Is heel and toe needed for FF layout cars?

CountersteerSan

Known Member
Feb 16, 2013
Johor
Hey sifu-sifus, is heel and toe needed for FF layout cars? As far as I know, the reason for heel toe is to prevent the breaking out of the rear during downshifting when entering a corner right? Besides that the other only benefit is maintaining rev? So is this technique really needed in like ff layout cars?

Paiseh ahh I really don't know :biggrin:

neohadri

Known Member
Jul 5, 2008
I hv tried without it, car jerking, gb sound strain, i cant imagine that be good

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Me think it applies to all cars with manual transmission.... me no expert but the theory that to maintain the power band during gear changes...

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
if you do it right (matching the rev as you down shift)...the "engine braking" will help stop/slow the car faster than using the brake alone...

practice and get to know your car...for me and i'm no pro...bleeping the throttle is easy...getting the brake and clutch pedal to work harmoniously without making the car jerk is the hard part...

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Yep, echoing what others have said, it's for all manual cars, regardless of layout. It works well coupled with late braking.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
if you do it right (matching the rev as you down shift)...the "engine braking" will help stop/slow the car faster than using the brake alone...

practice and get to know your car...for me and i'm no pro...bleeping the throttle is easy...getting the brake and clutch pedal to work harmoniously without making the car jerk is the hard part...
just learned how to blip the throttle when downshift... still jerks but once in a while (make it 3 out of 10 tries :mad: ) it shift smoothly and made me smile :biggrin:

but then, when try to learn heel-toeing kinda cramping my legs.... maybe the kancil's pedal placement is not that optimum... :hmmmm: or me being the 'kaki bangku' :rofl:

but one of my touge-crazed friend suggest left foot braking... i tried it, hurts my head when banging the steering wheel :banghead:

neohadri

Known Member
Jul 5, 2008
just learned how to blip the throttle when downshift... still jerks but once in a while (make it 3 out of 10 tries :mad: ) it shift smoothly and made me smile :biggrin:

but then, when try to learn heel-toeing kinda cramping my legs.... maybe the kancil's pedal placement is not that optimum... :hmmmm: or me being the 'kaki bangku' :rofl:

but one of my touge-crazed friend suggest left foot braking... i tried it, hurts my head when banging the steering wheel :banghead:
If u need to do it, place ur heel on floor, that should help to give some control on how much pressure u apply on brake pedal, that being said for me left foot braking is kindda dangerous to use on public road

CountersteerSan

Known Member
Feb 16, 2013
Johor

In my case, controlling the amount of pressure on the brake pedal is really a pain in the buntut because there's no ABS on my car. There was once I skidded straight on a wide 90 degree corner. Luckily dint hit anything :smokin:

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007

yeah i get what you mean...the smooth transition on the downshift...enough to put a smile on my face also...not to mention the weight transfer to the front smoothly...not jerking/shiftlocking all over the place...hehehe

at first my stock paddle are too wide apart...and my foot will be in an awkward position if i try to heel and toe...got some aftermarket paddle thingy...now its in a more relaxed position...being said that...it still takes a lot of practice to master it (even now still in kindergarten level :smokin: )...

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
Actually, there's a misconception of the purpose of heel-and-toeing...

Its not to put the engine in the power band..normal shift also can..
Its not to provide engine braking...normal shift also can...

Its to prevent your wheel locking during the downshift from the abrupt clutch release...

I dont think you can do/need to do left-foot braking for heel and toe...

CountersteerSan

Known Member
Feb 16, 2013
Johor

Its to prevent your wheel locking during the downshift from the abrupt clutch release...

The sudden clutch release that causes the locking of wheels is like clutch kicking technique in fr layouts to drift ahhh?
Hmmm, normal downshift can provide engine brake but don't think you can maintain a higher rev range if you don't heel toe it, right? Maybe if you just brake and down shift you'll exit a corner at like 3~4k+ rpm? But if you heel toe, maybe you can increase the rev to like 5~6k? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm very sure also :confused:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
If u need to do it, place ur heel on floor, that should help to give some control on how much pressure u apply on brake pedal, that being said for me left foot braking is kindda dangerous to use on public road
some advance driving at some europe country do encourage left foot braking even on public road. don't practice on public roads la :biggrin:

yeah i get what you mean...the smooth transition on the downshift...enough to put a smile on my face also...not to mention the weight transfer to the front smoothly...not jerking/shiftlocking all over the place...hehehe

at first my stock paddle are too wide apart...and my foot will be in an awkward position if i try to heel and toe...got some aftermarket paddle thingy...now its in a more relaxed position...being said that...it still takes a lot of practice to master it (even now still in kindergarten level :smokin: )...
as per kancil, it seem to narrow and my brake pedal seems too high compare to other pedal

yup... either heel/toeing or left-foot... not both...

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I'm always using left foot braking now but I'm driving auto cars. It's just like playing gokart. :)
If manual cars of course most of the time just right foot braking like normal. Only if you don't need to down shift in a corner then you can do left foot braking, but if you need to down shift obviously your left foot need to press the clutch lah. :)
But whether left or right foot braking is more about your preference, which one do you like and can get used to, there's no right or wrong about it. If you're not used to doing left foot braking then don't do it. If you want to try, practice it first in an empty road and watch your mirrors before you apply braking because most first timers will hit too hard and brake too suddenly.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
for one thing, learning to left-foot braking is simpler compared to heel-toeing...still open for debate though hehe... but here's a thought on left-foot braking

Why You Should Brake With Your Left Foot

We got a friend once, who swap an auto-trans daihatsu mira L5 turbo to his kancil. stock-for-stock, he can keep up with us when touge on our fave back road... one of his secret was he like to brake with his left foot. at that time, we've thought it was weird

now our group disbanded and he moved on to bigger car, and he still can't shed his left-foot braking

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Hey sifu-sifus, is heel and toe needed for FF layout cars? As far as I know, the reason for heel toe is to prevent the breaking out of the rear during downshifting when entering a corner right? Besides that the other only benefit is maintaining rev? So is this technique really needed in like ff layout cars?

Paiseh ahh I really don't know :biggrin:
Locking the wheels on any platform are not preferred. H&T is all about maintaining a smooth transition between gears. Anyway, good question in a long time, regardless how newbie it may seem, and yes, do it for the love of manual cars. Practice it well and perform it like it's an art.

In my case, controlling the amount of pressure on the brake pedal is really a pain in the buntut because there's no ABS on my car. There was once I skidded straight on a wide 90 degree corner. Luckily dint hit anything :smokin:
From my experience, here are ways to improve your H&T learning experience:
- ACTUALLY using your TOEs rather than the whole foot to get a better feel of your brake pedal.
- Your Toe need not be in center of pedal. Try far right of the brake pedal.
- DONT press the gas pedal. STAB / Jab it in a sharp, quick motion to rapidly up the revs.
- More revs is always better than less revs. Always try more then gradually lessen to taste.
- Brake first. Then almost ALL AT ONCE: clutch in, jab the throttle, shift and release clutch.
- The lower the gear you need the shift, the higher you need to rev.
- Never be satisfied with your H&T. Keep mastering it till you get it right every time.
- A good H&T = NO JERK whatsoever.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
- ACTUALLY using your TOEs rather than the whole foot to get a better feel of your brake pedal.
- DONT press the gas pedal. STAB / Jab it in a sharp, quick motion to rapidly up the revs.
- More revs is always better than less revs. Always try more then gradually lessen to taste.
- Brake first. Then almost ALL AT ONCE: clutch in, jab the throttle, shift and release clutch.
- Never be satisfied with your H&T. Keep mastering it till you get it right every time.
thanks! :adore:

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
Thanks!

Thats why its named HEEL n TOE..
I found it easier when using racing shoes, like Puma...
Also, when using car that eager to rev, lightened flywheel on manual...
Auto car slower to rev, need more stab/jab on the throttle...
Last, best to do during heavy braking...less feel need on brake pedal and better rev matching..

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks!

Thats why its named HEEL n TOE..
I found it easier when using racing shoes, like Puma...
Also, when using car that eager to rev, lightened flywheel on manual...
Auto car slower to rev, need more stab/jab on the throttle...
Last, best to do during heavy braking...less feel need on brake pedal and better rev matching..
Auto cars don't need H&T la. :)

Anyway also best if you have cars with good pedal placement between the brake & gas. If too far apart and/or the brake is sticking out too much, then more difficult to practice. May need to buy some pedal extensions like the Razo one where the lower right of the brake and the lower left of the gas can be extended to make the spacing closer.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Sifus,

I'm Abu Samah and just buy Lancer Sportback 2012. I still not mod my car even still not tinted my car due my work. Less of time bro. anyway, i wanna ask where can I find Lancer Sportback bodykit like in the attachments in Malaysia perhaps can be in Johor. (hope can install also that LED light)

I also wanna ask if I install E-manage how about the warranty? is it effect on my warranty or not?

hope all sifus can help me coz I'm not good in car. Thanks in advanced.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience