Successful Innovate LM1-Power FC Interface Via Datalogit

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Hi all,

I have managed to succesfully interface all three items together to datalog a/f in actual RPM vs Boost. This makes it much easier compared to hooking up A/F at tailpipe and guessing.

Even after tuning, the idle afr's are very rich as indicated with wideband. I would recommend this set up to those wanting to fine tune without hurting the engine.

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
my turn....

January, LC-1 - a cheaper model of wideband O2. does not have the big square display.
February, Datalogit - got link the O2 into the Datalogit.
Estimated to be completeby around April hopefully. hope the datalogit ships me within a month.

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
you sure the lc1 can interface with datalogit? Remember you need 0-5v output.

somebody

Known Member
Dec 18, 2006
hi Dev, do you have any write-ups on what you really need to know before purchasing the LM1 and the installation procedure to sucessfully hook it up with Datalogit on fd?

or any write-ups that might help.

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
its very simple. the output jack has 3 wires. 2 power and 1 ground. an1 power (red wire) and an2 ground- copper. The problem is finding a good ground. Then program the box to Delta(fancy name for offset) between an1 and an2. if you go to innovate website there is a very good website on the interface. Make sure the readings are the same as wideband.

its easier for me to explain when we meet. i had a hard time getting it right due to grounding. I have wired it up permanently with a 20v fuse.

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
yeap... LC1 works.... but need a computer to program it instead of the hand held controller.

below i copy from the website.

Only fully digital wideband controller.
Auto calibration capability to compensate for changes in temperature, altitude, and sensor condition.
Two user programmable analog outputs.
Permanent install applications
Cost effective individual cylinder tuning.
Easy to upgrade.
Includes LogWorks software

The basic LC-1 kit ($199) includes the LC-1, sensor, cd which includes software and manuals, bung and plug, and a serial cable to connect to the PC

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
2. Programming the Analog Output
The LM-1/LC-1 can be configured to output a linear 0-5 volt signal in proportion to the recorded air fuel ratio. It is best to configure the output in the useable range for a turbo rotary engine. Air fuel should not be outside of the 9 – 16:1 AFR. This section details configuration of the analog output.

Connect the LM-1 or LC-1 to the computer.
Turn power ON to the LM-1/LC-1.
Open the LM Programmer software application.
Click on the “Analog Out 1” or “Analog Out 2” tab. Make sure you program the appropriate analog output which you wired.
Select “use air-fuel-ratio” option.
Set the “Analog Out 1” to the following:
0 Volts at AFR: 9.0
5 Volts at AFR: 16.0
Click the “Program” button to program these values into the LM-1/LC-1.

Please refer to the manual for further details on programming the LM-1/LC-1.

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
thats the same as lm1 but then you loose the capability to do calibration and auto logging.

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
calibration still can.. but only through a computer instead of a convenient handheld like LM1. that's the turn off point.. need to source for a computer that has serial nowadays is pretty difficult.... even the one i'm using doesn't have it... only USB... not sure how well they work with USB to Serial converter.
anyway, i'll give it a try....or hook a desktop on my car with a 240 V extension to calibrate and setup :)

i got a spare space next to my O2 sensor. supposed to be a ext temp.. but i think the engine doesn't come with the meter thus the sensor stuck there. i need to find a way to pry it out and put in the wideband :) else i need to find a place drill a hole and mount the sensor.. else i'll need to get a downpipe with the sensor fitting.

hooking it on without the Datalogit is sort of like useless because i need a computer to be on all the time to log instead of like dev's hand held dataloger.
so.. i'll probably wait till my datalogit is here and i'll hook it on at the same time :)

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
somebody...........where did u get your datalogit ?

somebody

Known Member
Dec 18, 2006
I bought it from the Datalogit website. ordered on 29/11 and got it on 14/12, so about 2 weeks.

You will get the black box, the cable, 1 cd for USB driver adapter (green) and the weird looking tiny CD FC Edit software (I dunno if that weird CD can works lol) and a printed welcome letter. :_:

Hmm.. about the wideband, any other company "near us" (Japan,Oz,Nz) making the same professional gadget that can be attach to datalogit?

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
NGK has a wideband unit but when i emailed them 2 months ago they said it was sold only in japan.

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
i had lots of trouble using the serial to usb converter provided so i opted for aftermarket cables. USBGEAR i believe. at the moment i'm interfacing bluetooth device with datalogit but having conversion probs. will update if it works.

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
bluetooth.... wicked.... it should work...theorotically, bluetooth are connected to comm port 4 and above. just need to map on the fc edit software.

the bluetooth converter is really not cheap for a small conversion....
more than 300 bucks for that conversion... but allow a very clean setup of the car... possibly even run using a PDA :) if whoever able to use fc edit on PDA.

http://www.roalan.com/Bluetooth Wireless Serial RS232 Converter.htm

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
somebody...

oh yeah... buying overseas really pain in the ass if they don't ship internationally.
based on my shopping spree over the internet...

USA got more parts and choices. but u need to run through a lot of roadblocks.
Japan doesn't ship international. unless you deal with a group called RHD Japan. which sells alot of stuff to USA through ebay. and their shipment rates are really mind blowing even shipment to Asia region. talking about USD 35 ~ 40

deal with USA people there are 2 choices:

1) get someone in US to buy on behalf of you using their own paypal account. then you pay them using your own paypal account. get that dude to transfer the item back to you through mail or personally he come back pass to you if he's visiting malaysia or returning to malaysia from a long trip like relocation.

2) pay yourself to the seller through paypal and if he ships international, then you pay extra for the shipment. and you will receive it. approx USD 35 as well depending on weight.

normally i help people to buy things when i'm in USA. but i quit my company so.. no chance going over there. i have a fren helping me at the moment only, getting my own stuff only.

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Lets keep the posts streamlined to subject topic. i've created new topic on main board where posts have been moved. cheerios.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Everybody in the motoring world is eagerly awaiting Mini's return to the World Rally Championship (WRC) but nobody is more excited as the marque itself, and understandably so. They're showing off their rally machine, the Countryman WRC, every oppurtunity they get and lucky us that cameras were on hand at the official launch a while back.

There's...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience