Is Smart for two worth buying?

raining

Known Member
Oct 7, 2006
kuala lumpur
Hello guys,i'm planning on buying a smart for two. I have currently owned a few cars,but planning to sell off a heavy drinker benz S320,and get myself a smart for two passion. Is anyone have any opinion about this car? Not the look,or the useablility,i just want to know the maintainance,or any usual problems or engine failure any owners might encounter with. Now,i have own 5 cars. They are :bawling4 sport/2doors & performance,one family sedan. I'm planning to sell off 2 of them,the S320 and the daihatsu mira opti,i'll keep my favourite honda S2000,mitsubishi evo 7.5 and my beloved hyundai coupe,the one i usually i go work with.
the reason i want to buy a smart for two is,i can accept it's concept and it's design is still acceptable. Besides i need a happy car for weekend shopping,as i really hate to park my S2000 or evo at shopping center,always get dent at the side door..really hate it so much.

liz@rd

Known Member
Sep 25, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
but if u can own 5 cars , i dun see a reason why you are worried about maintenance on the smart for 2 , heck i will even keep the S320 , just sell the daihatsu ...

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
For me, I'll keep the opti :love:

got 4 door... have the same cc/kerb weight as the smart.... the money spent on buying the smart can be used to improve it such as plunk in JB-JL turbo engine from L5 Mira

drove it once... (my uncle's)... not as perky as a mira turbo that is...

just my IMHO

mind asking, dis is the real opti? L3 or the L8?

really luv the car... :adore: especially dis one

Last edited:

rex79gt

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2008
Ngiao City
i hav a smart fortwo at home since 2006
the FC is very low, easy to park around, no major issue on maintenance as well
the only thing is the timing on changing gear, it will b like u;re riding a scooter, there will b a bit lagging which i don really like it personally
overall, it's a loving car that worth to invest :P

ivanlee202

Jun 12, 2009
The car maintenance is almost virtually none. Normal maintenance is sufficient. As you mentions. you own some major maintenance cars, therefore smart for 2 is nothing. I point of advice is buy the windscreen insurance. The rear windscreen cost RM15k for replacement. I got a shock that day when I'm at the workshop looking at the smart for 2 that got its windscreen replace.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
does smart for2 still for sale here in m'sia? if got the zytek version (electric) here lagi best :love:

raining

Known Member
Oct 7, 2006
kuala lumpur
bad news,i just cae back from mercedes showroom,they said their boss no longer bring in smart for two because it's over-priced..damn stupid!! it's a nice car,they should not do this to it.
Ya,that's the mira i got in ur photo,but mine is silver color,original. This car was owned by Sultan Azlan Shah,it's the only unit in M'sia.. I think the engine is L3 fuel injection. Although is a small car,but got auto wiper censor,auto head lamp,power steering,4 speed auto plus turbo timer-look alike RPM clock. But the car is damn slow n underpower. I want to sell it off,but i haven't advertise yet.

Bump: this is the photo of my mira opti

Bump: this is the photo of my mira opti

Bump:

Bump:

Bump: The bikes picture is extra..The one in the front is R1 and the back is R6. They are quite fast,faster than cars

Bump: The bikes picture is extra..The one in the front is R1 and the back is R6. They are quite fast,faster than cars

Bump:

Bump:

Bump: anyone like motorcycle in this forum??

Bump: anyone like motorcycle in this forum??

Bump: RM15k just for a windscreen,that's what i'm talking about bro..expensive maintanance..even we buy insurance for a RM15k rear screen,the premium cost about RM1500/year..damn

Bump: RM15k just for a windscreen,that's what i'm talking about bro..expensive maintanance..even we buy insurance for a RM15k rear screen,the premium cost about RM1500/year..damn

Attachments

Last edited:

rex79gt

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2008
Ngiao City
than mod yr mira to turbo charged engine then
it;s rarer car compare to smarts
else juz get a 2nd hand smart fortwo :P
love yr bikes
hehe

hitokiri

Jan 5, 2004
I've been using ForTwo since 06. This is the one car that I don't have spend time in the workshop.

Just the normal servicing, and wiper replacement.
No engine problems, no electrical problems.... NONE!!!

Only few days ago I found my biggest problem which costs RM700.
My rear tires are worn out and I have to replace it.
Buying the original set (175/55/15) would costs me RM700 but I'm trying some alternative for the tires.
I bought 2x 195/50/15 and leave the front tires standard. Now the ESP always kicks in due to the different heights from standard.
Now, to avoid any problems, I'm going to buy the RM700 tires and just replace the 195/50/15.

Other than that.... It's a FUN CAR TO DRIVE!!!

also, I remembered receiving a quote from Daimler, saying the windows replacement would only costs RM5k for ALL windows (top, front,back,passenger).
Don't take my word for it, you can call Hap Seng Star to confirm.

I have a smart to sell, but if nobody buys it, I'd just keep it. Fun to drive and easy for parking.
Even if I park at a corner/very tight illegal place, my car won't be clamped. I don't interrupt traffic flow.. :wavey:
I too have too many cars in my possesion and thinking of freeing up some financial obligations to buy another MPV car.

Here's my ForTwo thread:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/cars-for-sale/228055-smart-fortwo-pulse-phat-red.html

To summarize:
If you're looking for a day to day going to work alone, weekend shopping car,
BUY THE SMART FORTWO. :rofl:

cruiser

Known Member
Aug 12, 2004
why not consider the Smart Roadster?

raining

Known Member
Oct 7, 2006
kuala lumpur
I already got a roadster,i won't be considering smart roadster. I'm interested at ur smart for two,where can i view your car? if u are planning to sell it.

Bump: recently i called mercedes benz for appointment to view the smart for two,i was told the car is no longer available in malaysia. This started to make me worry if next time i need to order parts,they straight away tell me they don't sell parts anymore. Just like what happened last time when i seek honda service center for honda S2000 parts,they told me they don't sell S2000 parts,see..this i smalaysia..honda that don't sell honda parts. Stupid asshole

Bump: recently i called mercedes benz for appointment to view the smart for two,i was told the car is no longer available in malaysia. This started to make me worry if next time i need to order parts,they straight away tell me they don't sell parts anymore. Just like what happened last time when i seek honda service center for honda S2000 parts,they told me they don't sell S2000 parts,see..this i smalaysia..honda that don't sell honda parts. Stupid asshole

dktuning

Dec 15, 2009
Penang
www.DKTUNING.com
I own a Smart Fortwo passion, too. There should not be any worry for Smart parts. Well, over here in penang, we know of a shop who imports a lot of continental parts at much cheaper price compared to the Service Centres. Love the torquey engine, but now can't stand not driving it daily.

Had the car remapped. Now it runs at higher boost, smoother gearchange and speed limiter removed. I have had a lot of Latio, Vios, and other makes trying to catch up on trunk roads but they simply can't!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

rex79gt

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2008
Ngiao City
wow, how u ppl remap?
thinking to do that to my bro's fortwo as well :P

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
raining - from your description, i knew some1 that owned exactly the cars you mentioned.are u Paul that i knew last time stayed sri gombak? if yes , heard that u had move to a nice home now..... im Teh if u still remember me.

Last edited:

dktuning

Dec 15, 2009
Penang
www.DKTUNING.com
Dear rex79gt, remapping for a Smart Fortwo is done through the OBD port. THe process takes about 2 hours. I'll be down to KL in january 2010 for Remapping session. Do check out our website for the upcoming dates.