Steering noise when at low speed.

mdss

Known Member
Feb 15, 2015
uk
Hi
Sorry for all the questions today thought I would try and get the car as good as I can!

This is not a major problem but thought I would ask.
When I move the steering left and right at low speed I get a noise, its not the pump the noise is more like a dry joint yawny kind of noise. I thought I could be dry top mounts that need greasing?? Its at very low speed or stationary once moving over 10mph the noise is gone

The power steering operates fine and other than the noise there is no problem, has anyone else experienced this?

Any help as always is much appreciated. thanks

mdss

Known Member
Feb 15, 2015
uk
The noise is kind of a dry bush type of noise almost like a yawn, sorry that's the best I can do in terms of descriptions.

mdss

Known Member
Feb 15, 2015
uk
Ok i will try but i am going to grease the top mounts tomorrow morning as i have a feeling its that making the noise. Not sure if a video will pick up the noise

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Ok i will try but i am going to grease the top mounts tomorrow morning as i have a feeling its that making the noise. Not sure if a video will pick up the noise
Absorber top mount? You have to remove the absorber and take it apart first, right?:smokin:

mdss

Known Member
Feb 15, 2015
uk
After some more investigation it seems the top mounts are not at fault it is more likely the steeering rack bushing. I have bought some spray grease and i will some how try and lubricate the rack bush. Has anyone had any joy doing this?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Without a video it's a bit hard to guess. Have you tried jacking up the car and turning it left/right? And what about stationary with the engine on, does turning left/right make any noises?

Are you able to reproduce the sound anytime anyday? Or is this only in the mornings?

I'd probably diagnose like this :

1. Engine on, car jacked up with front wheels off the ground, turn left/right and check for noises.

If you hear noises it's likely the power steering rack making the racket. If so consider flushing the oil there first before going to the extreme by replacing the rack. Check your power steering pump isn't making the noise either. Since you mentioned absorber top mount it sounds like the noise is "high up". It's possible the pump itself is faulty or starting to be faulty.

If no sound go to #2

2. Engine off, car jacked up with front wheels off the ground, turn left/right and check for noises.

If you hear noises now, it's probably one of the following : power steering rack, ball joints, ARB links, lower arm bush. Just check individually one by one. Most of these things have obvious signs of failure like ripped or broken rubber bushes, oily area from grease or oily bits, etc. Also try to shake your wheels left to right, front to back, if there is a lot of free play might want to check those wheel bearings.

If no sound go to #3

3. Engine on, car on the ground, idle, handbrake up.

Slowly turn left/right and stop when you hear the sound. Leave the steering as is and see if your wheels or anything else is rubbing against something else. It's also possible your tyre has something to do with it depending on whats your toe/castor/camber and maybe you might have a nail or something lodged in your tyre that's making the noise.

If no sound, go to #4

4. Engine on, driving slow

Have a 2nd person sit in the car and listen to the noise with aircon off and windows down. It'll be easier to isolate the sound.

At this point I need to be physically there to have a listen.

Note - This is a DIY diagnostic. I might be wrong in some of the troubleshooting so if I am, please do correct me

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If your mechanic have the car lift (the one that you drive onto) then use this to lift up the car then do the turn, and check from underneath. With the car on the ground pretty hard to check where the sound come from. If you jack the car up with the wheel hanging there may not be pressure on the wheels so the sound may not appear also....

mdss

Known Member
Feb 15, 2015
uk
thanks guys, the noise is there when stationary and at very low speed once your going over 7mph its gone.
i have not tried with the car jacked up i will give that a go.

thanks again guys

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Drive shaft problem? It happened to my car recently. During low speed driving and when I turn my steering wheel, there is this loud krak krak krak sound. At the end, it seems that my drive shaft is faulty.

mdss

Known Member
Feb 15, 2015
uk
Hi thanks for reply, its not a drive shaft problem. I have had them before as you said they are cracking kind of sounds its not that. I had it jacked up and moved the wheel and there was no noise at all so its when the wheels are on the ground and there is resistance.
I sprayed all the steering components up with spray grease but problem still there. My money is on top mounts being dry but you have to remove the struts to grease these up so I will do this when I get a chance.

Thanks for all they help

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
To find out the noise have to do slow elimination process. One time I had squeaking noise after the car run for a while and becomes hot. If from cold no sound. The sound seems to be coming from the front right side.
Got one time the sound can out pretty loud so straight away drive to mechanic ask them to check. They jack up the car (car body type), but no sound, so they change over to the other jack where the wheels are on the jack platform, then they press the car up and down and found the noise coming from the left side instead and it was a dried out tie rod joint....

mdss

Known Member
Feb 15, 2015
uk
Ok guys so I have cured the noise.

It was the rack inside the car under the dash where it goes into the tube(sleeve) had become dry. I bought a can of spray grease and simply lay in the footwell and sprayed it into the tube and move the steering left and right whilst spraying the noise has gone 90%

I intend to take the airbag out so I can spray some grease from the top and that should cure it completely.

I hope that helps anyone who was also having a similar problem

Thanks again for all your help

mdss

Known Member
Feb 15, 2015
uk
Managed to do it without removing the airbag, I took the steering cowling off and sprayed the ring at the back of the steering wheel with spray grease, I simply used a screw driver to make a small gap and sprayed it in as well as down the steering tube also.