MPT Super Time Attack With HKS CT230R in Sepang Circuit Malaysia

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

MPT Super Time Attack Sepang 2007
While most Singaporeans were stuck in peak-hour traffic on their way to work on a Monday morning, some 72 car drivers from Singapore were gearing up for the ride of their lives at Sepang International Circuit in Malaysia.

Photos: Tom Goh
Text: Lim Han Ming
Source: The Electric New Paper

These motor car enthusiasts eventually made the 300km trip across the Causeway to take part in the MPT Super Time Attack 2007 organised by MPT Motor Trading last Monday.
As early as 7am, the cars streamed in for the time trial - a non-competitive race which allows participants to clock their best lap timings within a standard race circuit environment.

The cars, ranging from the top-of-the-range Porsche GT-3 to the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution to the modest Suzuki Swift, were classified into four main groups - Normal Aspirated (N.A.), Turbo, Kit Car and Auto Car.
They were then further divided into sub-categories such as road tyres, semi-slick tyres and slick tyres.

Each driver was given four laps in the 5.543km circuit of which two laps counted for the actual best time tacking.
The hot favourite was Singapore's most accomplished racing car driver Denis Lian.

Video of the Awesome CT230R
Sponsored by Swiss private bank Bank Julius Baer, the 36-year-old was the envy of many when he rolled out in the Lotus Exige 300RR - the only one of its kind in the world.
Two years ago, the Lotus Exige 300RR won the Merdeka Millennium Endurance - a gruelling, non-stop 12-hour race - by clocking the fastest qualifying time and completing 279 laps, the most ever in the history of the competition.

'I think having a permanent track in Singapore is definitely a good thing,' said Lian, who was the first Singaporean to win an international motorsport title - in the Asian Formula 2000 series in 2002.
'If we can have so many golf courses in Singapore, there's no excuse that we don't have the land for a race track.

'This event is a perfect example why we should build a permanent track. Every single car here is a Singapore car. What's more, the event is held on a Monday.
'Each person would have spent an average of RM$1,000 ($440)on entry fees, food, accommodation, petrol and toll charges on this trip.

'Basically, that's money drained out of our country. So, it makes a lot of sense to build a permanent track.'

Koh Aik Leong, the managing director of event organisers MPT Motor Trading, told The New Paper that it cost RM$45,000 to rent the Sepang International Circuit.

And he had to make the booking as early as December last year. That is why he is all for the idea of building a permanent track in Singapore.

Koh said: 'This is something which we have aimed for for years. The number of car clubs is increasing and more and more people are into motor racing now.

'Having a permanent track will also make things easier for event organisers like us. The Sepang circuit is fully booked around the year. I'm sure if Singapore builds a track, it can be just as successful as Sepang.'

A check revealed that the drivers, mostly in their 20s and 30s, were from garages in Singapore and established car clubs such as SG Trackies and Traction Circle Club.

While most of them are seasoned racers, the time attack was a baptism of fire for Austin Prakesh.
Driving a light-blue Lotus Elise, the 31-year-old businessman did well to come in fourth in the N.A./street tyre category with a time of 3min 21.128sec.

He told The New Paper: 'I have never done this before. I'm more into bike racing. It was a good experience.'

While Prakesh spent about $70,000 modifying his $150,000 Lotus Elise, there were others who would not break the bank to pursue their passion.

Video of the R3 Lotus Exige 300RR Drive By
Mark Joseph, a 30-year-old senior technician with the Republic of Singapore Air Force, spent only $6,000 tranforming his one-year-old red Suzuki Swift into a mean driving machine

When asked about Singapore building a permanent track, Joseph, who drove up to Sepang at 3am, said: 'I think it's long overdue. Instead of spending money here, we should be contributing to our own economy.

'Every week, we have more than 70 cars going into Malaysia to race.
'The motor sport fraternity in Singapore is growing by the day. It is a win-win situation for everybody.'
Expatriates such as James Fancourt Mitchell also made the trip up north.

The executive director of business technology at Bank Julius Baer drove up to Sepang in his Subaru WRX STI but took part in the Time Attack in a Lotus Elise, courtesy of Proton.

He is spending another $120,000 on a Mitsubishi EVO9 specifically built for circuit racing.

He said: 'I know of five or six other expats who are into motor racing.
'It's better to do this on a proper track than on the roads in Singapore.

'And knowing how the Singapore Government do things, I'm sure they can built a fantastic track.'
While the drivers scorched the track at an average speed of 200km/h, the organisers made sure that the safety aspects were not compromised.

The drivers had to attend a safety brief before the start of the time trial. Overtaking was strictly prohibited and there was a 30-second interval between every car to prevent any accident.

To spice up things, the organisers offered car products worth $18,000 for anyone who could better the best-lap time set by Japan's Nobuteru Taniguchi in his awesome CT-230R Mitsubishi Evolution.
The Japanese is one of the most skilful drift drivers in the world.

Unfortunately, his full carbon-fibre machine encountered a technical fault during a practice session in the morning. As a result, the HKS Challenge had to be cancelled.

That paved the way for Lian and his Lotus Exige to take centrestage.
The deadly combination was clearly a cut above the rest as Lian obliterated the field with his best lap time of 2 min 12.875 sec.

The skies opened up in the afternoon but that failed to dampen the spirits of the drivers. If anything, the entire event reflected the passion of the local motor sport fraternity.

As Lian aptly put it: 'We have the talent and passion. But what we need is a venue.

'It's the same thing as training our national swimmers. We can't expect to produce champions if we train them in a bath tub, can we?'

CT230-R Spec sheet
Engine
: HKS 63L 4G63
Displacement: 2.3L
Max Horsepower: 560 PS
Max Torque: 65 kgf-m
Turbine: HKS GT3037S 56T A/R0.87
Wastegate: HKS GTII
Camshaft: HKS IN272/EX272
Piston: HKS Forged Ni Plating Prototype
Crankshaft: HKS Forged Full Counter Prototype
Connecting Rod: HKS H-Beam Prototype
Injector: HKS 820 x 4 Prototype
Clutch: HKS GD-Pro (SPL)
Transmission: HKS Dog Type
Exhaust Manifold: HKS SUS SPL
Intercooler: HKS S-TYPE
ECU: HKS F-CON V Pro
Boost Controller: HKS EVC
Meter: HKS DB Meter, RS Temperature, Oil Pressure
Tyres: Yokohama A048 F265/35-18 R265/35-18
Brake Caliper: Endless F Racing 6 R 4pot
Brake Pad: Endless MA22B
Seat: Bride Zeta CFRP

Last edited:

ataro_gozambo

Known Member
Jan 6, 2005
Dream of Sepang Time Attack with all the cars participate in Tsukuba Time Attack.

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
what did tengku djan drive on the track?is it the satria neo?yeah lor.....no result
meh bro tom???

skyancient

Known Member
Mar 10, 2005
wtf~~!! they use "Umbrella" to support the bonet~!! haha but is kinda interesting :P

spykey

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2006
e yoong s13 also there.he did time attack too?any info?

spykey

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2006
i guess its min not sec..
sorry samuel...hehehe good info u got
ku djan also got time attack?

Samuel Takumi

Known Member
Dec 17, 2004
JB
www.voltzers.rules.it
i guess its min not sec..
sorry samuel...hehehe good info u got
ku djan also got time attack?

oops, my mistake
i just edit my post already
thank for your remind:regular_smile:

T.Djan i don't know got try or not, i also at there on that day
but i saw T.Djan chatting with R3 crew in the pitland

Last edited:

spykey

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2006
must be many r3 car rite?saw on sunday they heading to sepang with 2 trailer loadded with r3 cars..must be djan one of the driver.
btw,were u also did time attack bro?

simonchangwaimun

1,500 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
Cheras
teamshadowrider.multiply.com
damn
didn't know abbout it
i wanted to see NOB and his car!
urgh!!!

simonchangwaimun

1,500 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
Cheras
teamshadowrider.multiply.com
SHIT!!!
jealousnyer aku!!
RK,how did u know about this event?
damn...
samore can put hand over his shouder!
i wantefd his autpograph1

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hye guys, im new here..hehe
just want to get some info bout the defrent between crossmember and subframe. because if want to transplant a myvi engine to kelisa engine bay will required to use storia or yrv subframe\crossmember rite?....den wats the defrent between kelisa and yrv\storia subframe\crossmember....very appreciated if could giv a details bout this....thanks...hehe
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience