Mazda 2 : radiator water

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
hello there,

just wondering for mazda 2, do we need to flush all the water in the radiator and replace with new water ?

if yes, how many KM do once ?

Thank you.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Can't really give a interval of time. Different cars, diff. usage, diff. type of coolant, diff manufacturers would specify differently of the flushing period. Best to refer to service manual, or call up the service centre.

Off-hand, the radiator should be flushed and recharged with new fluids after 2-3 years.
Flushing is important, as the chemical in the coolant will expire after a being used for long period of time. In other words, the coolant will lose its properties to carry heat, lubricate, prevent rust, etc...

HTH

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Coolant is cheap.
i just replace coolant on my engine every 40k km.
last time 20k km as driving style is agressive.

can really feel the different esp the way the engine run.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If new car, original coolant can last a long time. I usually look at the coolant color. Once the color fade or disappear (turn clear) it is time to flush and add new coolant. My new car 5 years already, still ok. My old cars also I do the same, look at coolant color, but old car the color fade earlier . Usually 1 to 2 years only.

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
but if i am not wrong, i saw a sticker on the radiator says "no coolant"

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
sure?? No coolant?

Jedi, please post a picture of that sticker. I want to see if this is correct.
I very am curious to find out what Mazda runs on, but coolant.

jedi

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
sure?? No coolant?

Jedi, please post a picture of that sticker. I want to see if this is correct.
I very am curious to find out what Mazda runs on, but coolant.
I believe what they meant by coolant could be those chemical colored coolant that we buy from spare part shop.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I believe what they meant by coolant could be those chemical colored coolant that we buy from spare part shop.
Coolant is coolant whether from spare part shop or from Mazda SC, unless they are using something else. I know cold countries they use anti freeze....:driver:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Technically, water can be coolant too....or any liquid so long as it has properties to absorb heat, dissipate heat....
Water will boil at 100C, while chemical coolant modified the properties of water, and raised the boiling point...this is works for radiator sys.

My unker fill his car radiator with tap water only. No added coolant, whatsoever. Everything goes well with his car, except rusty water. Anyway, the car is already 30 years old....so he didn't care much...

Running just water in radiator may not be a good idea, esp in hot weather in Malaysia..

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Technically, water can be coolant too....or any liquid so long as it has properties to absorb heat, dissipate heat....
Water will boil at 100C, while chemical coolant modified the properties of water, and raised the boiling point...this is works for radiator sys.

My unker fill his car radiator with tap water only. No added coolant, whatsoever. Everything goes well with his car, except rusty water. Anyway, the car is already 30 years old....so he didn't care much...

Running just water in radiator may not be a good idea, esp in hot weather in Malaysia..
Actually water dissipate heat very well. We actually add coolant because it helps lubricate the water pump as well as keep the iron parts from rusting.
Water in the radiator is also under pressure therefore the boiling point actually becomes higher.:driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

OK, I decide to remove the air box and just go with an open pod. The longer pipe really boost low RPM torque while retaining high end flow. Have yet to insulate the pipe so it gets hot. Going to get some ceramic fiber wrap to insulate it.

I have remove the fog lamp and the hole is used for the air intake for the open pod.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience