Migrate from NT4 to Server 2003

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
dear all,

I have a old server that is running NT4.0 service pack 5.
I bought a new server with Server 2003 OS, and I would like to migrate to this new server without losing any application in the NT4 server.

Old server harddisk size 10GB and new server harddisk size 36.4GB, both running SCSI harddisk.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

cmng

3,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
the most headache part if you migrate from NT to 2003

Try to work from NT to 2000 then from 2000 to 2003
it easy comparing to NT to 2003

Hock

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
yah..................its better.

But correct me if i;m wrong. U need to upgrade ur sp5 to sp6 1st b4 migrate to w2k. Pls consider what Raid r u running in ur old server. Then r u going to use back the same RAID in ur new server?

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
my old server not using any RAID system, but new server YES!!

My old server is Pentium II 350MHz, I am afraid that if I update it to SP6 then cannot run, because I know some Microsoft updates actually for Pentium IV and above.

Thank you and best regards

miqveh

Dec 12, 2003
To migrate from Win NT to Win2003 is quiet simple. Please go to the microsoft site and check out the ADMT thingy. ADMT or the Active Directory Migration Tool is designed to move from an older domain controller to a win 2003 domain controller. It works (the number of times I tried was two out of three, not 100% of course). What happens is that the ADMT moves the entire account database from Win NT to Windows 2003 INCLUDING the passwords. So if you want to you can check it out at :

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...ads/w2kadmt.asp

But please DO NOT FORGET to do backup first before you do this procedure. Nothing is 100%, especially for Windows (ahem). So you will have one old machine (your Win NT) and another machine (running Win 2003) to connect to your Win NT. Once that is done, follow the procedures to use the ADMT.

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
first of all, thank you for all reply. Thank you for your kindness.

miqveh, I am having problem with the migration of the whole OS and not the accounts database.

My old NT4 harddisk totally cannot run or even boot up in the new Server! it say SCSI error and UNACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE.

cmng

3,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by miqveh@Dec 31 2003, 08:42 AM
To migrate from Win NT to Win2003 is quiet simple. Please go to the microsoft site and check out the ADMT thingy. ADMT or the Active Directory Migration Tool is designed to move from an older domain controller to a win 2003 domain controller. It works (the number of times I tried was two out of three, not 100% of course). What happens is that the ADMT moves the entire account database from Win NT to Windows 2003 INCLUDING the passwords. So if you want to you can check it out at :

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...ads/w2kadmt.asp

But please DO NOT FORGET to do backup first before you do this procedure. Nothing is 100%, especially for Windows (ahem). So you will have one old machine (your Win NT) and another machine (running Win 2003) to connect to your Win NT. Once that is done, follow the procedures to use the ADMT.
miqveh

that ADMT applicable to win 2000 only
not 2003.

That why i suggest NT to 2000 then to 2003.

use the ADMT migrate everything
then create active directory

Then upgrading 2000 to 2003 is more easier

Less headache since NT to 2003 really headache
:)

devil

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by jedi@Dec 31 2003, 12:08 PM
first of all, thank you for all reply. Thank you for your kindness.

miqveh, I am having problem with the migration of the whole OS and not the accounts database.

My old NT4 harddisk totally cannot run or even boot up in the new Server! it say SCSI error and UNACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE.

Is this problem only occur after you have performing some sort of SP patch?
I experience it once when I attempts to patch a NT server, it prompt me to over write existing SCSI driver and my hand faster then my mind n click yes and wala! reinstall whole damn thing ..

Maybe u put the 2003 as part of ur existing domain, downgrade the NT4 later but if you mentioned you are unable to access the NT4, then how are you going to migrate it ? if solely based on data in the hard disk, I guess is a bit tough to work thing around.

Bert

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Muddy Delta
Visit site
Ooo.. painful work cut out for you devil.

Is your NT4 a DC? If so, more headaches.

I would recommend the best way to move everythign over is to backup the entire HDD and then restore it over to the new server.

Depending on what sofftware you are running, it could be a bit more difficult.

Reinstall all S/W and move the data files over would be the best solution.

devil

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
bert,

Not my problem lah . hehehe.. i m refer to Jedi's issue.

miqveh

Dec 12, 2003
No sweat guys...that's what's its all about... learning...and learning together

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
but bro,

my problem now is the entire OS and not the accounts database only.

Can anyone tells me roughly step by step how to do this migration?

Thanks a lot!

devil

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Jedi,

Just need some clarification, is ur NT4 server still alive or it was down with the scsi boot up error ?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just last week, the new Ford Mustang made official launch in Malaysia after its first public preview last year. Generating quite a buzz of late, this new, all-American Mustang has got Malaysians talking - primarily on pricing and practicality.

We figured it'd be wise to share what we found, so here are 7 quick facts about the 6th Gen Ford Mustang you need to know...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience