Old car or New Car with the same price???

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

zerotian

Sep 23, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I'm been debating with myself...but still unable to decide...so here i'm in the forum...asking for advice....

The situation is that i test drove an old 2005 Civic ES 2.0....and love it very much...just cant get it out of my mind...but the problem is that the price is RM65k which is the same with preve and some other brand like mitsubishi mirage etc and even more expensive than Persona or Saga....

Which one would you choose? Is it worth it to buy and old civic with the price or a brand new preve or persona? Dint have the chance to test drive those cars yet...

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Buy the one you like. The Honda Civic ES will have some parts up for replacement - normal wear and tear. The Proton Preve will have some parts up for repair - normal Proton lack of quality. But for RM65k budget, I will recommend this:

Proton Inspira (A) 2.0 premium - Cars for sale Selangor - Mudah.my

Used car, still under factory warranty. Japan car CKD by Proton. Everything under the bonnet is Japan parts, rest are Malaysia content.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Well first of all are you familiar with taking care of a used car before? If not, then probably better to buy something relatively newer (say max 2yrs old) or completely new.

zerotian

Sep 23, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Never bought a 2nd hand car/used car b4...but up till now I already have two old cars but bought brand new...sold the oldest one but still keep the newer one..but now looking for another car....with a bit of performance....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Well it's up to your comfort/confidence level when buying/choosing used cars. Probably better to start with one that's not too old, max 2-3yrs old only.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
also need to see yr usage levels...if u gonna use the car like a travelling salesman...then it would be wiser to get a newer car as the older car would suffer more from wear and tear. u will not enjoy sending yr car to the workshop once a month for a different breakdown each time... things like abs failing wont cause u to have a breakdown but it still requires time spent in the workshop and $$$ out.

zerotian

Sep 23, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for all the advice guys....I think i'm about to ditch out the old civic options...save some more days for a brand new car...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thanks for all the advice guys....I think i'm about to ditch out the old civic options...save some more days for a brand new car...
Like the others mentioned, what are you looking at. Old car will have more repairs issue. New car will have more depreciation issue. Drive both and see which you like.
In all the cars I own, I bought 2 new cars only, the rest are all used.
Like my Mitsu Super Saloon, it is more a love issue, converting it to a VR. Bought it at 9 years old, now it is 21 years old.....:proud:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Old Car also depends on what type of car only worth buying :biggrin:

I would go for 2nd hand sport cars if were to get a used car. New car for daily use, less hassle at least 3 years free of problems,
also depending on what type of car you buy la.

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
Old Car also depends on what type of car only worth buying :biggrin:

I would go for 2nd hand sport cars if were to get a used car. New car for daily use, less hassle at least 3 years free of problems,
also depending on what type of car you buy la.
Haha! I bought my 2nd hand car at Batu Caves area also along MRR2 la...

I did go to the MRR2 side to view the cars...and even Selayang Auto City. Some not too bad. But as usual, I ask, can test drive?
Most say can, u pay deposit 1st la, then if test drive if car got problem, we will try to fix for u and if really cant fix, we will give back
your deposit....

I'm was like, I'm not a nut and I know all your tactics...once give u deposit i can never get it back since u said will try to fix for me.
These are just ways to confirm their sales...

I went to the batu caves one, he straight come and serve us. Open the car doors and let us view even start up the engine for us and
leave us there to check after he explain a few...

So i say can test drive ar, straight he say can. So, okay la test drive then he was quite honest, before test drive he say car overall
all really good condition and engine is superb just mounting need to change which I'll replace for u...

after test drive, seriously got serious vibration when engage reverse gear...did my check under carriage and everything.
So, we like the car ask him to calculate the breakdown everything. Price discounted okay or not and etcs. Then is up to us
if we want to book the car with a deposit or not, since we plan to get it, so how much we wanna give deposit up to us.

So, just put RM200 that's it. He will repair everything and tell us to come to collect.
Can say overall satisfy la...just found out the car repainted before on bumpers maybe slight damage...1st time buying a 2nd hand
car :rofl:
what sports car you bought recently bro?

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
Long time din see YeeHau post in forum ade, MIA ka bro?

zerotian

Sep 23, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Haha...so bad, I miss the Civic, some1 bought it already....actually I like it so much when I test drive it....it just perfect for me...2005 with just 48k mileage, and it has branded ICE, which in my estimate I can sells for RM6k 2nd hand........:((((, I'm slow to decide.....

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Haha...so bad, I miss the Civic, some1 bought it already....actually I like it so much when I test drive it....it just perfect for me...2005 with just 48k mileage, and it has branded ICE, which in my estimate I can sells for RM6k 2nd hand........:((((, I'm slow to decide.....
Good thing must grab fast. If after a while still not sold, can bargain further....hahahaha:biggrin:

satria81

500 RPM
Sep 19, 2005
PETALING JAYA
i would suggest to go for a brand new car unless you have something special about the honda ES.

an used car will usually require attention and that will be time consuming as you will have to spend time at the garage. ensure to look out for something liked by you in most aspects if not all

zerotian

Sep 23, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Good thing must grab fast. If after a while still not sold, can bargain further....hahahaha:biggrin:
Hahahaha...that's exactly what im thinking...hoping that he would lower the price somehow....but still worry to lost the deal....and that exactly what happen...some1 took it faster than me....(as i'm unsure myself about buying an old car)...

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
if i were u with that budget i would go for new cars. used car interest rate much higher than a new car.. and also another thing is maintanance for wear & tear. if buy from used car dealer it is much of a gamble and most of the time if u dont check properly, sure got issues with the car. if buy from private seller still not as bad from used car dealer.

if u going for used car, make sure to check the background of the car (saman etc etc) and also to bring along an expert to help look at it. also check the bumpers and the chassis of the car near the bumper lining to see if got any signs of repair, maybe got accident bfor etc etc

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
if i were u with that budget i would go for new cars. used car interest rate much higher than a new car.. and also another thing is maintanance for wear & tear. if buy from used car dealer it is much of a gamble and most of the time if u dont check properly, sure got issues with the car. if buy from private seller still not as bad from used car dealer.

if u going for used car, make sure to check the background of the car (saman etc etc) and also to bring along an expert to help look at it. also check the bumpers and the chassis of the car near the bumper lining to see if got any signs of repair, maybe got accident bfor etc etc
Yup, old car engine can repair or replace. If accident before, how repair also is accident car....:banghead:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ya, as long chassis still okay no damage should be okay, 2nd hand car if too perfect, is just too
good to be true. Can't judge the car by its body condition only.

Mine, got accident before, but should be minor on bumper and doors.
Signs of respray and car paint is good condition like new. Just some minor scratches.

So far already spend around 2K to replaced some old/faulty parts, tyres are one of them.
You can get good advice on buying 2nd hand cars in Motor Trader magazine. You can
read it through before deciding to go ahead with 2nd hand cars.

Things that we should know when dealing with 2nd hand car dealers or when buying 2nd
hand car. Interest is higher for sure and loan is harder to get nowadays since bank
are getting stricter in loans.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The all new Tiguan is now here in Malaysia. Just launched today by VPCM, this well loved SUV will be priced at RM148,990 for the Comfortline and RM168,990 for the Highline

The Tiguan, since inception has sold over 2.8million units globally. Since then VW has redefined everything from designs to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience