Modifying ori. intercoolers

lekalo

500 RPM
Mar 4, 2004
TTDI
Visit site
Hai geng.. this point was stressed to me the other day. Dunno, sounds good, but in THEORY, how does it work? A question that those knowledgeable on turbo applications are most invited to answer / comment. May want to do this....

The other day I was telling my mechanic that I want to find EVO3 and above punya intercooler if I were to get another turbocharger upgrade.
He said FOR WHAT... says he: change bigger turbo also just keep my stock RS intercooler enough. :o
Then I said FOR WHAT... Cooling efficiency how? Bigger turbo = more pressureised heated air.
He shook his head and just said CAN, BUT NOT NECESSARY. JUST MODIFY THE END TANKS, LIKE THIS EXAMPLE..(points to a wira that did it). It looks kemas n stuff, and different from the other side.

:blink: CAN MEHHH??? how would this work? I dunno how this will help. Need more opinions from 3rd, 4th, 5th, 100th parties.

lekalo

500 RPM
Mar 4, 2004
TTDI
Visit site
ALAHAI... sikit sangat laa....

yes, but I am looking for the reason to how this will work.
Like for example u say so and so intercooler can support up to xxxhp max.
So what can modifying the end tanks do? What do they do to modify this infernal 'end-tank'...
konpius.

vestax

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Damansara Heigh
www.fivio.com
Originally posted by Saga Continue@Jul 5 2004, 03:26 PM
donno dude...but i herd rs i/c is goodup to 250 horsie
good up to 250hp only ? but factory claim the car is having 240hp aready , anyway its not about how many horse power you , its more towards how much boost are you boosting , higher boost = higher temp .

flamefox850

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Pasir Mas
www.geocities.com
first of all...what's ur target ? what's ur boost target? then u can decide how big ur turbo and intercooler. if standard boost than no need big ic and big turbo..they'll cause u lag. but if u aim for high boost then lag is not a problem anymore. u will encounter lag with ur high boost and high hp.
big turbo = less heat generate but takes time to spool = big hp for same boost = high boost can achieve
big intercooler = lag = cooler air = generate much more hp with high boost

rather than evo3's intercooler...why not getting second hand aftermarket intercooler like Blitz, Thrust or ARC ? choose bar and plate type and with big bars (batang besar) B)

ezwong : yeah...that's end tank...and i dun think modifying end tank can gives u more hp

GSR5559

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
www.zerotohundred.com
dude lekalo: my vr4 intercooler oso waas customized...previously the intercooler was using the evo piping style but i dun like it..veri far and complicated air flow..so they cover the hole and make another hole at the end tank..i think ur mechs modfy means the end tank cut and change to a bigger hole : eg: ur using 2" intercooler piping but they will cut it and change it to a hole of 3" piping..and i dun think they will change the fins..the middle part one..so i guess oni the left and the right hole will be cut and replace wif a bigger hole for bigger diameter piping..
why dun u go custom-made i/c..sum of my frens they custom i/c ..
damn nice..fins all new and the end tank is chrome colour..sumore i think its cheaper and the size is damn huge and garang den those evo intercooler which is oredi 2nd hand//
about the price im not sure but mebi roughly around the same as evos one.

simonchangwaimun

1,500 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
Cheras
teamshadowrider.multiply.com
remember..with great horsepower comes great responsibilities..

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Those custom intercooler, do they work just as good as those Jap made intercoolers? You know la, Malaysian made... the joints between the fins and the bars dunno good or not...

lekalo

500 RPM
Mar 4, 2004
TTDI
Visit site
Yeah, I've thought of going to the custom shops, eg. fidelity radcore... read of their services in MotorTrader last time I think. But I also heard the prices are rather exorbitant. Dunno. but quite worth it coz everything is super brand new.

yes ezwong, those are the end-tanks.

Going for aftermarket intercoolers sound good too, cept that scared they require gila potong here and there to the bumper until super cacat.

My target is probably a BIGger turbo, but donno yet.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear sifus,

need some advise on my problem. when d car stationary, i rev high and it jerks/hesitate on going high between 5800 to 6000 rpm. on 5th gear rpm at 2000, try full throttle and the car tends to jerk, even in high corner it jerks a bit.

today, on the way to work, 5th gear rev to 3000 seems like no power but i do smell petrol so cud it be to much gas or am i running lean. recently when i check on d plug, it looks black & dry.

wats goin on in the engine? need help badly. hope...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience