What you do for your car with RM100?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
can phssssss, but must do it at places with many ppl for maximum effect....:biggrin:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
free the gear (neutral) when going downhill......
Can save a few ringgit maybe?? Anyone done that before?

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Putting into neutral gear while going downhill in fact burns more fuel. I don't know how to explain but here an explanation from a good source :

Coasting in Neutral Does Not Save Gas: Claim Check

Coasting downhill in neutral consumes less fuel than in gear, right? Wrong. Coasting in neutral is dangerous and it burns up more fuel. Here's why.
By Mike Allen

I get mail. I've said, on the record, many times, that it's a bad idea to coast downhill or up to a stop sign in neutral. It's unsafe. You need to be able to use the accelerator to avoid an unexpected road hazard; cars don't handle well in neutral during sharp cornering maneuvers when the engine isn't connected to the drivetrain.

So why on earth would you put the transmission in neutral—whether on manual or automatic—when coasting? Apparently there are a lot of people out there who think they are saving gas by doing so. They're wrong.

Here's the argument I get: "The engine is idling while coasting, so no less gas is used with the transmission engaged and the accelerator let up."

When coasting in neutral, the engine is idling, consuming just as much gasoline as when it's idling at a traffic light or warming up in your driveway, roughly gallons per hour (gph), depending on your vehicle. Some small cars with roller cams may do slightly better, but a rule of thumb for idling fuel consumption is 1 gph . Let's use 1 gph as a starting point, just to make the math simpler.

Suppose you are coasting down a mile-long hill at an average speed of 30 mph, which will take close to 2 minutes. During this period, you'll consume approximately 0.033 gallons of gasoline, for a consumption of 30 mpg.

I've replicated these conditions with instrumented cars, both with scan tools and with an oscilloscope, measuring the leads leading into the fuel injectors. The signal controlling the injector is a 12-volt square wave. It's pulse-width-modulated, varying from 5 percent or so at idle to around 80 percent or so at full throttle. The higher the percentage of on time to off time, the more fuel. There's one on pulse for every cylinder firing, so the consumption also varies with engine speed (rpm). All vehicles show a short pulse width at idle, regardless of whether they're sitting in traffic at a red light or coasting downhill—at idle—in neutral. (Actually, they use a fraction more fuel sitting in drive at a traffic light, because of the drag in the torque converter, but I digress).

Almost all vehicles show a pulse width of zero when coasting while in gear. Zero, as in there is no fuel injected at all. Yes, the engine is turning over, the pistons are going up and down, the water pump, alternator and a/c compressor are working, so technically you can say the engine is running, sort of. But it's not consuming any fuel. And that goes for automatic or manuals.

Okay, eventually, at the bottom of the hill or as you creep up to the traffic light, the engine finally will slow to idle rpm—at which point the fuel injection will wake up and start adding fuel to keep the engine from stalling. That usually starts at around 1000 rpm, and if you pay attention, you can sense when it's happening as the engine will rev up slightly. And that's when the scan tool or oscilloscope will show injector dwell rise from 0 to 5 to 10 percent. So you're actually wasting gas by putting your car into neutral.

I hear this argument as well: My car-mileage-information computer goes wild with increased mileage while coasting.

The algorithm the trip computer uses is not based on how much fuel is actually consumed, but on some calculated value based on airflow past the mass airflow sensor, manifold vacuum and engine rpm. And it's not accurate under these coasting conditions. That's why when we report fuel economy here at PM, we never just print the numbers we read off the trip computer's display: We use the gallons pumped into the tank divided by the mileage on the odometer—which we check against a handheld GPS.

I use a Scangauge II for a lot of diagnostics and general tinkering. It's a great tool—but I've learned not to trust the economy or gallons-used function too closely. That's why the Scangauge has a function that allows you to tell it what the engine-idle cutoff is for your particular car to get somewhere closer to the truth.

Bottom line: Don't coast in neutral. It's dangerous and won't save fuel. Turning off the key at traffic lights might.

Source article from http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a5977/coasting-in-neutral-fuel-economy/

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Going downhill in neutral also dangerous. No engine control, no engine braking. If steep hill, burn brakes some more.....hhahhahahhaa:rofl:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Speaking of being dangerous, there are other more dangerous things to do while driving.......

Playing handphone, or surfing tablet while driving.

Putting baby on the lap while driving...

Putting doggy on the lap while driving...

Putting on make-up while driving...

Malaysian so geng

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Speaking of being dangerous, there are other more dangerous things to do while driving.......

Playing handphone, or surfing tablet while driving.

Putting baby on the lap while driving...

Putting doggy on the lap while driving...

Putting on make-up while driving...

Malaysian so geng
That can become new topic as the reasons can be endless.....hhahahhahaha:rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

You read the title right. It's not a new clothing line, or a new fragrance or a new album. Hotel heiress, media princess, socialite, spotlight queen, and stoner, Paris Hilton now has her very own 125 Grand Prix race team next season.

In collaboration with the existing BQR team, the new SuperMartxe VIP by Paris Hilton team will field three-time 125 race winner, Sergio Gadea and rookie Maverick Vinales. The...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience