Volks engine died - consider Subaru engine swap?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

krazz77

Known Member
Hi,

few weeks back i posted online with some problems with my twin carbs.. well, i went to chip meng to replace the twin carbs and replace the carbs with my original solex carbs. While doing that, asked chip meng to solve my overheating problems. He suspected my engine's in trouble and suggested taking it down to investigate. Investigations showed that the shaft bearings had jammed due to overheating and the engine case had to be reworked. Total damage plus gearbox change (slipping 2nd gear) would amount to more than RM5k !!! .. Geeze .. and my car cost only RM6k ..

So now i have a few options
1) let chip meng do it and have a almost perfect engine plus gearbox - RM5k
2) source for a 2nd hand engine plus gearbox from potong shop and drop in - RM2k +++ (labour etc)
3) change to a subaru engine ( EA81 or EA82 or even EJ18 1.8litres carb versions are available at only RM800 - engine kosong, plus labour and work maybe 1.5k, total may be less than RM3k, problem is finding a mechanic who could do it. )

have a feeling of going for option 3 but dunno whether JPJ will pass or not., or how extensive the work involved will be. Have anyone done a subaru swap before? Any other suggestions on what to do?

hi krazz 77...
my frend have using the choice of no 3....hehe
u must tebuk ur front apron to install the radiator...very panjang water hose...from back to front...my fellas doing ej18 engine...
very fast loh....
when we all going gath or tt...his facing a problem that temperature increase...then he cannot talk bout our performance n modification..
for me no. 2 is ok...if u tak sayang body go to no 3 lar..
that is my opinion..hehe

hi vwmania,

with ej18, should be watercooled right? still will have problem with temperature meh? I thought watercooled is going to be more suitable for temperate malaysia. ??? Hhehehe .. looks like subaru conversion also headache. For me, body work okie lah .. superbeetle have a spare wheel space that i could utilise for the radiator .. heheh

saw from your cardomain that you did your own engine work. very nice work done. also heard you used to work in vw shop? Any lobangs for engine? Hehehheh ......

yup...13b, but headache to fine the adapter for gearbox...but its a radikal modify..
i heard 3 gearbox dah pecah..1.6 g/b..now he using irs gearbox...huhu..refer to majalah dragster...do now how month but that got that monstar...

krazz....now engine come from chop shop very mahal lor...the cheapest is about rm 1800..1600cc...
but checked first...the good engine is code AS,AF,AJ which im using now is AF.. 46HP
AB is 1300 but the piston is same saiz as 1600 but the stroke is shorter...AB is from superbeetle 1303 or 1302...
slow2 ma to find the engine...maybe u can kawtim with chopshop owner to bring nice airkewl engine..

hi guys,

is there any brand new engine for VW beetle?
my dad own a 1200cc beetle, but gasket leaking
oil. how much does a new engine cost?
as i know maximum capacity is 2.2L?

the vw is installed with aircond... will that
cause overheating problem for the 1.2L vw?

krazz77 said:
So now i have a few options
1) let chip meng do it and have a almost perfect engine plus gearbox - RM5k
2) source for a 2nd hand engine plus gearbox from potong shop and drop in - RM2k +++ (labour etc)
3) change to a subaru engine ( EA81 or EA82 or even EJ18 1.8litres carb versions are available at only RM800 - engine kosong, plus labour and work maybe 1.5k, total may be less than RM3k, problem is finding a mechanic who could do it. )

have a feeling of going for option 3 but dunno whether JPJ will pass or not., or how extensive the work involved will be. Have anyone done a subaru swap before? Any other suggestions on what to do?

wow..
option no 3 is really wild! but don't la kill the idea just yet..
how about getting better solutions fer the problems that may come instead?

the rad placement problem - long rubber waterlines doesn't sound like a good idea, but how about using 2 small, long steel tubing like those on exhaust systems? they can be ran underneath the car or under the transmission tunnel, which will be very reliable than any waterhose? use rubber hose only on every end?

like krazz77 sez, the elimination of the spare tire well can be used fer radiator placement instead. use the small yellow spare tire la if afterwards. they're lighter wat?
IMO getting enough cool air to the rad will eliminate the rising temp problem.

vwmania ur fren put the rad directly under the hood ka? got any pics?

whatever it is, sounds like a good car in the making man. thumbs up!

artnet said:
hi guys,

is there any brand new engine for VW beetle?
my dad own a 1200cc beetle, but gasket leaking
oil. how much does a new engine cost?
as i know maximum capacity is 2.2L?

the vw is installed with aircond... will that
cause overheating problem for the 1.2L vw?
so far never found new engine...if u import sendiri boleh kot...
kedai potong ada lor...find it...
cost bout 2k to 2.5 k...
2.2l got...but lots of part u have to change it....

wouuu no 3..sound nice and after this you can do a side way already ....can put LSD in the VW gearbox ?...

hi guys,

looked around chop shops and was quoted 2.3k for a japanese 1.6l engine with IRS gearbox. But the shop does not gurantee good (does not make sense for them to gurantee also)
option 3 not likely anymore cos i think will have major problems with JPJ puspakom. mechanic informed me to put in subaru, some bodywork needs to be done at the opening, and with the rad in front, JPJ most likely will not pass. vwmania, your fren managed to get JPJ approved? But if there's someone willing to donate a track car.. it will be fun to drop in a subaru or rotary 13b! hehehh
so bo pian .. have to take option1 loh. try to negotiate a better deal loh. whish me luck! keep you guys updated?

HKS .. you like golfs? This week motortarder got one golf gti (i think mark II leh judging from the 4 headlamps) going for oni RM2.8k. damn tempting .. hehheh

Danny

guys ....

finally decided on option 1 after extensive discussions with mechanic and volks frens. Managed to save some money by using 2nd hand parts. Work from chip meng is highly recommended by most of the vw kakis. Hope for the best though .. sigh .. looks like gonna burn hole in my pocket liao.

So to fund my engine rebuilt, I have to sell VW/Porsche items that I have accumalated. Let me know if anyone interested. Pictures will only be available next week as i'm in KL now.

1. VW new beetle rims only, no tyres (16" in good condition) - RM600
2. Porsche Fuchs rims only, no tyres ( rare 6x15" deep fuches from Porsche 911 , will need polishing to shine) - RM4500 and above.
These fuchs are my prized possession, went to great lengths to obtain, very unwilling to sell but.. (sigh..)
3. Porsche 944 1986 meters, yellow wordings. Speedo plug and play into beetles, rpm and fuel will need some mods. Good for custom dashboard rebuild. Selling cheap at RM500 only
4. Twin weber carbs 34ICT. Full hardware provided to fit. *Note : These webers will need to be rebuilt to use. Failure to do so will harm engine. I do not gurantee it's usage. Get only if you are confident to rebuild. Low low price of RM500 or offer.

Regards,
Danny

krazz77 said:
HKS .. you like golfs? This week motortarder got one golf gti (i think mark II leh judging from the 4 headlamps) going for oni RM2.8k. damn tempting .. hehheh

Danny

i already own one MK2 wor..:regular_smile:
enuff trouble restoring it adi.

my dad will always have aircooleds, ever since i was small.
the option 3 wan make me wanna do it oso lah..:baring_teeth:

vwmania said:
so far never found new engine...if u import sendiri boleh kot...
kedai potong ada lor...find it...
cost bout 2k to 2.5 k...
2.2l got...but lots of part u have to change it....

any idea how much is the new engine cost? duty?
anyone ever order from US?

sarawak kedai potong has no VW. mostly JDM cars..
hard to see continetal cars.

:Not_Impressed: my dad VW everything change, repaint.. just tht
the stupid engine keep overhating until it leaks oil.
it's been with us for more than 10 years. but most of the
time it just sleeping. so sayang see it left untouch there.

dude..try to overhaul that engine, replace the wear and tear part..some more you can check the source of overheating..maybe the fan got prob (like mine years ago) or maybe your carb setting is just to lean..for the leak prob try check the lubricant drain cap, maybe damage or something..also check the pushrod part (i dunno what the name..hehehe) maybe there's a leak too..

but most important thing is, take ur bug out for a walk..err..i mean drive it lah, pusing pusing town every evening..no need to rush one..just to make sure everything just fine..

my 2cent..somewhere wrong, pls correct it..still learning though..

VWmania,

Any way to get some pic of ur fren's converted beetle ? Any effect to cooling down the enjin if the piping is so FAR from the front? need pump ?

Danny,

It's really a hurt to restore the enjin...5k man....
y dont try to ship in a beetle from japan ? maybe 6-8k you can get it, some more got alot of bonus parts u can get from the car...my 2 sen

BR
Ben

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom