sony vs pioneer car audio

mahfudz_mn

Known Member
Nov 22, 2004
Bukit Jalil
Visit site
you might want to consider kenwood as well if you're lingering around rm500 budget...that is i'm guessing you just want a player that's usb compatible...i've frequented an accessories shop in front of rock cafe near sunway there for alarm unit, speakers, and finally my head unit which needed replacement...

i have bad experience with sony HUs, but for the previous 5 years we stuck with the brand cause we have that steering control module stuck at the steering column...we have used 2 units, the first one gave up its FM receiver, repaired and then went condemn after a year, the second one had to be replaced because the front speaker output circuit blew out...

so the guys at the shop offered me either kenwood or pioneer...both ipod/iphone/usb compatible and they said if you want sound quality go for kenwood (24 bit bla bla) and if you want more punch in bass go for pioneer...finally i went with kenwood because its buttons are organized better and the usb port has sliding cover (purely cosmetic reasons) after a month of having it...i have no regrets, the sound quality is indeed amazing and the bass can kick in pretty well (i have no ICE souped ups in my car, just JBL 6x9 and audioquart 4" in front (satria) only, not even an amp)...what i praise about the unit? sound clarity beats sony hands down, blue lights, easy setup and function setting

i must say i dont have many knowledge in this area but i think i got myself lucky and a trusty shop to advise me since i've been going to that shop quite a bit... :) you can buy perhaps cheaper than brothers but you wont ever get the attention which you think your car deserves :) my 2 cents worth of advise...cheers

yams727

Jul 26, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
wow... better late than never.

thanks buddy. good feedback.

it's been months and i have yet to replace my headunit. might even consider checking out this shop in front of rock cafe you frequent.

thanks,

-yams-

gt6334a

Sep 10, 2010
Penang
i own a Sony MEX BT2500 and the reason I got it was because it was the only unit with integrated Bluetooth that I could find in Msia back about 3 years ago.

This unit replaced a Blaupunkt unit and the sound of the Sony was more colored. i definitely preferred the Blaupunkt sound but I guess these guys exited the Msian market...

If I were to change the HU I would also probably choose Pioneer or some other unit (Clarion, Alpine) with a more neutral sound..