Polisher for beginner

anonymouse

Mar 21, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys,

I'm a beginner in car detailing and I'm quite amazed by those detailed car pictures that you guys posted here.

I would like to try out detailing myself as well and for starter I would like to invest in a polisher. What type of polisher would the veterans here suggest? A dual action polisher or rotary buffers?

Thanks.

anonymouse

Mar 21, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Budget? Limitations? Intentions?
I googled around and found that either polisher will come close to rm800 to rm900. I'm quite okay with that.

I just want to learn detailing for now. Been using elbow grease all these while and the result isn't that consistent.

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
From my experience as I own both a DA and a RB,

Dual action - less cutting power, good for finishing. Not too kind to the hands. Prolong use per day causes pain in my wrist.

RB - I only use this when I need to do extreme compounding or when dealing with headlamp restoration. Seldom do I use this to do finishing. Smooth operation and more silent compare to my DA. Controlling it takes practice.

Dual Action used - Ultramate
RB used - Makita.

I think you would want to know what you want to achieve and also have a test on both to get a feel which one you are more comfortable with.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
I googled around and found that either polisher will come close to rm800 to rm900. I'm quite okay with that.
Well....a good polisher (both rotary and DA) would come to around that price. But you'd also need to consider the complimentary accessories that are required...buffing pads, backing plates, compounds & polishes, etc. A good ballpark figure should be around RM1,200...more or less....

Which machine? This is where your expectations (what you want to achieve) and intentions (commercial or 'recreational') would come to play.

Or, if you don't want any headache......RUPES BIGFOOT & PADS FTW....!!! Muahahaha.......

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Well....a good polisher (both rotary and DA) would come to around that price. But you'd also need to consider the complimentary accessories that are required...buffing pads, backing plates, compounds & polishes, etc. A good ballpark figure should be around RM1,200...more or less....

Which machine? This is where your expectations (what you want to achieve) and intentions (commercial or 'recreational') would come to play.

Or, if you don't want any headache......RUPES BIGFOOT & PADS FTW....!!! Muahahaha.......
HAHAHA, rupes bigfoot..... that one no headache, just walletache only. I sell both my makita and ultramate also cannot afford a Rupes. Just like the elusive bigfoot.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
HAHAHA, rupes bigfoot..... that one no headache, just walletache only. I sell both my makita and ultramate also cannot afford a Rupes. Just like the elusive bigfoot.
errr....sorry but what's a "walletache"....:confused::confused::confused:

edit: oh...i see...i see....wallet ache...I AM DEFINITELY getting old.....:smokin:

Last edited:

jonlsl

Jun 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
If you only want 1 machine Rupees Bigfoot which will give you the best of both worlds. If you are budget conscience and still want best bang for the buck, get a rotary buffer (rb)and start of polishing from 500-900rpm and becareful as you can easily punch a hole in the paint. Even cheaper option DA polisher which is the safest option. Aliexpress is your friend, many there.

As for RB, Either Dewalt Makita or china is ok (especially if you are a noobie) and a china one only cost rm200-300. But You MUST MAKE SURE it starts from 500 or 600 rpm. Skil has a RB for about RM300 but I personally think starting speed if way to fast at 900rpm, very difficult to finish the paint perfectly and you need the slow speed as well.

Since you are a noobie, Bosch has a small and light RB but its quite noisy. Cost RM500+

But I think you should just spend money once and get

1. Dewalt 849X (best bang for the buck RB, and quiet at low speed and looks damn cool I call it Bumble Bee)
2. Makita 9227C (well proven machine, cannot go wrong)
3. Rupees Bigfoot (RB + DA all rolled into one, but expensive, but same price if you compare to buying 1 RB+1 DA)

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
VERY pricey....but worth it? I'm forced to think that it is since money already spent....hahaha....

But honestly, the best thing about the Bigfoot is how much it was able to take most of the strain off. The strained back, aching joints, tired muscles, etc. are very much reduced....and all this without compromising (much) on the results.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
VERY pricey....but worth it? I'm forced to think that it is since money already spent....hahaha....

But honestly, the best thing about the Bigfoot is how much it was able to take most of the strain off. The strained back, aching joints, tired muscles, etc. are very much reduced....and all this without compromising (much) on the results.
If it makes the tasks easier, then it's worth it. If not, you probably gonna spend on supplements and medicals when worse haha.

anonymouse

Mar 21, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for the input guys. If I want to reduce light swirls and don't do any further damage to the paint, would DA be sufficient? From what I read RB packs more power and may screw up the paint job if handled wrongly.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

radiostar Advanced 2-Way Alarm System is suitable for all car makes.

Here's a list of car models that we have installed and the list is growing everyday!

In alphabetical order:

BMW
E36

Chevrolet
Aveo

Honda
Accord
Civic
CRX
Integra
Jazz

Kia
Picanto
Spectra

Mazda...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience