Reservoir tank problem ?

jiusan

Known Member
Feb 13, 2008
Helo ,
I have recently noticed that the water level of my car reservoir tank is dropping whenever I drive .
So I top it up daily , usually will be less than a half of the tank .
I tried figuring out the problem and noticed that the radiator cap rubber has harden and shape had been out of place .
Its a 0.9kg pressure big sized cap . So it was replaced .

The water level then never dropped in the reservoir tank after the change .
I thought it was done , when then the water level of the radiator itself started dropping .
It never happened before I changed the cap / the cap is brand new .

Today with a bit of free time , I opened the cap and filled the water correctly in the radiator and reservoir then without closing the cap started up the engine .

Immediately the water drops in the radiator / once the engine starts .
Can see it by the mouth of the radiator itself .
Then top it up / just a little .
There is not a sign of leaking everywhere and revving the engine never affect the water level in the radiator and reserve tank itself too .

Then warmed up , radiator fan started to run . Water level of radiator started getting low like when I started the engine .
Top it up again and rev the engine no sign of leaking as well and engine working perfectly .

Sorry for the long description .
The water level of the rad. will lower itself when starting the engine and radiator fan operating .
Hoses all fine and not a sign of water leak can be seen .
And reservoir tank water level never dropped at all even though radiator water level dropping .
Anybody knows what's wrong ?

Hmm thanks in advance first for reading !!!

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
i think nothing wrong already after u replaced the cap. your cooling system works as it should.

water level drop when u first start the engine because of the water now running inside the system and all the air pocket will be released via rad mouth. so the level will down. then u top-up until full. now the system is full (but your thermostat not open yet = engine not hot enough). when ur engine already hot, the fan run = thermostat open. the water fill in the thermostat and its piping space so once again the level will drop. u top-up until full again. so now ur cooling system is 100% full. about the reservoir tank, please note that water level in your tank wont change when u open the cap. this is because there is no pressure inside ur cooling system either to suck in or out water between radiator and tank.

leachuan

Known Member
Jan 6, 2007
Klang
My reservoir tank also dropping, but my by radiator is full. Didnt see any leaking. Change radiator cap also same thing. Duno whats the prob.

kaderAE101

Known Member
Mar 6, 2010
K.L / Ampang
Bro ..
Chk yr Eng oil dip stick.. all the water could have mixed with the engine oil.
I had this problem in my old car.. water leaked into engine.

I was pouring so much water, but the radiator was never full, then realised the water in the engine

leachuan

Known Member
Jan 6, 2007
Klang
My reservoir tank will be dried after 4 days driving. Damn. After reservoir tank empty, the water level in radiator starts dropping. I dont see any oil above the radiator water, so i assume the water doesnt leak into the engine. Damn. Any sifu can advice what else to check?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
My reservoir tank will be dried after 4 days driving. Damn. After reservoir tank empty, the water level in radiator starts dropping. I dont see any oil above the radiator water, so i assume the water doesnt leak into the engine. Damn. Any sifu can advice what else to check?
Check for :

1. Leakages. I assume your coolant is coloured? Check for dried coloured patches around your engine bay indicating a leak.
2. Check your pipes. Old ones need to be replaced cuz the rubber deteriorates.
3. Check your engine oil dip stick for water in your engine. If there is water, then you have a cylinder head gasket problem. Fix it fast before you end up with a warped head which is much worse.
4. Check the radiator itself for leaks.
5. Check the thermostat area for leaks.

If all looks good then perhaps your car is just thirsty. :biggrin:

leachuan

Known Member
Jan 6, 2007
Klang
Check for :

1. Leakages. I assume your coolant is coloured? Check for dried coloured patches around your engine bay indicating a leak.
2. Check your pipes. Old ones need to be replaced cuz the rubber deteriorates.
3. Check your engine oil dip stick for water in your engine. If there is water, then you have a cylinder head gasket problem. Fix it fast before you end up with a warped head which is much worse.
4. Check the radiator itself for leaks.
5. Check the thermostat area for leaks.

If all looks good then perhaps your car is just thirsty. :biggrin:
Thanks alot. Will bring my car to mechanic to check on the leaks on each pipes...

jiusan

Known Member
Feb 13, 2008
thanks all for the opinion ,
I believe all of them should be checked upon !

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I just want to ask when is the right time to flush my automatic gearbox
How many kilometer?
Is there any mark
currently my gearbox is not goin very smooth especially when the car is stop and then shift to reverse(R) or drive (D) gear, it got sound "ting" once
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience