LSD Gearbox..Share Your Real-time Experience Here. Comments Also

Cheong Mou Kei 4G9XT

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Ampang
www.geocities.com
juz would like to share.....

well if there if FULL LOCK LSD why is it still call LSD...? since it is already FULL LOCK there is no longer need any SLIP DEFERENTIAL rite... n when both wheel is LOCK they suppose to move simutaneously so no DEFERENTIAL involve.

street car dun run FULL LOCK in da matter of fact there is dis thing call POSITIVE DIFERENTIAL o some call it POSITIVE LOCKER but it is oni use in off road 4X4.

lastly would like to say there is no such thing is FULL LOCK LSD oni malaysian has name for thing like dis.....

GT20v

1,500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
There is 2type of LSD in the world.with sub cat below it.

Speed sensing LSD and power sensing LSD.Under speed sensing LSD are viscous LSD,quafe,Eaton Locker, and etc..cant remember already........and under power LSD is clutch,TORSEN type LSD.

What LSd do???Limited Slip differential. like it says la....to limit the slip..in this case is between 2 tyre ether front or back or front-back like in 4wd.

LSD is a very big subject.but once you learn about it you WILL love it!

after reading this thread..there is some misleading info.so i will try to help fellow friend if im wrong.just laugh at me and correct me ,please.:)

LSD is there to help gain traction.imagine 1tyre on dry and another on ice.What will happen???Open diff/non LSD will give more power to the ice part..why??? coz it sense that the tyre dont have enuff traction,so need more power to get it going...hehehh Its correct what?????u hungry,ur mom give you more food to eat,right??? heheh but in LSD case..LSd will sense the tyre that don have enuff power instead giving it to that tyre...LSD give to the either side of the tyre..to get it going..heheh clever right??
So there shud be no people askign the Q..is LSD good for road?? OF COZ!!.....every car shud have a LSD from the factory itself...but what kind of LSD???hehehhe

I always recommend to get a viscous LSD which is a speed sensing LSD.How to know viscous??jack 2 tyre and spin 1 tyre...........what happen?? both tyre rotate in diff way..hehehe u may ask...aiik i tot LSD both tyre in the same direction???heheh read and learn!........for viscous...the feeling can be feel when you ride the car......the harder you speed,the harder the lock will be......thus why u cant feel it on the straight road......but once the LSD sense there is a different between 2 tyre..the LSD will kick in..hard or not depend on the speed!.

hahah type sooo long......ill stop here will continue later.......

ahh btw im using a Viscous LSD in my Seg.....LOVE IT.......regret i didnt buy it 1st instead buy engine 1st....cheh!!

just for info..in term of handling...
LSD is 100% more better than open diff disregard of the LSD type..

vtecer

Jul 28, 2005
Puchong
Hahaha...good info bro! I love it. Good to learn from you. Are you a trainer before???Hehehe...thank you for sharing the tought!! :biggrin:

GT20v

1,500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
not a problem...trainer???no...i need to be trained hehehhehe

aja

4,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2003
GT20v said:

Speed sensing LSD and power sensing LSD.Under speed sensing LSD are viscous LSD,quafe,Eaton Locker, and etc..cant remember already........and under power LSD is clutch,TORSEN type LSD.

What LSd do???Limited Slip differential. like it says la....to limit the slip..in this case is between 2 tyre ether front or back or front-back like in 4wd.

after reading this thread..there is some misleading info.so i will try to help fellow friend if im wrong.just laugh at me and correct me ,please.:)

LSD is there to help gain traction.imagine 1tyre on dry and another on ice.What will happen???Open diff/non LSD will give more power to the ice part..why??? coz it sense that the tyre dont have enuff traction,so need more power to get it going...hehehh Its correct what?????u hungry,ur mom give you more food to eat,right??? heheh but in LSD case..LSd will sense the tyre that don have enuff power instead giving it to that tyre...LSD give to the either side of the tyre..to get it going..heheh clever right??
So there shud be no people askign the Q..is LSD good for road?? OF COZ!!.....every car shud have a LSD from the factory itself...but what kind of LSD???hehehhe

I always recommend to get a viscous LSD which is a speed sensing LSD.How to know viscous??jack 2 tyre and spin 1 tyre...........what happen?? both tyre rotate in diff way..hehehe u may ask...aiik i tot LSD both tyre in the same direction???heheh read and learn!........for viscous...the feeling can be feel when you ride the car......the harder you speed,the harder the lock will be......thus why u cant feel it on the straight road......but once the LSD sense there is a different between 2 tyre..the LSD will kick in..hard or not depend on the speed!.

ahh btw im using a Viscous LSD in my Seg.....LOVE IT.......regret i didnt buy it 1st instead buy engine 1st....cheh!!

That ok for viscous LSD. Very easy to identify. BTW, for Any idea or identical ways on how to test the existance of Torsen or Helical LSD (clutch type LSD)?, since this type of LSD is almost non-identical of it's existance?.

Actually, this the problem that i'm facing now. don't know or can really confirm the existance of such LSD on my car, even though factory-standard did stated so. BTW, both-sided drive-shaft length and size did say so. pening2!!

