Matt paint maintenance

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi detailing gurus, apprentices and soon to be sifus,

Before I proceed with my upcoming paint project I'd like to get your opinion on how best to maintain a matt painted car.

I'm looking to matt-paint my car dark green and have one bright (metallic/shiny) red stripe for the whole length of the car on both sides.

- Whats the process to maintain matt paint?
- How do I maintain both matt and metallic paint on the same car?
- If I opt to use stickers instead of paint (for the red stripe) how do I maintain the paint and the sticker?

Your feedback / advise please.

fishbonezken

Feb 13, 2006
I'm no sifu and only got very limited experience with matt paint but here is my opinion.

You can only wash and wax it, strictly NO polishing.
Any form of polishing (with abrasives), will make the paint shiny. You also have to be careful with the type of wax you use since many waxes contain polishing agents(chemical cleaners, abrasives, etc.).

You can probably use waxes like Opt Car Wax since it is a spray and wipe product, have also seen coatings being applied to it but I it will slightly change the looks of the car under lighting, under natural light it will look pretty much the same.

Some matt paint products:
SWISSVAX Matte Paint Products

If got stain, you can't polish, only have to clean it using chemicals (glass cleaner,all purpose cleaner, etc.). No polishing...ugh...

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
its nice to look at but hard to take care.....scratches everywhere...

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
but when its on the road....its superb...so consider again ya...

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
Hi buddy
its simple as 123 ABC XYZ

in the hands of amatures, which lai did for HIN

paint cleaning - matt paint or vinyl Sticker on paint

OPC the magic portion & HERO who cleans all this delicate paint

ta da

the ride went in the rain to EXHIBITION

the problem with show Cars is....lot of butt on your hood & lots of finger print on the paint....i guess everyone and all people like to feel...

I had to Detail 12 rides in the next 3 hours all alone

but the results
tada

all possible help ONR or Opti clean & protection with OOS

ta da

the crowd roar

side looks

up look

rear look

darker matt makes it worst to clean, so much finger print marks......quite impossible to wipe away & so easy to be threathen

audi

it is so easy, effortless & effective

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
Only OPC is used to clean a matt car? Uh..
yes buddy
that is not just a show car but also a track car

you know the teasure it picked along the way, plenty of tars......oily films, grease....and finger print on a lighter matt......

you can use normal shampoo but you cant get ride of the dirt.....degreaser & super degreaser is far too strong & aggressive

dilute OPC 1:8 part water..rinse off the car ...wash with it & TADA

OPC is the only cleaner that is so strong till degrease engine & yet so gentle for leathers

PLS do not wax yr matt paint..else you will get a hard time cleaning the carnuba residue

...just apply Optiseal - 10 minutes (whole entire car icluding yr windows glass plastic parts, head lamp against the harsh UV & heat)

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Both a good friend and I both have matte paint cars and we both wash cars at the petrol station down the road. Costs RM9 if you don't want them to vacuum inside. I wash mine once a month, my friend probably at most a couple times more than I do. Definitely I'm not a potential client for auto detailers haha.

My advice - Go ahead with paint job if its an important aspect of the project car in order to complete the look.

Attachments

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I'm no sifu and only got very limited experience with matt paint but here is my opinion.

You can only wash and wax it, strictly NO polishing.
Any form of polishing (with abrasives), will make the paint shiny. You also have to be careful with the type of wax you use since many waxes contain polishing agents(chemical cleaners, abrasives, etc.).

You can probably use waxes like Opt Car Wax since it is a spray and wipe product, have also seen coatings being applied to it but I it will slightly change the looks of the car under lighting, under natural light it will look pretty much the same.

Some matt paint products:
SWISSVAX Matte Paint Products

If got stain, you can't polish, only have to clean it using chemicals (glass cleaner,all purpose cleaner, etc.). No polishing...ugh...
yes buddy
that is not just a show car but also a track car

you know the teasure it picked along the way, plenty of tars......oily films, grease....and finger print on a lighter matt......

you can use normal shampoo but you cant get ride of the dirt.....degreaser & super degreaser is far too strong & aggressive

dilute OPC 1:8 part water..rinse off the car ...wash with it & TADA

OPC is the only cleaner that is so strong till degrease engine & yet so gentle for leathers

PLS do not wax yr matt paint..else you will get a hard time cleaning the carnuba residue

...just apply Optiseal - 10 minutes (whole entire car icluding yr windows glass plastic parts, head lamp against the harsh UV & heat)
Thank you KC and Fishbonez. I think many of us can benefit from this as most don't know about matt paint.

[PIMPIN];1063855371 said:
Both a good friend and I both have matte paint cars and we both wash cars at the petrol station down the road. Costs RM9 if you don't want them to vacuum inside. I wash mine once a month, my friend probably at most a couple times more than I do. Definitely I'm not a potential client for auto detailers haha.

My advice - Go ahead with paint job if its an important aspect of the project car in order to complete the look.
Haha Pimpin... U are hardcore power guy mah... Engine matters!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

When i switch on the aircond y got the sound like blowing wisel but not that loud y huh??Anyone can help for giving me some info?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience