How to buy/import a car direct from Japan?

Aura

1,500 RPM
Apr 28, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Scenario:

Ali felt the price of Evolution 3 sold in Malaysia is a bit high. He found in advert in the magazine, ZTH, AutoWorld, MotorTrader, ppl sell Evo 3 for RM 60K..But when he surf the internet, he found that the Evo 3 sold in Japan and can be couriered to Malaysia for USD 8,700 or somehow around RM 30,450..Can he buy direct from Japan cz the company which sell the Evo 3 wanna to letgo it for USD 8,700..

If he want to buy or import it by himself, is it possible? If possible, what is the exact step that he should take in order to fulfill his dream to own a real Evo 3 (rather than make up his Wira to Evo 3 bodykit while the engine is only GSR Turbo) ??? Anyone have info/knowledge are welcome to discuss about this (including KASTAM, import duty and exhaise, MITI, AP, etc)..

Anyway, can help Ali if the car is RM 30,450, everything he must pay before the car can touch Malaysian road, how much? Still RM 60K? :mad: Luckily, I am not that Ali..

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
hehe....the importation of car is not so easy.

if not, all Ali, Ahmad, Ah Kau and infamous Ah Beng will import their own Evo.

On the bigger scale, our local car biz will close shop....not good rite?

QuickRide

Known Member
Aug 31, 2007
Well, I'm not sure but you can ask car dealers for their opinion. But I doubt there will be a reduction in price because Malaysia will still tax the car if you import it or not. What ken_yeang said is right. If the we import the car ourselves can be cheaper, everyone will do it as well thus causing local car biz to go 'kaput'!. You can give it a try still though at car dealers. Maybe they can give more information. :)