GT20v

1,500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
aja,

open diff n viscous will exhibit the same identical way to test it....... u dunt really know whats inside there......u have to rely on manufacturer data for that.

another way to test is.......try dump the clutch on standstill.......make sure got tyre mark......usually clutch type will left 2 tyre mark on the road..but not viscous or any speed sensing LSd...remember??it need speed to operate.....

tajulsans

1,000 RPM
Jul 31, 2004
Soo Bang
GT20v said:

This is easy to understand but not exactly correct.. just make a visit to www.howstuffworks.com and search for differential.. the expalination on the site is best to understand its function.. both open diff or LSD.. i dont personally have LSD gearbox though.

aja

4,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2003
GT20v said:
aja,

open diff n viscous will exhibit the same identical way to test it....... u dunt really know whats inside there......u have to rely on manufacturer data for that.

another way to test is.......try dump the clutch on standstill.......make sure got tyre mark......usually clutch type will left 2 tyre mark on the road..but not viscous or any speed sensing LSd...remember??it need speed to operate.....

I think u might be wrong, cause for clutch type, the it's not as identical as viscous one. I've tried to do it with on my car & also other our S'porean same model car previously. It's didn't work at all, cause it's not a full time LSD. I've been told that this LSD type only 'come-out" when car slipping etc.

Now, don't know any other way to check lioa

GT20v

1,500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
tajulsans sifu.....maybe can show where is the wrong part in my post?
i need to learn as well, from a silent sifu like you heheheh

GT20v

1,500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
aja,

come out when slipping?? meaning the car is speeding??viscous?
not a lot of car have clutch type LSD as oem..but alot have viscous LSD as oem......
im sharing only..it is still up to you...:)

aja

4,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2003
GT20v said:
aja,

come out when slipping?? meaning the car is speeding??viscous?
not a lot of car have clutch type LSD as oem..but alot have viscous LSD as oem......
im sharing only..it is still up to you...:)

Yeah, not many car with this clutch type LSD as an OEM standard. Me also pening since then. Anyway, just let it be la. Buat donno jer!!

tajulsans

1,000 RPM
Jul 31, 2004
Soo Bang
well from my limited understanding.. the open diffrential act to supply the same amount of torque to both wheel every time.. when traction on 2 wheels are diff and the amount of torque is same on both wheel , the one with less traction will start to slip.. its like pushing 2 block of stone, one on cement and the other one on ice. if u apply the same amount of force, the one on ice will be faster loh.. its not easy to understand i presume..

in clutch type LSD however, both wheel are always "trying" to match speed, when traction are different on both wheel, the one with less traction will start to slip, the clutch on the other side of wheel (with more traction) will spin at identical speed, the amount of force/grip of the clutch to withstand from spinning is the same amount of power transffered to the wheel with more traction loh..

I'm no sifu.. just sharing something i found on net oni..

jeffblazed

1,000 RPM
Nov 7, 2004
pls help me recomend a type of lsd for my buddy..

car specs....

rwd
390 rwhp
turbo
he likes to corner like mad.....

dean75

Known Member
Nov 10, 2004
Port Dickson
tajulsans said:
well from my limited understanding.. the open diffrential act to supply the same amount of torque to both wheel every time.. when traction on 2 wheels are diff and the amount of torque is same on both wheel , the one with less traction will start to slip.. its like pushing 2 block of stone, one on cement and the other one on ice. if u apply the same amount of force, the one on ice will be faster loh.. its not easy to understand i presume..

in clutch type LSD however, both wheel are always "trying" to match speed, when traction are different on both wheel, the one with less traction will start to slip, the clutch on the other side of wheel (with more traction) will spin at identical speed, the amount of force/grip of the clutch to withstand from spinning is the same amount of power transffered to the wheel with more traction loh..

I'm no sifu.. just sharing something i found on net oni..
Good one Tajul.....I must say that the only way to understand all these is to experience it yourself. From what I understand, it will then reduce the overall speed rite? Ni yang pening ni...( or maybe I confused my ownself ! heh ) One side you dont wanna spin ( less traction ) so the other side will try to match the speed meaning slowing down???? memang susah nak faham....

Last edited:

GT20v

1,500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
thnx bro......well its quite easy to understand......hehehe.......

jeff,
for FR clutch type is good to use..

jimmylim85

500 RPM
Nov 24, 2005
How much is a LSD set for Kancil EX850 cost? how effective is it for my kancil? Thanks.

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
LSD info for Honda B-series owners ----> http://technet.ff-squad.com/how-to/lsdcheck/ :cool:

The car i have was equiped with an LSD since i bought it. So, i dunno the before and after experience. All i know is, the car corners good enough for me. I know its a Gear Type LSD, so cannot "layan" the apex on the tracks too much (like the above article says). :biggrin: Its also bit of a pain to make a U-turn with LSD's, coz the turning radius suffers a bit from the wheels fighting each other during U-turns... :biggrin: but i ain't really complaining...

tajulsans

1,000 RPM
Jul 31, 2004
Soo Bang
dean75 said:
Good one Tajul.....I must say that the only way to understand all these is to experience it yourself. From what I understand, it will then reduce the overall speed rite? Ni yang pening ni...( or maybe I confused my ownself ! heh ) One side you dont wanna spin ( less traction ) so the other side will try to match the speed meaning slowing down???? memang susah nak faham....
hmm, not relly like that lah i think.. the one spinning faster is the one that have less traction, if in open differential then sure lah will be slower, as it is loosing grip on one side.. but when LSD is in place, when one wheel start to slip thus spinning faster, the other wheel will try to match the speed thus i presume it should not loss speed lah..