Renault’s Kubica involved in high-speed rally crash, could be out for season w/video

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

Formula One driver, Robert Kubica, that drives for the Renault team, was recently involved in a high-speed rally crash and could find himself sitting out the 2011 Formula One season as he attempts to recover from the injuries that severely fractured his arm and hand.

He had to be airlifted to a hospital in Genoa following the crash for emergency surgery to save his fractured right hand. The crash, that saw him hit a church wall head, resulted in the crash barrier of his Skoda penetrating the footwell and injuring the Pole’s arm and leg.

Kubica is making excellent progress after hours of surgery and is currently still in intensive care, where he is expected to remain for the next three days.

The head of the intensive care unit at the hospital that Kubica is recovering at now said that he was in stable condition with no post-surgery infections. Kubica will be operated on further in a week’s time to treat the fractured elbow and humerus.

Kubica himself is already awake, although severely sedated but conscious enough to talk to his manager and hospital staff. He is even able to drink and execute small movements with his hand already.

Nonetheless, it could still take up to a year for the driver to fully recover from his injuries although he could gain almost all functionality in a few months’ time.

Here we have the footage of the first car on the scene following Kubica’s crash. The car arrives within minutes of the crash, and the drive up to the scene shows just how dangerous the road was as it screams down narrow lanes with stone walls and crash barriers lining the sides just inches from the car.

As they approach the scene, a marshall frantically waves a yellow flag to get them to slow down and we get a view of Kubica’s car on the left, crumpled by the barrier. The shock and horror felt by the driver and co-driver is evident as they pull over and jump out to help, all thoughts of the race discarded in the name of helping a peer.

There is also a video simulation of the crash that shows the guardrail snapping and penetrating the car right through the driver's position, all the way through and out the rear.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YE8GUwybi5k" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PVdlfrl-mso" allowfullscreen="" width="480" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hEe0084HoT4" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>

Source: Autosport, Metro UK and YouTube

Attachments

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Re: Renault’s Kubica involved in high-speed rally crash, could be out for season w/vi

pity him

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

pity him

kevindass

Oct 26, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Re: Renault’s Kubica involved in high-speed rally crash, could be out for season w/vi

real sad. kubica is one of the fierce rival on track
should the FIA ban f1 drivers of not participating in any external series a month before the season unfolds?...

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007

Get well soon, Robert. We need you on the grid in March.

willyace

Known Member
Oct 18, 2007

Still could not find the actual footage of the crash. anyway good to see all the driver are actually care about each other tho they are competing against each others.

hope that he will recover soon.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

in rally regulation, the first competitor arrived at the accident scene must stop and help if they saw competitor in front of them crashed...especially when there wasn't any "OK" sign put...furthermore like this heavy crash, the driver still stuck, most likely the stage would be cancelled......

only in rally u'll saw competitor helps each other in the stages :adore:

SundayDriver

Known Member
Dec 1, 2008

shit dats scary...

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site

When I 1st heard of the news on Sunday the reports were very sketchy.
Initially i thought he hit hard on something solid as evident in one of the youtube videos (back in Sunday). If you notice carefully, the left shoulder seat belt hole broke big time. So you can imagine the severity of the impact. The only time you see a seat break is when using those generic Sparko/Blide/PloLive seats that's rampantly sold on the market.
Newer pictures that are coming in answers all doubts where the guard rail penetrated into the car. eww... Reminds me of some Audi R8 pictures that crashed on some highway that's floating around the net.
I really, really hope he recovers in record time. The last time Robert freaked me out when I was watching the Canadian GP live when he crashed head onto that concrete wall. Immediately I realized that the front bulkhead disintegrated with his feet is sticking out

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all...i am looking for a cheap bucket seat to create my own custom gaming seat for my ps3. how cheap can this kind of bucket seat complete with railing will cost for a 2nd hand one? something like the attachment

i dont need a branded one and just need 1 seat. just need it to look like the one on the picture. my budget would be rm300 and below....possible?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience