knife edge crankshaft

SHAZtech

500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
sifus out there!!

i need to know what are the downside to knife edge crankshaft lightening?? better to know the downside first i reckon.and what are the goodsides?? i'm re building my engine,so kinda have this in my list.thanks!!

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
downside, top speed affected. up side, pickup like crazy!!! same effect like lighten flywheel, only the magnitude is amplified...

heefmy

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2004
cheras
u can aska the mech to do lighthen with 60% pickup 40% top speed then ur car top speed will lower but pick will good....but uphill torque will drop for lighten crank....lower FD......internal part lighten already ma.......lighthen n blance ur crank pully also la......will effect lots...do my car for blance n lighten....900

SHAZtech

500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
hey thanks guys for your contributing to my thread.another question is...what about reliabilty?? still considering...wouldnt wanna sacrifice to much on the top end...i wonder how it sync with high cams that optimize at top ends.

SHAZtech

500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
and do u guys have any idea where to have it heat treated (nitride)?? since after trimming and lightening,u already scrap some amount of factory nitride...which in a long run will affect ur engine due to heat abuse.

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
not top end rpm bro, top end meaning top speed. speed will suddenly get "retarded"... top end rpm sure crazy

phantomRX8

Insignificant Fool
Mar 21, 2005
ISS
sifus out there!!

i need to know what are the downside to knife edge crankshaft lightening?? better to know the downside first i reckon.and what are the goodsides?? i'm re building my engine,so kinda have this in my list.thanks!!
bro..from what i've known knife edging of the crankshaft is for lightening purposes and also less windage losses..means that bcoz of we are using wet sump configuration so there will be oil in the sump most of the time unlike dry sump..so they usually knife edged it to make it cut through the oil like knife thru butter..hehe sorta..but downside is other than what the sifus has highlighted, there are also problems of harmonics at high engine speeds..it wud bcome unbalance then the crank might take a "walk" hehe..that's why some tuners like AEBS prefers to have full counter weight just like in F1..just sharing what i've heard..feel free to comment..

4G93GTi-R

Known Member
Aug 20, 2006
sifus out there!!

for turbo engine or n/a ?

SHAZtech

500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
In this thread,its regardless wether turbo or non.but mine is turbocharged.

hahaboy

500 RPM
Mar 25, 2005
carpark
lightening downside or upside , which part is upside and downside. i'm ocnfuse about it. if i wish to improve my pick up what should i do to my crankshaft ?

SHAZtech

500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
Hahaha downside means the badside bro.Stay tuned with this thread,u might be able to pick up some useful tips from sifus here.crankshaft lightening can definitely increase ur torque.

4G93GTi-R

Known Member
Aug 20, 2006
lightening is not for turbo engine..n/a yes good for it..turbo engine just balancing..turbo engine need heavy crank n rod to play hi boost and hp

V8_nutter

500 RPM
Aug 5, 2004
There are a lot of crank cutting design which is good, the normal knife edging, radiused type, bell type & radiused.

1) Knife edge will give you instant pickup but no top speed.

2) Radiused will give you good pickup with top speed

3) Bell type is good for sprinting for the first 3 gear & mid 4th gear only. Then power loss.

I'ts a matter of preference,,,now you can choose your power type guys.

SHAZtech

500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
lightening is not for turbo engine..n/a yes good for it..turbo engine just balancing..turbo engine need heavy crank n rod to play hi boost and hp
the thread is mainly about knife edging,which in a way brings to some sort of trimmings that causes lightening.for turbo applications,u dont actually need heavy conrod and cranks,just solid ones.now u can find billet cranks and rods as an upgrade to forged materials.billet still light but can withstand higher boost and abuse.just my 2cents.

SHAZtech

500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
There are a lot of crank cutting design which is good, the normal knife edging, radiused type, bell type & radiused.

1) Knife edge will give you instant pickup but no top speed.

2) Radiused will give you good pickup with top speed

3) Bell type is good for sprinting for the first 3 gear & mid 4th gear only. Then power loss.

I'ts a matter of preference,,,now you can choose your power type guys.
woww!! great info there mate!! thanks!!

sumimasen

1,000 RPM
Feb 10, 2007