 2006
hmm FD2 and DC5R are two different breeds. Do you want comfort or adrenaline kicking machine? You first need to determine what you're looking for before you can decide on type of car.

Now let's say you're looking for a sports car, then you can start talking. you can start comparing with what's available in the market, GTI, EVO, STI, M3, etc etc. Others have prolly listed down all the pros and cons I could think of, but IMHO, DC5R is the cheapest stock car (MSRP, and maintenance) that does the job to get my heart pumping, adrenaline kicking, endorphine spiking.

my 2cents.

Bump: hmm FD2 and DC5R are two different breeds. Do you want comfort or adrenaline kicking machine? You first need to determine what you're looking for before you can decide on type of car.

Now let's say you're looking for a sports car, then you can start talking. you can start comparing with what's available in the market, GTI, EVO, STI, M3, etc etc. Others have prolly listed down all the pros and cons I could think of, but IMHO, DC5R is the cheapest stock car (MSRP, and maintenance) that does the job to get my heart pumping, adrenaline kicking, endorphine spiking.

my 2cents.

prasath_5338

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2005
Every single factor has been covered...

IMO,

1) Dc5's Handling is superb for a FF car...( Thanks Farhan)
2) Good engine performance and tolerable FC

The only downside is that a chick once told me...." I will never get into this car again"....thanks to my suspension...:bawling::bawling:

But who cares....:thefinger: them all....

kimoka

Known Member
Jul 20, 2006
Maintenance seems to be on both pros and cons :P

Just a quick question tho, how much do replacement parts cost, say if u have busted absorbers, seat belts, other belts etc.

thief addicted
While on the subject of thieves, do you guys spend a lot on security products?

slick

500 RPM
Mar 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
www.slickworx.com
Maintenance seems to be on both pros and cons :P

Just a quick question tho, how much do replacement parts cost, say if u have busted absorbers, seat belts, other belts etc.

While on the subject of thieves, do you guys spend a lot on security products?
About other belts, K20A is chain driven, so no timing belts to replace.
About absorbers, there are cheap alternatives, just whether u are willing to use cheapers ones and how much u willing to spend to get a good one.

subcon

1,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2005
Turn 5
kudos to my fellow friends for the detail input.

yes DC5R can be a thief magnet if you display all those flashy and expensive meters. having said that some f*ckers broke into my car and stole my stock recaro!:mad:

DC5 R stock parts are not THAT expensive. for example

stock clutch + cover is around RM 1200 -RM1300
clutch bearing RM150 - RM180
stock brake pad RM 160 to RM 180.

its quite expensive compared to normal car but definitely cheaper when we compared with other Japanese performance car. i.e evo, impreza, etc.

Bump:
Every single factor has been covered...

IMO,

1) Dc5's Handling is superb for a FF car...( Thanks Farhan)
you shouldn't thanked me. :biggrin:

you should convey your gratitude to those brilliant Japanese engineer!

Erik

Oct 16, 2008
Yes yes, kudos for all the feedback/advice.
Anyway I expected no less from the the peeps here at the only DC5 forum in M'sia. Been a follower and this forum cannot be any more informative (some say 'influencing') than it already is.

I'll summarise yeah;

1. Interesting part is the rare breed, but of course the fascination is more on the sleek/one of a kind/sporty/everlasting silhouette. I'll love being in one, my friends will love to join me being in one, my chick will love me more and my family will sometimes be proud of me because being in a teggy means you've made it!

2. VTEC kicking in is equivalent to orgasm. Enough said about the performance.

3. Handling = class A car, Enough said also.

4. General perception is where people will ask 'Why didn't you get a brand new Civic dumb ass?' or 'Add another few K can get an Accord even' or 'Add another few more K can get GTI/350Z/Evo bla bla bla'. SO up yours General Perception. I dig it and I can afford it, so go kiss my stock exhaust (when I get it)!

5. Driver and sporty type concept interior, yeh baby.

6. Ability to mod until it can fly though have to be prudent.

No doubt it's all about love, and when love arrives, there's no stopping of it.
I appreciate all for taking the time to elaborate, more will be fun!
Expect another black DC5 to be taken off the lucky dealer soon, very soon.
More expertise required from the experts then and before.... :adore:

subcon

1,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2005
Turn 5
Anyway I expected no less from the the peeps here at the only DC5 forum in M'sia. Been a follower and this forum cannot be any more informative (some say 'influencing') than it already is.

I'll summarise yeah;

1. Interesting part is the rare breed, but of course the fascination is more on the sleek/one of a kind/sporty/everlasting silhouette. I'll love being in one, my friends will love to join me being in one, my chick will love me more and my family will sometimes be proud of me because being in a teggy means you've made it!

4. General perception is where people will ask 'Why didn't you get a brand new Civic dumb ass?' or 'Add another few K can get an Accord even' or 'Add another few more K can get GTI/350Z/Evo bla bla bla'. SO up yours General Perception. I dig it and I can afford it, so go kiss my stock exhaust (when I get it)!

i've said it before and i say it again!

DC5 R + 8500 rpm = BETTER THAN SEX!

slick

500 RPM
Mar 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
www.slickworx.com

I'll summarise yeah;

Happy to hear your interest and enthusiasm dude!
Btw, u can start joining us even before u get the car, who knows, it might somewhat speed up your process into getting your very own DC5R sooner :nurse:

NFS

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
wow slick ... u are one hell of a :nurse: man ....

ekekkeke

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
Folks,
Finally a DC5 forum in Malaysia. Now other people can learn about this fantastic car.:biggrin:
I dont own a DC5 however I can related to owner of DC5 cos when I told my non car ppl I bought unregister altezza last year. why never buy Camry is 2.0 e is the same price. yeah whatever....DC5 is a unique car on the road. There are not many around so there is a sense of individualistic.
FD2 is good for familiy car and stops there..... If you like sports cars then you will not be satisfied with FD2. You will always wish for more power. DC5 has stop production which is sad but it will become a classic in the near future.

slick

500 RPM
Mar 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
www.slickworx.com
Folks,
Finally a DC5 forum in Malaysia. Now other people can learn about this fantastic car.:biggrin:
I dont own a DC5 however I can related to owner of DC5 cos when I told my non car ppl I bought unregister altezza last year. why never buy Camry is 2.0 e is the same price. yeah whatever....DC5 is a unique car on the road. There are not many around so there is a sense of individualistic.
FD2 is good for familiy car and stops there..... If you like sports cars then you will not be satisfied with FD2. You will always wish for more power. DC5 has stop production which is sad but it will become a classic in the near future.
Agreed.
I guess all car junkies like ourselves think alike!
Thanks for popping in and sharing your thoughts!

Btw, what model altezza u bought?

rajamacho

Known Member
Mar 31, 2008
i luv the dc5 becoz....bcoz...bcoz...i like ..i like...its momo steering...that s all..thank u..:thefinger:

Bump: i luv the dc5 becoz....bcoz...bcoz...i like ..i like...its momo steering...that s all..thank u..:thefinger: