How to clean the engine.

Broadica

Jul 14, 2004
Originally posted by MetalZone@Aug 3 2004, 02:58 PM
hi guys... any tips on how to clean the engine? use what? what not to touch?
i use engine degreeser. any brand will do.

b4 spray... make sure ur engine is cold. dun do it during ur engine is hot.. bad for ur engine.

wrap all the sensitive part of ur engine with plastic begs.
- distributor
- ecu
- open pod filter ( u dun wan kena water on this)
- any other things that is sensitive to water... (common sense la)

spray to those parts with lots of greese dirts. try to avoid spraying degreeser on rubber material.. like the belts.

leave for about 5-10 minutes.. rinse wif water.. spray water when needed only on those hard thick dirts.

there u go.. a clean engine :D

MrNismo

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
I don't use degreaser & spray water on the engine. What I use is:

- WD40: to remove oil stains. Just spray on & wipe off with cloth.
- Resin polish: for painted parts like cylinder head cover.
- Mirror cleaner: for polished metal & chrome parts.
- Wet cloth: will clean any other things.

You wouldn't want to spray water on fuel-injected engines as the sensors are very sensitive. You won't know what you may screw up.

krow

Known Member
Dec 4, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
my experience of having a top mounted IC and an incline mounted engine.

after engine wash, water drips into the plug sockets. one or more cyclinders not firing. have to take out TMIC and dry up the plug sockets. so lecehful so until today never wash engine again

:D

Broadica

Jul 14, 2004
aiks.. Mr Nismo.. u r rite..

mine carby car.. dun hav such sensors or injector problem.. hence for injector car.. more care is needed

r33_abflug

Known Member
Feb 28, 2004
use degreaser spray or any engine bay cleaning foam to clean it.there r alots in the market.Just go n buy it.:)

redknight

Known Member
Aug 8, 2004
perdana
Visit site
sorry to kacau ur question coldfish,just to share with u guys my knowledge..one of my friend he wash his engine with 1 sabun fab buku and berus :blink: !!!! and the result,macam engine baru babe!!!try it la..hehe..cheaper way to wash ur engine,goodluck!!!

oldtimer1035

Aug 2, 2004
s.alam
Visit site
engine cleaning...ha haha....do it at your own risks......esp with modern engine...so many sensors and electronics....
if u must do it better do it urself rather than to let a service station do it....this way if things go wrong u only hv yourself to blame....whatever it is cover all sensitive parts carefully...this advice cannot be overempahsized....many an engine cannot be started cos a tiny wee bit of water leaked into the sensitive parts.
btw, most automobile engineers will frown on u if u wash ur engine,even if using engine degreaser...way back sometime ago a mechanic nearly got sacked when a french engineer saw him washing the engine of his friend`s car..there are other safe ways to clean an engine i believe. MrNismo way is one of them i think;)

MrNismo

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
Originally posted by coldfish@Aug 10 2004, 06:33 PM
so what do u guys use to clean the stainless steel headers? possible?
Actually conventional windows cleaner like the Polyglaze Window Cleaner will work well on stainless steel. I found out that the Autoglym Fast Glass works well too. If there are scratches on it, then you might need Autosol.

simplythebest

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Selangor
can we use autosol to remove minor scratches from our car body? I only use autosol on my windscreen. :unsure: , i dare not try.

MrNismo

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
Originally posted by simplythebest@Aug 11 2004, 10:34 PM
can we use autosol to remove minor scratches from our car body? I only use autosol on my windscreen. :unsure: , i dare not try.
No, don't try that. For body scratches I found out that the Autoglym Paint Renovator is very effective, especially for 'quite deep' scratches. For minor scratches, normal resin polish will do.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We love automotive designers. They truly allow their thoughts and ideas to run wild and are free of all marketing and sales leashes that dictate everything from a how a vehicle should look like, to which market segment it caters for, and to some extent the power figures and such. Independent designers don't have that crap around their necks, just take a look at this old-school Audi...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience