Transfer of Car Ownership Process... need advice...

rakuen

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone has any advice on transfering the ownership of a car. I want to change the names on the grant from a mother to her daughter. Some people tell me I can go to JPJ and do it myself for only RM70 or so and it will take one whole day...

Other people tell me it's going to cost me RM170 or so and will take up to 2 weeks.

So now I'm confused, how long exactly does it take? and how much does it cost to transfer the ownership if I go to JPJ with the owner?

I can get a runner to do it for me for roughly RM300, but I'm not sure if that's worth it...

Can someone who's been through this before help me out?

Also, if the car is registered in KL (WJG **** no plate), can I go to the selangor branch of JPJ (Padang Jawa) to do this?

Thanks for viewing my thread...

Cheers,

rakuen

Slingshot

Known Member
Dec 30, 2004
shah alam
From my own experience:
1. Must go to JPJ KL if you plate no. is registered in KL (JPJ Wangsa Maju).
2. Buy RM 100 of Wang Pos from the post office. (Not sure is it RM 100 or
leser or more, but should not be a problem. There's a Post office at JPJ
Wangsa Maju).
3. Both Parties (mother and daughter) must be at present.
4. Bring all the documents (Car registration card, insurance cover note,
anything that's related to the car).
5. Photocopy of both parties.
6. Go to counter No.1, level 2 (for private owners) and ask for related form.
7. Complete filling the form, and get back to Counter No. 1, and ask for
Number.
8. Wait for processing.

Procssing would take aroung 3 hours only. Make sure that u come before 9 a.m. to get it settle before noon. Or not, u have to wait until 2 p.m.

rakuen

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
cool, thanks for the detailed advice dude... someone should post this up... would save a lot of people a couple of hundred bucks if they have the time :)

moat

Mar 10, 2006
>>1. Must go to JPJ KL if you plate no. is registered in KL (JPJ Wangsa Maju).

no lah, my car registration is perak, change at padang jawa

>>2. Buy RM 100 of Wang Pos from the post office. (Not sure is it RM 100 or leser or more, but should not be a problem. There's a Post office at JPJ Wangsa Maju).

i pay cash at the counter

>>4. Bring all the documents (Car registration card, insurance cover note, anything that's related to the car).

meaning daughter need to buy new insurance, but iinm if the current insurance cover all then maybe can transfer the coverage

>>6. Go to counter No.1, level 2 (for private owners) and ask for related form.

iinm got guide at jpj website, maybe can d/load n print also

>>8. Wait for processing. Procssing would take aroung 3 hours only. Make sure that u come before 9 a.m. to get it settle before noon. Or not, u have to wait until 2 p.m

last time i do abt 30mins only (the actual process of transfering name), but wait for my turn is quite long lar

at one time use runner, the fee only 100rm (not inclusive of the transfer fee)

Jess Khoo

From Facebook
Feb 27, 2011
www.facebook.com
I am in Penang, selling my car to a buyer in KL. Buyer wants to register the car in KL. Buyer cannot come to Penang, arranging for someone to drive the car down to KL for him.

I've obtained the list of forms and documents that I must bring to JPJ from their website.

Question: as the buyer will not be personally present when I go to JPJ Penang, how do we do the ownership transfer so that the buyer is fully responsible for the car once I hand it over? (eg I would like to avoid being responsible for any speeding tickets incurred while the car is being driven down to KL)

Thank you for your advice!

G Khoo

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
My car for two years, can I change the license plate? What are the procedures? If my car want to change the name is kind of procedure?

Thank you !
You cant change number plate unless is your car change owner name and then you will have to pay about RM2K to buy a new number plate from Motorcycle Shops. They offer such services.

Not sure how is the procedure but can be done.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Celebrating 125 years of the brand, these guys in Germany had a Motorcade of cars, including the earliest Mercedes ever, the Mercedes Simplex. Featuring other cars such as the Mercedes 300SL, SSK, the SLS AMG E-cell and so on. One of the best lineage of cars ever produced are featured in the streets in Europe, check out the video.

YouTube -...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience