mr2 suspension stock doesnt fit

graham_flag

Known Member
Feb 13, 2009
hey guys,
just bought 17" rims and found out it didnt really favour the stock suspension as my front right wheel has approx less than 1mm gap (trust me im an engineer =p) between the wheel and the suspension dish(i dont know the name of the thing but it looks like a dish, probably you guys know better)..so i am considering these options:

1. buy apexi suspension from mudah (from dominic)..it costs me huge since i just started working few months ago..still, i have to estimate the labour cost ughhh...

2. ask mechanic to 'bend' (or ketuk sikit laaa) the dish, so that the gap become larger (is this feasible and practical?)..this is because my front left wheel is just fine, gap about less than 2mm..so i am a little bit curious why the right front absorber is "NG"

3. buy new tyre with less ratio??? (NO!!money again...huhu)

i know dominic is here but i dont his nickname....but i hope that somebody can guide me..
btw also need some help in repairing t-top leak (typical eh =p)

thanks!!!!

Last edited:

graham_flag

Known Member
Feb 13, 2009
btw here is some illustration to clarify what i mean by 'dish' hahaha

in addition, i would prefer not to use spacer, but will consider as super duper last resort...

Attachments

tom's

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
subang
www.zerotohundred.com
dominic & micmr2 is totally diff fella.....

it is either change suspension or tyres.....right tyre size for mr2 front on 17 is 215/40/17, rear 235/40/17....

graham_flag

Known Member
Feb 13, 2009
owh thanks for the info
currently im running rear 215/50/17 and front 215/45/17...rear tyres seem fine but is there anything i could do for front absorber rather than getting a new pair of tyres? ketuk2 tak bole ka since front left is ok?
or perhaps any suggestions for better options?
regarding the "right tyre size for mr2 front on 17 is 215/40/17, rear 235/40/17"..it is on stock suspension or general rule of thumb on whatever adjustable absorbers i have?
where can i get that info?

cheers!thanks alot!

Last edited:

iexit

1,500 RPM
Aug 18, 2005
Selangor
iexit.multiply.com
Never compromise for this kind of things… get a better offset rims. Run a search for the MR2 proper offset, worse case use a spacer, but in my opinion never ketuk anything, not a good long term solution.

Apexi or other after market shocks have smaller shock tower (or whatever u call it – where the spring sits) but they have a thicker body then OEM. So make sure the fit is right before committing.

Also your tire height is wrong… like TOM’s mention you need a lower profile.

soff

Known Member
Nov 13, 2005
All the sifus have advised best heed them. Your rims/tyres is the cause of your problem, why ketuk something that's right to fix something else that is wrong:bawling:

graham_flag

Known Member
Feb 13, 2009
thanks sifus!
its a good thing when you have people to guide you..

btw regarding all those advice;
1. so it means that changing my tyre to profile 40 is the cheapest option, isnt it? or you guys do recommend changing the whole rims because of the offset?
2. i measured the gap between front right wheel-absorber dish and its about 1.0-1.1mm & the left wheel is about 2.0mm(i have thickness gauges hehe)..in short term can i bend the absorber dish for additional 0.5mm? well i am not a boy racer type of guy and my driving not that aggressive, often cruising at 100-110kmh..long term still considering adjustable tho...just a matter of money
3. thanks for telling me right and wrong, really appreciate that..btw i will be much grateful if i would know the possible consequences if i stick with this kinda setup..

thanks alot sifus!!

graham_flag

Known Member
Feb 13, 2009
hahaha ok2 got it..been asking around the consequences
btw..how about item 1? which one do you recommend?
cheers!

tom's

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
subang
www.zerotohundred.com
normally it won't rub if it not rubbing now......coz tyre flex at the bottom not the top of the tyres

graham_flag

Known Member
Feb 13, 2009
thanks tom..
nevertheless i should change the tyre asap..btw, for the short term countermeasure, i have decreased the tyre air pressure to 28psi, hoping it will decrease the possibility of rubbing..
thanks again for your advice...hmm tom, if you dont mind, feel free to add additional info and precaution since it probably a good thing to learn since i'm new in mr2-ing hehe..
cheers

Last edited:

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
cheapest solution... get a good brand of spacer . if u need to clear 0.5 - 1 inch, use spacer that have studs

khoo198

1,500 RPM
Feb 11, 2009
N9
..........learn many knwledge frm sifu's here.....................

iexit

1,500 RPM
Aug 18, 2005
Selangor
iexit.multiply.com
cheapest solution... get a good brand of spacer . if u need to clear 0.5 - 1 inch, use spacer that have studs
I think his issue is with the top not the shock tube.. But maybe the spacer will move the tire/rim to a more safe distance. Worth trying, just take another peek and see if spacers will help.

graham_flag

Known Member
Feb 13, 2009
heheh thanks guys..
finally decided to change front to 215/40/17 but only this option i got:
Falken ST115 - RM350 @ hupshun Sunway
any existing brands that i could compare with?
or should i consider 205/40/17 since the options are much to be considered

cheers

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

i'm planning to get an airtrek as my 2nd car but i worry bout the spare parts and problem coz the car i'm looking at is 9yrs old. Airtrek is my favourite, therefore i'm only be able to afford it now. Can anyone give advice? Thank you.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience