Porsche ups the ante for world’s best selling racing car

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

If you think you see too many Porsches on the road, you’d best believe that it’s the same case on the race tracks. The 911 has been the spec racer of choice for many of the Porsche Carrera Cup national championships as well as the Porsche Mobil Supercup that serves as a support race for Formula One.

All those series use the 911 GT3 Cup car that can be tweaked to conform with many other racing series and not just the Porsche one-make series. Since 1988, over 1,400 of the GT3 Cup cars have been sold to find a life on the track, lending weight to Prosche’s claim that it’s the best selling racing car of all time.

Now following the launch of the street-legal 911 GT3 RS, the cup cars will be starting life based on that model as well. The GT3 RS brings a wider body that can accommodate bigger wheels, tyres and brakes to the table. Even the motivation department has been bumped up to the 3.8-liter flat six pushing out 450hp, 30 more than the 3.6-liter engine found in the outgoing car.

Plus, the more aggressive aero package and LEDs would look downright sinister on the track, especially with the sun setting. Expect the 2011 911 GT3 Cup car to make its racing debut at the opening round of next season’s Carrera Cup GB Championship.

Source: Autoblog

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Very nice racer, very competitive in the FIA GT3 championship. I wish Porsche would have made a racer for the FIA GT1 class using the Carrera GT as the base car.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
They already have a GT1 car...its super rare.
Yea, but that's the very old GT1 class when it was battling with Merc CLK GTR after the McLaren F1 era, not like the current FIA GT1 spec where we have the MC12, Murcielago, Aston, Ford GT, Corvette, & Nissan GTR.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just want to ask, i want to do complete rebuilding and bluepriting for both my 1.6 mivec engine and gearbox. how much will it cost? (estimated price?)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience