Which 1.6L used car to go?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Ya... budget is my main concern.
BTW, If I go to SEG with maybe 4AGE inside, is the engine internal spare part still available? easy to get?
Please advise... Thx
4A-GE is not that old, parts should be widely available. If you are looking for 4A-GE, I suggest you get 4A-GE 20 Valve Blacktop.

We have a few 4A-GE sifus over here like D7zul. Can ask him for more info.

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
Ya... budget is my main concern.
BTW, If I go to SEG with maybe 4AGE inside, is the engine internal spare part still available? easy to get?
Please advise... Thx
4age is not old...its already considered ancient by japanese standard...last production roll out the factory last 10 years ago give or take...and this is the era when toyota still make a reliable no fuss power unit...the same era where 1j and 2j are made,and we all know those engines are built like tanks...but sadly to this day there is still no direct replacement (unlike honda replacing B-series with K-series engine) since toyota policy already shift toward making a more environment friendly engine...

4age still have somewhat of a cult status following all over the world today...parts are still being developed, made and readily available...you still can see this engine almost in every engine swap imaginable from ff,fr,mr to kit cars...and still giving competitors a run for their money in races...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Was surprised too. Even the limited edition Neo R3 Clubsport is RM35K I think it can fetch better price than the R3 Lotus...maybe is true or is just a hoax. Clubsport urgent sale though but already about 6 years 1/2 month car
If cheap then R3 can be considered, fits TS priorities.....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
But just a note - 4AGE in a SEG is a bit of a tight fit. It's PNP but makes DIYs and accessing parts of your engine quite tight.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
But just a note - 4AGE in a SEG is a bit of a tight fit. It's PNP but makes DIYs and accessing parts of your engine quite tight.
I thought they fit in nicely since 4A-GE and their original 4A-FE is almost the same size. Or is it even the 4A-FE is tightly fitted?

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
tight fit yes...but i dont think there to much differences...engine mount practically the same although not interchangeable between 4afe and 4age (only apply to 1.6 chassis...1.3 need to mod a bit)

some JDM corolla model come factory equipped with 4age...come to think of it manufacturer wont meddle around with chassis to much...they prep the chassis to be equipped with different type of engine setup...

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Only difference ae111 trueno/levin has bigger upfront space of radiator fan due to front nose(bumper+grill+headlamp) design. The rest are same.

Some even mod ae111 levin bzr nosecut into ae101 body :biggrin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Guys,

Plan to bring in an used car for my mid range distance travel.
Due to budget concern,
yrs 1993 7th gen Toyota 1.6L SEG (M) and 5th gen Honda Civic 1.6L EFI (M) are short listed in my plan.

Need opinion here:

- Which car have

1) Cheaper maintenance cost
2) Handling
3) Better fuel consumption
4) After market performance parts
5) Better Chassis quality
6) Accessories support such power window, central locking etc.

Please advise... Thx :driver:
R3 Satria Neo. And i mean the real R3 Satria Neo and not the one with r3 bodykit as cosmetics only.

145hp and 168nm of torque..for a 1.6L what's more can we ask for :smile:

If not then SEG with Blacktop 4AGE.
I agree with Supra_Fanatics. Especially that RM35k Satria Neo Clubsport! Its literally all bells and whistles already in. Those Toyota SEGs are too old la. Ever head of metal fatigue? Halfway round a corner the car patah in 2 not funny lor. Those old AE86 you see on track in Japan are already reinforced, probably spot welded.

1. Cheap maintenance cost. Its a Proton, plenty of parts, it is a N/A Campro, straightforward engine.
2. Track ready Lotus tuned, what do you think?
3. Its a N/A with Haltech interceptor. You don't floor the pedal you will get decent FC. Its a manual so no loss of fuel economy from torque converter.
4. After market performance parts? Already installed.
5. Its chassis is newer than the cars you shortlisted. It has a semi-permanent rollcage included. As they say.. apa lagi u mau?
6. Not sure if the power window and central locking still there, but can be easily installed back.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
tight fit yes...but i dont think there to much differences...engine mount practically the same although not interchangeable between 4afe and 4age (only apply to 1.6 chassis...1.3 need to mod a bit)

some JDM corolla model come factory equipped with 4age...come to think of it manufacturer wont meddle around with chassis to much...they prep the chassis to be equipped with different type of engine setup...
Those are called Corolla Ceres or Sprinter Marino if I am not mistaken. Comes with frameless doors. Looks nice and sporty but difficult to find those here.

Only difference ae111 trueno/levin has bigger upfront space of radiator fan due to front nose(bumper+grill+headlamp) design. The rest are same.

Some even mod ae111 levin bzr nosecut into ae101 body :biggrin:
Haha, I've seen those nosecut conversion before. Looks good. AE101 Trueno/Levin can do it too right? This is the one I saw before.

Attachments

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
These several days are busy to survey the car. However, I did notice a 97' proton putra with milage at 65k km only..
is rare and hard to find a 100% stock for Putra... :)

john_unai

Known Member
Aug 9, 2011
mtkb
how about honda accord sv4 with h22a engine from d same era with corolla seg 1.6?
price is almost same but with bigger engine cc, part reliability i dunno la but dis car cheap leh. oth than that i dunno.. dis car no good ar? :hmmmm2::questionmark:

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
how about honda accord sv4 with h22a engine from d same era with corolla seg 1.6?
price is almost same but with bigger engine cc, part reliability i dunno la but dis car cheap leh. oth than that i dunno.. dis car no good ar? :hmmmm2::questionmark:
SV4 is a good car, but parts are very hard to come by. H22A is a good engine too, but prepare loads of cash to repair it when it breaks, it's not a cheap engine to maintain mainly because of its age!

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
SV4 is heavier than Civic and Corolla. Might not be as agile than the both of them. Stability at high speed might be better though. Roadtax also more expensive for 2.2 litre...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

haiya.. donno what to do la.. pening already.. this one damn cement lorry drove next to my car n got cement splattered all over my car's body (sebelah kanan aje).. initially i didnt notice it until it dried n cant be removed..

any tips on how to remove it? takut nak kikis dgn pisau oo takut the color of the car bercalar.. please help me.. im prefering DIY.. dont want to send to the grooming shops.. thanks! :P
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience