What kind of adjustable cam pulley ?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

D_clothes

500 RPM
Just neeed to know what kind of adjustable cam pulley is sufficient to tune a type-R cam ? What is a reliable cam pulley ?

Can some one help me on this ?

cam pulley is the things mounted on the ends of the camshaft.. reliability wise, I don't know what you mean, but the usual thinking is that more bolts = better grip, and less chances of the adj. cam pulley settings slipping.

That's why toda has four bolts, AEM has five, and S2 has (six, I think.. I forget).
And why arospeed 3 bolt campulleys considered low on the reliability scale..

Another is the machining of the teeth and pulley (roundness, teeth-gap, etc).. that one, I cannot distinguish visually, but just adding it here anyway.

The cam-pulley is used to compensate for the crank keyway's looseness due to wear, since the TDC mark on the crank doesn't actually mean the piston is at TDC, so they degree the cams and adj. the pulleys to get the cam timing exactly right.

thanks thats something new to me ... then i know what to look for when buying a campulley .

another question i have in mind but is not related to campulley . i dont know whether you are able to help or not . Recently i found out my car is making some weird "glong glong glong " noise from the front as if the whole wheel / chassis liek going to break when going up multistorey car park ...
but on straight road is okay ( may b the noise is minimum ) even when i turn not much sound .... but it always sound very loud when going multistorey car park or when i go over uneven roads .... issit something to do withthe absorber or something related to the car body or engine chassis ?

theres another way (not cheap) to secure your pulley, is to get ARP bolts and nuts and replace the current one so it doesnt slip. The latter american branded pulleys have combined ARP for long term usage.

Top Bottom