Kazakhstan Transport Minister Goes For A Flying Lap Around Sepang Circuit

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Wednesday, February 22, 2006

KAZAKHSTAN TRANSPORT MINISTER GOES FOR A FLYING LAP AROUND SEPANG CIRCUIT

With plans to build a racing circuit in Kazakhstan, visiting Transport and Communications Minister Askar Mamin today did a flying lap around Sepang F1 Circuit in a Malaysian-made Perdana V6 and took notes on circuit management and race organization in his first visit to a racing track.

Mamin, who is here since yesterday for talks with Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB), said that he hoped to have further talks with Sepang International Circuit (SIC) to share its experience in circuit management and race organization.

“This is my first ever visit to a race track and the first time I drove around a racing circuit. It feels really good and I am very impressed,” said Mamin, who was accompanied by Nigmatulina Malika, who is the Director of the ministry’s Department of Transport Policy and International Cooperation.

“We are currently in discussion with Malaysia Airports to engage their services to manage the Astana International Airport in Kazakhstan and we also hoped to have a racing circuit near the airport. Just like this one,” he added.

The Kazakhstan delegation was taken to an hour-long tour around the circuit by MAHB Senior General Manager Technical Services Datuk Abdul Hamid Mohd Ali, who took them to visit the Media Centre, Race Control Room, the Timing Room, the pits and hospitality suites.

Hamid also explained to them on the returns of investment from the organization of Formula One and its benefits to the nation as a whole and its international impact as well as its contribution to the development of motorsports in Malaysia.

Built on a 90-hectre land and completed in 1998, Sepang F1 Circuit was opened on March 9, 1999 and is managed by SIC, which is a full subsidiary of MAHB. Named as organiser for the Best Formula One race in 1999, SIC also promotes and organizes other international races such as the Japan GT Championship, A1 Grand Prix of Nations, the Malaysian Motorcycle Grand Prix, Formula Nippon and the 12-hour Merdeka Millennium Endurance race.

“I am very impressed with the facilities here and very impressed with what they are doing at the circuit,” the Kazakhstan Minister said.

During his visit, Mamin also had the opportunity to catch some of the Formula BMW Asia and Porsche Carrera Cup Asia drivers testing their machines and had a lengthy briefing of the Porsche GT3 Cup machine and the series by 2004 winner Matthew Marsh.

The two series had been slotted as the support races for the upcoming Formula One Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix, which will be held at Sepang Circuit from 17th to 19th March as Round 2 of the 2006 F1 World Championship.

Regarded as the world’s most prestigious motor racing event and always drawing bids from new hosts, the new Formula One season opens with the Bahrain Grand Prix on March 12 with the teams and drivers traveling to 18 circuits around the globe in their quest to be world champions.

For details, contact the Press Officer Azhar Ghazali at 019-3837865.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Im currently driving an Civic'95 4door.
Old alr here rosak, there need repair. Beh tahan liao.
My current sight is on the Honda Accord '03 pattern la, can get for 6+k

So my budget is for below 70k.
-Family car, so no coupes. i like classy looks yet sporty driving.
-maintainence wise, of course hassle free preferred.
-1600cc to 2000cc the max. need to carry many people, need some power.
-Not for tuning, i need stock power.

Please give me more opinions. other options is welcomed...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience