LSD servicing after drift

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
It might help to check out Accoustic's website as me thinks there is an article about lsd rebuild.

sexycar

4,000 RPM
Feb 10, 2004
©ït¥ ðf Thïêvê§
Visit site
thats like a total rebuild... anyway how should an lsd be service?
i mean like whats the process like & which workshop can do it
well in Klang Valley?

.S K A G E E.

500 RPM
Mar 12, 2004
Hi Sexycar,

Its good to hear that you are concerned about the up keep of your car. And its understandably so, as the AE86 is a dream car to own for alot of us here and we would also do the same if we were lucky enough to own one.

However, I suspect the reason for the lack of response to your question is because of its vague nature:

1) What do you mean stock LSD? or rather, Does it actually have an LSD? I'm most probably wrong but aren't most stock AE86 come with an open diff? Even if it does , you would need to identify what kind it is to enable us to estimate the cost of the repair/overhaul as a) Multi plate (clutch)= plates needs to be replaced B) Torsen= worm gears to be replaced c) Viscous= can't be repaired

2) What is wrong with it? I'm a firm believer in the saying of " if it ain't broken, don't try to fix it" . Normal fluid change would be good enough in this application . Bewarned that the fluid in the diff should not be discolored ( like your engine oil) which is an indication of a bad diff. The fluid that you are about to change should look like new. Just keep it in the within the recommended interval oil change and use the best synthetic you could find. I would go for a thicker viscosity. like 180 for added " protection"

However, if you still need a budget to work on or if you do find out that you have a bad diff , I would recommend that you go for an aftermarket item, which I was told is rare and expensive; expect to pay between RM1.5-2.5K for a used item

leviathan

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
selangor
Visit site
first of all.... for ae86 some have some don't have LSD. check the firewall plate there's a code for cars fitted with an LSD, can't quite remember... it'll say something like T-282 or T-272, check the 4ag club forum for details.

stock LSD for ae86 is a clutch type, can service and repair. look up acoustics website for details. he knows the part numbers to order from toyota. a repair kit for stock LSD costs about RM500 bucks, how much the mech charge you for workmanship i don't know la, also depends if he wanna open up your diff or not... most of them will just ask you to change rear axle for around 800 bucks.

DoNuT

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
www.drifthouse.net
errrr you all want my suggestion on LSD.. and how my LSD works..?? errr hehehe better not skagee will shoot me big time.

skagee : oh yeah i still owe you bumper ler.. sigh. not fit too work lately lung infection hehehe. anyway will get that done soon.

auxoura

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
HEy hey...i heard the rear lsd when assembling you need a pressure gauge or something so that the lsd will not have soo much sound...i heard this from somewhere but not too sure...

also i wanna ask, my rear axle when driving got a "eeEEeEEEeeeee" sound. wonder if anyone is familiar with this...

i wanna know if its my final drive or lsd? different people say different so is there any way of determining it other then just swapping it or overhauling the lsd? thanks

auxoura

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
I've changed it a couple of times already and no difference. Ive tried tightenin it and its the same....just wondered if anyone encountered the same problem and would know a soluition.

leviathan

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
selangor
Visit site
Originally posted by auxoura@Dec 20 2004, 20:30
also i wanna ask, my rear axle when driving got a "eeEEeEEEeeeee" sound. wonder if anyone is familiar with this...
me thinks that is LSD sound... couple of friends experience before.... they say no cure wan wor... actually got cure check out acoustics site for more details

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
Originally posted by sexycar@Oct 10 2004, 09:30
hello... anyone know of any good workshop in klang valley that
can overhaul/service rear LSD & how much would it roughly cost? :lol:
The AE86 stock LSD overhaul / rebuilt kit cost RM436 direct from UMW Toyota and wait 2 months to arrive.

I've got a set for sale at RM436 with original receipts (NEW) no need to wait 2 months.

My mechanic will do it for you, labour RM300, including normal LSD oil. I recommend you bring your own LSD oil, preferably fully synthetics.

The workshop is at Damansara Uptown. I'll help you oversee the rebuilt process if required. Torque wrench will be used according to AE86 rear axle rebuilt specifications.

Please see http://www.my-acoustic.com/Car/Rear_Axle/L...LSD_Rebuilt.htm

A Post Every 5 Mins

heyya fella, wanna ask all sifus or members here...!! and wanna share knowledge from u guys and sifu's tooo.... my question is, do vehicle with turbo engine but an automatic transmission vehicles need to put BOV?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience