Help! Washing Microfiber Cloth After ONR

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
The one thing that really put me off about using ONR is dirt would literally stick on the microfiber cloth and I had to resort to really hard scrubbing and, even then, I'm not able to wash most of them off. Considering how sensitive microfiber cloths are, these kind of scrubbing would tremendously shorten it's useful life. Good quality microfiber cloths are not cheap and difficult to find over here and I just can't convince myself to use those cheapo ones. I've also tried using the Schmitt, lambswool, those dreadlocks kinda mf wash mitt, synthetic wool, etc. but they are either not as effective in safely picking up the dirt or difficult to clean as well. I still find that a plush microfiber cloth works best.

There are lots of information/guides out there on how to use ONR. But I just can't find anything good information on how to clean the mf after using ONR. Do you really have to throw one away after one use?

So, ONR users out there, do you use mf cloths and which type? How many mf cloths have you wasted? How long do your cloth last when using it with ONR? Do you still use them even though you can clearly see the black dirt stain on your mf? How do you clean them? Any alternative but still safe (for paintwork) wash media to use with ONR?

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
Bro there is a post kc did that also covered how to clean the mf.

Another option u may wanna consider is getting the new opti mint. It's a washing mint made for onr see kc's latest post and u will see it there

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
I have the Schmitt. Looks identical. Do you know if there's any difference between the two?

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
The one thing that really put me off about using ONR is dirt would literally stick on the microfiber cloth and I had to resort to really hard scrubbing and, even then, I'm not able to wash most of them off. Considering how sensitive microfiber cloths are, these kind of scrubbing would tremendously shorten it's useful life. Good quality microfiber cloths are not cheap and difficult to find over here and I just can't convince myself to use those cheapo ones. I've also tried using the Schmitt, lambswool, those dreadlocks kinda mf wash mitt, synthetic wool, etc. but they are either not as effective in safely picking up the dirt or difficult to clean as well. I still find that a plush microfiber cloth works best.
Bro krismas. You have answered your own question about why the dirt sticks to the MF towel when using ONR. As you have rightfully pointed out, the reason the MF towel collects the dirt is so that it is SAFE for the paint and does NOT scratch the paint while washing. ONR was designed in such a manner whereby the polymers in ONR lay down a protective layer on the paint as well as encapsulating the dirt particles and pulling them into the MF towel to PROTECT the paint from scratches which is why MF towels are the recommended medium for washing with ONR as the microfibers pick up and trap the dirt particles.

I posted a ONR guide quite some time ago:
ProDetailing: ONR- Optimum No Rinse Guide

At the end of the post I show how easy it is to 'release' the dirt from the MF towel. Just spray on some APC and rinse off.

I will also be posting a review on the Optimum Opti-Mitt soon.

Hope this helps. Cheers!!!

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
There's no question on how effective the ONR in 'encapsulation' and 'lifting' dirt, and I agree that the best 'dirt-collecting' media is a plush mf. I'm just curious whether there's a more effective way to remove the dirt from the mf without causing much harm to the mf itself. Cuz most of the time I can only wash off around 60% - 70% of the dirt. It doesn't seemed to be as easy as the guide there and some dirt stain still remained. And I'm talking about trying out everything that I have from APC, OPC, Degreaser, Dawn, FAB, BREEZE, Sunlight, etc. (hehehe...I think you already know how many types of 'chemical cleaners' I have). This including shooting it down with my pressure washer (which in this case works the best but really beats the convenience of having to bring it out and set it up just to wash the mfs). I haven't resort to scrubbing yet as that would definitely spoil the fibers of the mf. Anybody else is having this kind of situations or is it just me being too OCD about it....

Anyway, since I can't really get them clean enough (by my standard), how safe is it for re-use on the paint?

Oh...since you mentioned Opti Mitt, how does it compares to the Schmitt in term of foam construction?

Note: the particular mf that I'm talking about is the Cobra Shamrock, my most preferred choice when using ONR/DNR.

Last edited:

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
There's no question on how effective the ONR in 'encapsulation' and 'lifting' dirt, and I agree that the best 'dirt-collecting' media is a plush mf. I'm just curious whether there's a more effective way to remove the dirt from the mf without causing much harm to the mf itself. Cuz most of the time I can only wash off around 60% - 70% of the dirt. It doesn't seemed to be as easy as the guide there and some dirt stain still remained. And I'm talking about trying out everything that I have from APC, OPC, Degreaser, Dawn, FAB, BREEZE, Sunlight, etc. (hehehe...I think you already know how many types of 'chemical cleaners' I have). This including shooting it down with my pressure washer (which in this case works the best but really beats the convenience of having to bring it out and set it up just to wash the mfs). I haven't resort to scrubbing yet as that would definitely spoil the fibers of the mf. Anybody else is having this kind of situations or is it just me being too OCD about it....

Anyway, since I can't really get them clean enough (by my standard), how safe is it for re-use on the paint?

Oh...since you mentioned Opti Mitt, how does it compares to the Schmitt in term of foam construction?

Note: the particular mf that I'm talking about is the Cobra Shamrock, my most preferred choice when using ONR/DNR.
I think that it would almost be impossible to remove 100% of all the stains in the MF as it also depends on what the MF picks up off the paint. The OPC does work very well to release, most if not all of the dirt trapped in the MF so it should be safe to reuse even if there are some stains on it.

If staining is an issue then maybe it would be better to use some cheaper MF towels and just throw them away after a few washes. (Which is still cheaper than any roadside car wash.)

Have not tried the Schmitt but just posted my review on the Optimum Opti-Mitt here:
ProDetailing: Optimum No-Rinse (ONR) Guide with Optimum Opti-Mitt and Optimum Opti-Seal

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Opti Mitt is 85 - 90 ppi. Got it. Let see if I can find anything about the Schmitt. Thanks Jack.

Since the Opti Mitt came out, a lot have been asked about it's color and I'm wondering about the same thing. Why black? What do you think? Would it be more preferable if it's light colored so that you would be able to see if there's any dirt left after you rinse it off and before it goes back onto the paintwork?

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

hhmm...looks like the Shmitt is 80 ppi. I wonder whether that would make any difference. Let see if I can find one to make a head to head like CEE DOG did.

Last edited:

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Just a simple hobby....it's not really as complicated and it sound....hehehe....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
It's not the hobby I'm referring to, it's the attention to detail! Like the dirt getting stuck in MF when using ONR! That's not something I would have even noticed if it were me!

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Well....there's a saying amongst the detailers...."the difference between normal polishing and detailing is in the details."

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
hmm bro krismas i never really seen ur work before. mind to post some?

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
I just work on my own cars and on a few friends and family members'. Never done any for money/commercial detail. Let see if I can find some photos......

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

This is my cupboard under my porch with most of my maintenance stuffs

Testing out the 'cleaners' pH the other day

Wet sanding and doing some leveling on the front portion of my Waja

Not-so-good 50/50 of my attempt in removing the sanding marks

All done and pulling out the car outside for inspection under the sun

Engine bay

Nice beading......:biggrin:

My myvi

Inspecting under the sun before going further

Sheeting action when experimenting with a glass coating

50/50 restoring my sister's Atos headlamp

Is it snowing.....

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Thanks bro eohl79, but sometimes pictures tend to exaggerate a bit. But I really do LOVE the reflections after some good leveling....:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all ZTH-members, I driving a Honda City 2009. SC always refused to fix it from the 1st I get the car until the 2 and a half year then I give up as they say "is cold ma, other honda city also same". I know is not same as my 3 of my friend's car have no problem when I ride and borrow their car.

My problem is the air con not cold and no cold air coming out from the vent during hot weather. Either driving or park and go below the hot sun. When I rev my car and drive hard, a little cold air...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience