Sep 17, 2008

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Let's go through one by one..
H.City = subcompact class, 1.5L engine, NVH cannot compare to compact class car
Vios = same as H.City
Forte = compact class, Korean gearbox, good luck. I have friend's and relatives whose Hyundai Atos and Getz gearboxes fail prematurely. serviced by Hyundai on schedule. less than 80k km and 5 years sudah mampus.
Ford Fiesta = subcompact class/supermini, a lot of money for small car (same can be said for Mini Cooper)
Mazda 2 = same platform as Ford Fiesta
Triton = its not a car
Suzuki Swift = same as Ford Fiesta, but I guess better value for money (cheaper). proven platform, engine, transmission, handling
Nissan Latio = compact class car, looks ugly compared to H.City, Fiesta..it was a very good buy (value for money) until Inspira came out
Hyundai Elantra = compact class, but good luck with the gearbox.

buying a car is like buying a shoe..there's no one size fit all and it depends on the owner..

example.. if you are a family guy, you fetch your parents out quite often (dinner, visit relatives) and you have/plan to start your own family, the subcompacts are out of the list unless you plan to change your car when your children become teenagers, or if you plan to have a lot of kids (3 & above). Sure, you can fit them all in the Swift, Fiesta or Vios but its going to be an uncomfortable ride if you have long distance trip, e.g. going to penang for holiday.

The hatches, fiesta/swift lagi mati.. imagine you fetch your parents to KLIA and they going long vacation.. no way in hell the big luggage is going to fit in the boot.

If you are a lone ranger, then it doesn't really matter.

Now.. for new cars.. Lancer the Inspira is definitely value for money.. it cannot be argued. A Altis/Civic compact class car. Proven Japanese engine and transmission - (the 4gXX engines in previous Protons proved reliable). The car is versatile enough to grow with your family. 3 kids? no problem, it won't be cramp in there. when they turn teenager, its going to be tight. but in a subcompact its going to be a sardine can. You may argue, its a Proton. But look at it this way, it is just a CKD Lancer, with some parts manufactured here. a Peugeot 308 is CKD and built by Naza anyway, with some parts manufactured here, does the badge matter that much?

so you got to ask yourself..how long you plan to keep the car, and how much you want to spend, and what your life's roadmap going to be. if you plan to be lonely driver like Takumi.. doesn't really matter what you buy. but for sure with a Swift or Fiesta, it'll be a car you will grow out of once you move on to the next stage in life, and by then you either buy a Camry or Inspira, and sell the Swift/Fiesta or keep it as a city car/2nd car.

EDIT: before any Korean car owners/fans/lovers come and bash me, I'd just like to point this out.. Japanese transmission is better than Korean transmission on actual use. proven. JDPower rankings of actual vehicle owners, Lexus consistently ranking top 10 since 2003, Toyota is No.4 in 2009, and Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Scion all received awards in 2009. You see a trend? NO KOREAN CARS.

Last edited:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
last time in klang i saw 7 ppl came out from a proton saga blm. like sardine tin. 5 adults, 2 teenagers. the car more lowered than mine. :)

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

RM21,001 still cannot get Evo X halfcut
get evo 8 or 9 halfcut also can la ....:rofl:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
i would say, honda insight, because the savings in gas would pay for the difference , also cbu quality is much better than malaysian ckd. japanese people have their pride on their cars

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
i would say, honda insight, because the savings in gas would pay for the difference , also cbu quality is much better than malaysian ckd. japanese people have their pride on their cars
thats silly. what if i only use 16km a day, 6 days a week? the savings from gas won't be enough to pay for a difference between, say the Honda City and the Insight. (yes i know people who only use 16km a day, live near their workplace).

the whole gas savings thing is overrated unless you are on the road a lot e.g. salesman.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
How about the Nissan Sentra 1.6? New price list is also 80+ (not sure about discounts if can drop under 80k). Then used one (2008/9) around 60+. Since it's a 1.6ltr, then the road tax is still cheap (RM90) but more powerful than those other 1.5ltr cars.
Just curious as well cus I'm also looking for cars around the same budget, and no one so far has mentioned this car. Or are there some issues with it?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
How about the Nissan Sentra 1.6? New price list is also 80+ (not sure about discounts if can drop under 80k). Then used one (2008/9) around 60+. Since it's a 1.6ltr, then the road tax is still cheap (RM90) but more powerful than those other 1.5ltr cars.
Just curious as well cus I'm also looking for cars around the same budget, and no one so far has mentioned this car. Or are there some issues with it?
let's not introduce used to the discussion since all along its been about new cars. that being said, that car is way too old man. The Nissan Sentra B16 was introduced in 2000. Frankly speaking that model is a decade old and approx RM85k to RM89k depending on transmission, its absolutely bad value for money buying new.

And no, the 1.6L in the Sentra is not more powerful than the 1.5L cars.
Nissan Sentra Manual, weights 1138kg
QG16DE 88 kW (118 hp)@6000 rpm, 165 N·m (122 lb·ft)@4000 rpm

Toyota Vios 1.5J, weights 1020kg
1NZ-FE 80 kW (110 hp) at 6000 rpm with 141 Nm (103 ft·lbf) of torque at 4200 rpm

On paper it has a wee bit more power, but it is also 118kg heavier, so in actual fact, its about the same or worst.

At RM78,999, the 1.8 Manual Inspira will slaughter the Nissan Sentra RM85k in terms of handling, performance and safety. And obviously, price as well. NVH I will guess that the Inspira will be better, since it is introduced in 2007 by Mitsubishi and refined/improved by Proton in 2010. I'm sure its better than a competitor of the same category from the last decade.

Happy motoring :driver:

BE5RSK

Known Member
Dec 31, 2009
Besaout
Bro Ixeo,

Well said man... I enjoy reading your argument:proud:

Inspira 1.8 manual seems a bargain for sub RM 80k new car.
But, being grown-up with proton, since saga era until Gen-2, I would say the build quality and durability quality still frightening me. BUT, it could be different with Inspira. I could be wrong.

Now, I'm playing wait-and-see before putting my deposit on Inspira. Let it rolled on the road for another 6 months and see what's the comments/feedback from the owners of Inspira.:driver:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
let's not introduce used to the discussion since all along its been about new cars. that being said, that car is way too old man. The Nissan Sentra B16 was introduced in 2000. Frankly speaking that model is a decade old and approx RM85k to RM89k depending on transmission, its absolutely bad value for money buying new.

And no, the 1.6L in the Sentra is not more powerful than the 1.5L cars.
Nissan Sentra Manual, weights 1138kg
QG16DE 88 kW (118 hp)@6000 rpm, 165 N·m (122 lb·ft)@4000 rpm

Toyota Vios 1.5J, weights 1020kg
1NZ-FE 80 kW (110 hp) at 6000 rpm with 141 Nm (103 ft·lbf) of torque at 4200 rpm

On paper it has a wee bit more power, but it is also 118kg heavier, so in actual fact, its about the same or worst.

At RM78,999, the 1.8 Manual Inspira will slaughter the Nissan Sentra RM85k in terms of handling, performance and safety. And obviously, price as well. NVH I will guess that the Inspira will be better, since it is introduced in 2007 by Mitsubishi and refined/improved by Proton in 2010. I'm sure its better than a competitor of the same category from the last decade.

Happy motoring :driver:
Bro Ixeo,

Well said man... I enjoy reading your argument:proud:

Inspira 1.8 manual seems a bargain for sub RM 80k new car.
But, being grown-up with proton, since saga era until Gen-2, I would say the build quality and durability quality still frightening me. BUT, it could be different with Inspira. I could be wrong.

Now, I'm playing wait-and-see before putting my deposit on Inspira. Let it rolled on the road for another 6 months and see what's the comments/feedback from the owners of Inspira.:driver:
I've actually test driven some Sentras (both manual & AT) and performance wise it's ok as expected of a 1.6ltr class car. Yea I know it's an old design, but I honestly still prefer this look than many of the new cars like Vios, City, or Inspira (cuz I don't like the fat looking proportions of those cars!). Currently the Sentra is also having a huge discount (up to 10K) plus the look can be very much improved after adding the newest Impul kit! :D
As for the Inspira, yes the performance should be better than the Sentra, but again I don't like the current Mitsu styling at all and it's a 1.8 which requires much higher road tax, plus as BE5RSK said, it's a Proton which I really doubt in terms of quality (surely engine & drive train would be good, but everything else are still doubtful).

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I've actually test driven some Sentras (both manual & AT) and performance wise it's ok as expected of a 1.6ltr class car. Yea I know it's an old design, but I honestly still prefer this look than many of the new cars like Vios, City, or Inspira (cuz I don't like the fat looking proportions of those cars!). Currently the Sentra is also having a huge discount (up to 10K) plus the look can be very much improved after adding the newest Impul kit! :D
As for the Inspira, yes the performance should be better than the Sentra, but again I don't like the current Mitsu styling at all and it's a 1.8 which requires much higher road tax, plus as BE5RSK said, it's a Proton which I really doubt in terms of quality (surely engine & drive train would be good, but everything else are still doubtful).
if your emphasis on looks is so important, you should just buy the car you like and not ask in a public forum. you seem more like you've made a choice and you want us to convince you that it is a good one.

sadly, based on objective facts, its not. I'm not going to discuss on looks cause its subjective. its your money man, spend it where you want to.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
if your emphasis on looks is so important, you should just buy the car you like and not ask in a public forum. you seem more like you've made a choice and you want us to convince you that it is a good one.

sadly, based on objective facts, its not. I'm not going to discuss on looks cause its subjective. its your money man, spend it where you want to.
Looks is indeed an important factor for me cus I don't want to spend a lot of money and end up looking at something that makes my eye sore everyday! But of course I also consider the technical and quality aspects and try to balance them out to get my final decision. If you really read my first post carefully on this, I asked if there's something wrong/issues/problems with the Sentra, so I didn't even start by bringing up the looks! Does the car have quality issues with the engine/brakes/suspension/electrical, etc2? So that's actually my intention of the question which is a valid question (as I never had any experience with Nissan). You just mentioned that it's an old design but IMHO being old design doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Then you brought up Vios & Inspira which I really don't like in terms of looks, so of course I mentioned it.
IMHO Vios is also actually inferior to the Sentra by any means, not just the looks. The Inspira I also already admit technically should be a better performer but again I said there's the factor of quality which unfortunately Proton is not known for, not just the looks. My dislike on the looks of both those cars just the final nail on the coffin for me not to consider them.
Btw FYI most likely I won't buy the Sentra anyway! Instead, I'm now interested to buy the Livina which is actually a car I like less than the Sentra in terms of looks but better fits my purpose in the other aspects. So it's not like I've decided to buy a Sentra because of the looks and just want to get your convincing here! :P

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
i only wonder if the TS actually purchased a car now, its been 3 months

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Looks is indeed an important factor for me cus I don't want to spend a lot of money and end up looking at something that makes my eye sore everyday! But of course I also consider the technical and quality aspects and try to balance them out to get my final decision. If you really read my first post carefully on this, I asked if there's something wrong/issues/problems with the Sentra, so I didn't even start by bringing up the looks! Does the car have quality issues with the engine/brakes/suspension/electrical, etc2? So that's actually my intention of the question which is a valid question (as I never had any experience with Nissan). You just mentioned that it's an old design but IMHO being old design doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Then you brought up Vios & Inspira which I really don't like in terms of looks, so of course I mentioned it.
IMHO Vios is also actually inferior to the Sentra by any means, not just the looks. The Inspira I also already admit technically should be a better performer but again I said there's the factor of quality which unfortunately Proton is not known for, not just the looks. My dislike on the looks of both those cars just the final nail on the coffin for me not to consider them.
Btw FYI most likely I won't buy the Sentra anyway! Instead, I'm now interested to buy the Livina which is actually a car I like less than the Sentra in terms of looks but better fits my purpose in the other aspects. So it's not like I've decided to buy a Sentra because of the looks and just want to get your convincing here! :P
From that perspective, fair enough. Being old is not bad. The only issue though, is on chassis/safety aspect, crumple zones and how technology has advanced. The comparison I drew with the Vios & Inspira is simply because its in the same price bracket, looks notwithstanding. (again, looks are subjective so no point going there.) The point I try to drive home is simply Sentra is not worth buying new, reason being it delivers bad value for money. (paying 8xk for something that is technically outdated and discontinued)

The Grand Livina is a good choice, having driven the Latio 1.6 & 1.8, I personally feel the 1.6 is the better engine. Though I think it doesn't belong in this thread since its not a car. LOL. That being said I personally prefer the styling of the Alza, but that's just me. :biggrin:

i only wonder if the TS actually purchased a car now, its been 3 months
maybe he bought an MPV leh... Exora, Lotus handling [strike]van[/strike] MPV yo!

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
From that perspective, fair enough. Being old is not bad. The only issue though, is on chassis/safety aspect, crumple zones and how technology has advanced. The comparison I drew with the Vios & Inspira is simply because its in the same price bracket, looks notwithstanding. (again, looks are subjective so no point going there.) The point I try to drive home is simply Sentra is not worth buying new, reason being it delivers bad value for money. (paying 8xk for something that is technically outdated and discontinued)

The Grand Livina is a good choice, having driven the Latio 1.6 & 1.8, I personally feel the 1.6 is the better engine. Though I think it doesn't belong in this thread since its not a car. LOL. That being said I personally prefer the styling of the Alza, but that's just me. :biggrin:
Yea, I actually was considering to get a used Sentra, maybe like year 2009 since the older ones actually have more features like ABS & folded rear seats.

Hahaha it's an MPV/station wagon so it's still a car lah, not yet a truck! :biggrin: Initially Alza was my first choice as well cuz I also like the exterior style better! But on the interior, IMHO the Livina is much better especially since the meters are located conventionally still in front of the driver, not in the center like the Alza. Having test driven both, I feel the Livina is also much more comfortable & more silent, and the brakes feel much better. However the things that really turn me off on the Alza are the quality issues I've read so far about it.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

anyone here ? any shop that offer custom made bodykit in PU.. i wan to custom made whole bumper.. becoz malaysia cannot get the bumper i want in PU.. fibre cannot tahan.. sure hancur coz my car just 5 fingers from the ground.. how much it roughly cost?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience