Timing Belt

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

littled

Known Member
Nov 18, 2004
Hi sifus out there
when is it time to change the timing belt?
should i stick to ori or get something like hks or greddy?
Driving a 1.6 A waja n clocked close to 60k km... thanks for all the suggestions :)

GSR5559

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
www.zerotohundred.com
it is better to stick back to original .. btw 60k km is the right time to replace it..sumtimes timing belt lifespan might be shorter depending the way of driving and frequent usage...another thing is, sumtimes u might not know if ther is sum oil leak in the engine dat will make ur timing belt wet, dat is dangerous cus once the timing belt is wet, it will go dry and crispy and it is easier to snap..so it is better to have it check evry time u service ur car..jus ask ur mech to check it oni wont cost u a penny..jus to be double safe..i learnt my lesson lastime..din change timing belt and din check den timing belt snap and all my 14 valves gone..spent more than i have to if i change my timing belt on time..btw sumtimes aftermarket products will snap even they dun reach the expected mileage..and i think it is not necessary for a street car using branded timing belt unless u got lots of money lying around..ehehe

kher

1,500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
Klang, Selangor
Visit site
dun juz rely on how many km la...

the best way is to check the condition of the timing belt from time to time... ur mechanic should whether to change or not after looking at the condition of it unless he's a noob.... ;)

gibod_78

1,500 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
normal is 60,000.. but why npt check every time service?.. like GSR5559 said.. we never know got leaking in there.. happens to me but very lucky .. spot it in advance.. or else..

GSR5559

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
www.zerotohundred.com
yeah check it every time wen doin car servicing..better to be safe than sorry..like my gf's car, stock wira, wen i encountered timing belt snap, i got paranoid so i took my gf's car and go for timing belt check up and found out that there is oil leak and kena the timing belt, so change timing belt and do the leaking part..lucky found out earlier or else...
and btw the timing belt mileage is not even time to change yet, i think around 30k km oni..so ...i guess u know wht to do ..

gibod : good for u man, spotted earlier on b4 anythin worse culd happen.as for me, my mech told me to check my timing belt first, me stubborn said no money to change , den after 1 week of driving, snap while i was driving kinda fast , so 14 vavles gone..at first if i change earlier, i wuld have spent 3 figures amount but after being so stubborn i gota spend 4 figures amount..big difference man...sigh!!!

gibod_78

1,500 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by GSR5559@Jan 19 2005, 15:39
gibod : good for u man, spotted earlier on b4 anythin worse culd happen.as for me, my mech told me to check my timing belt first, me stubborn said no money to change , den after 1 week of driving, snap while i was driving kinda fast , so 14 vavles gone..at first if i change earlier, i wuld have spent 3 figures amount but after being so stubborn i gota spend 4 figures amount..big difference man...sigh!!!
for my case.. i got leaking edi.. lots of it.. so i dont want to hentam my car.. just drive easily for some time..

then i go to fix the leaking problem.. then onli realise the oil already effects my timing belt... so lucky.. if u hentam.. then snap one lor..

GSR5559

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
www.zerotohundred.com
yeah gibod, cus once hentam, timing belt oso turning damn fast, wen the timing belt is wet, it will be easily snap once it is dry cus crispy already..and good thing man..at least u save few hundreds from ther man..sigh..my bad, neva realise den still go hentam here and ther den at last leart a lesson by paying thousand bucks

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
Originally posted by kher@Jan 19 2005, 12:47
dun juz rely on how many km la...

the best way is to check the condition of the timing belt from time to time... ur mechanic should whether to change or not after looking at the condition of it unless he's a noob.... ;)
yeap yeap...... :) thats true...somtime, u dunno how heat is ur ngine bay.....& b4 u run for 60k or 80k, ur timing belt oredi crack liao......
so, better check it very often........

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
The most you can go is 100,000km. I dont know about west malaysia, but since we dont really drive hard and fast here in east, we only change every 100,000km. For pre-caution, always write a note near your engine oil-change sticker for the next timing belt change, or use liquid paper to write the next change at the cam pulley cover, so that if you send your car to a different mechanic, at least they are noticeable.

drive_only

Jan 26, 2005
Visit site
it also depends on the car you drive.. different manufacturers have different service periods. european cars today have especially long service intervals. 20,000km oil change is the norm.

i change my oil every 5000.

but as the other guys said, check it every chance you get, and change it slightly earlier. check your waja manual and see if there is a service period mentioned for timing belt?

proton also have 2 different types for sale.. a 60,000km and 100,000 km belt.. i wouldnt know if the 100,000 belt is better quality as they look they same.

dont bother with racing timing belts, you probably wont see any benefits, and may last the same in the long run.

goslow

Known Member
Jun 21, 2004
russia
then what's the use of the power timing belt sold at places like n1?stronger or blue in colour??damn expensive

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Sorry if this is a repeat topic.

Anyone here knows how to DIY smoked headlights? Is there a special type of paint we can use to darkened our headlights?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience