Timing up and down while driving..

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
Mar 12, 2006
Hondarianzz..

Im using a Civic EJ 96.. While driving, i can feel like the timing is like up and down, kind of timing lari laa.... Any idea whts happening and the solution plz..

Thanx....

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
idling irregularly?

a) IACV mampos'ed
b) air leak, from any vaccuum hoses coming out of the manifold.

other possibilities, depending on what you meant by 'irregular timing' and when it happens.
c) distributor timing out?
d) ecu?
e) plug is fouling? running on 3 cyclinders?

Last edited:

EK4SiR

Known Member
Jul 12, 2006
What's the IACV?

*Mine also face the same probs, more feel the irregularities when play around with brake pedal when idling.

Is this related with vacuum hose?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
What's the IACV?

*Mine also face the same probs, more feel the irregularities when play around with brake pedal when idling.

Is this related with vacuum hose?
It's an Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) It's the black cyclinder thing you see behind the intake manifold, on the driver side. What it does is control your idle depending on engine load.. however, when you have an air leak (of any sort) the idle will start to vary as the IACV copes with the sudden loss of vaccuum pressure, and compensates, then realises it compensated too much, and lets off too much, and the cycle repeats.

Your brake runs on vaccuum pressure as well, note the black pipe from your brake servo, and notice where it goes. Obviously playing with the brake pedal will result in irregularities, but in most cases, it's a slight rev drop that's not really apparent unless you're looking for it, since it does run with the aid of a vaccuum source as well. That's why with a dead engine, brakes really don't work very well.

A lot of other things run on vaccum as well, and the intake can be said to be the main source of vaccuum. Any of the hoses coming out of this 'source' will result in idle looping, depending on amount, the severity may differ.

But overall, if you have significant rev drop when you use the brakes up to the point that even when you depress it when you're in a complete stop, the engine dies, then it is cause for concern to check if the IACV is doing it's job, or if it's working fine, or pinpoint other source of leaks.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

A lot of speculation surrounded the new SL recently, so much so that I refused to write about it till something was confirmed. Didn’t want to portray ourselves as automotive paparazzi. So here is something that has been confirmed: Mercedes has made the SL uglier and slower, though power outputs are standard Benz ratings, that means insanely high torque outputs and modest horsepower, well, by today’s...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience